Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your opinion about the Cudeman MT-5 fixed blade

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Your opinion about the Cudeman MT-5 fixed blade
on: October 21, 2021, 01:55:35 AM
I plan to gift a friend a Cudeman MT-5 black oxide knife in upcoming holiday season. The intention is for camping. I would like some inputs from actual users of the knife and the brand:

- How do you like about the knife ergo? Is the steel blade durable for small tasks like cutting small branches/ tinder, food prep? Easy to sharpen?

- Is the black oxide food safe?

Receipient is a female living oversea. The knife is nice looking and feels good in my hand. Just want to make sure I am not gifting a lemon. I am not a camper or a steel guru, so any input is appreciated.  :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Your opinion about the Cudeman MT-5 fixed blade
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 02:47:24 AM
I Googled it.  It looks like a fairly solid knife in your basic Kephart pattern.  It should be a good all around bushcraft and camp knife.  I can't say if the black coating is food safe as my quick search didn't find any with the coating. :cheers:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 04:49:09 AM
I have no experience with the brand, so don’t want to venture an opinion without having held one in my hand.

If you have potential concerns about the black coating, why not get one that is uncoated?  Plain steel looks classy and timeless, and the only real benefits of the black coated versions are:
1) Some people think they look cool
2) She won’t have to worry about light reflecting off the blade giving her position away to the enemy when she is conducting top secret covert operations ;-)

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 02:12:22 AM
I have no experience with the brand, so don’t want to venture an opinion without having held one in my hand.

If you have potential concerns about the black coating, why not get one that is uncoated?  Plain steel looks classy and timeless, and the only real benefits of the black coated versions are:
1) Some people think they look cool
2) She won’t have to worry about light reflecting off the blade giving her position away to the enemy when she is conducting top secret covert operations ;-)

You see, I am cheap.  ::) I did not go out of my way to seek this knife. It was bought among a lot of knives online without much thought, except "oh, it is Spanish made and looks kinda cool!". I was impressed when handling it, and the gifting was a spur of the moment. So black oxide it is  >:D I will probably note "no food safe guarantee".

Alan K: thank you for the input. It does feel like a well built bushcraft knife. People mentioned it in a few posts here, thus I hoped some actual users would chime in.

Stock picture of the knife attached.
s-l1600.jpg
* s-l1600.jpg (Filesize: 30.96 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 08:29:15 PM
Just make sure it is legal for your friend to have that knife where she lives before you try to send it.  If she doesn't want it you can send it to me! :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%