Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK: Pruning blade from 93mm SAK 2 in 58mm frame?

de Offline Matus

SAK: Pruning blade from 93mm SAK 2 in 58mm frame?
on: October 12, 2021, 11:24:45 AM
Hi, did any of you profi tinkers even tried to implement some of the tools from the large frames into the 58 mm frame? I am wondering whether the pruning blade from the Swiss Army Knife 2 could be fit into the 58 mm Alox. Length wise it just might fit, but I am not sure whether one could adjust the pivot area on the blade in a way that the tip of the blade does not hit the spring when closed.  To me this would be an awesome mod as this tiny blade is super practical (opening packages, cutting strings, sharpening pencils).

Offline ComboTool

Re: SAK: Pruning blade from 93mm SAK 2 in 58mm frame?
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 12:09:51 PM
I can only think of one 91mm tool which has been adapted to the 58mm frame, and that was the backspring awl but maybe others will know more. I'm no "profi tinker" but I don't see how what you propose would work. Adapting the pivot area is probably feasible, but the blade is much deeper than 58mm tools so the spine will protrude a lot in closed position.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 03:10:38 AM
Totally possible.

My only caution would be that 58mm isn’t much of a handle when one of these is sharpened well.

But I think it’s a cool idea and might attempt the mod myself sometime, probably using a 91mm variant. I think mounted opposite the scissors would work for me. A lot of the blade sides would be exposed when closed for the way I’m thinking it would work.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 03:18:12 AM by kamakiri »
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

de Offline Matus

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 01:33:59 PM
Thank you. Indeed - a lot of the blade would be sticking out - maybe one option could be to grind the spine of the blade a bit and make a new nail nick. A very good point is the handle - 58mm frame will not allow for as a safe operation as 91/93 does - that is something I will give a more though to.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $26.00
PayPal Fees: $1.57
Net Balance: $24.43
Below Goal: $275.57
Site Currency: USD
 8%