Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Harvester / Swiss Army 7 for garden work? 558

Newbie Posts: 9
Harvester / Swiss Army 7 for garden work?
« on: October 14, 2021, 12:43:48 AM »
I am wondering if anybody is using Harvester for actual garden work. Is the pruning blade suitable for real pruning? Could you share experiences?
No Life Club Posts: 1,714
Re: Harvester / Swiss Army 7 for garden work?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 04:06:11 AM »
Have been curious about this myself for years.   I'm forever threatening to get myself one for spring and fall yard & garden cleanup.  :)
No Life Club Posts: 2,625
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 07:51:05 AM »
Yes it works fine - I use one in my garden kit - the saw comes in very handy too! :tu:
Full Member Posts: 245
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 08:13:11 AM »
I have a harvester, I like it a lot, and it was my first alox SAK. Is it suitable for garden work depends on how often you use it. If you use it very often it is better to get
bigger carbon steel pruning blade for real pruning, it will hold the edge longer. Harvester is more like mushroom hunting knife. Saw is very handy, but it is small.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 11:11:03 AM »
Thanks for the input. My goal is to have it for occasional yard work and... harvest! The yard/garden is rather small, no huge appIe orchard.

I am contemplating two options - harvester + dedicated shears or RangerGrip 71 gardener + sak pruning knife.

I know I can get both but I prefer not to have unused tools around so would like to pick only one.
Hero Member Posts: 708
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 05:28:17 PM »
Is the Harvester known by another name or DC-ed? Can't seem to find it in SAKWIKI or any of my usual dealers.
Thanks for any help.

Edit:  Never mind, found it on Amazon (of course)  ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:40:50 PM by Rich S »

------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,559 I'm blue!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 05:43:55 PM »

I am contemplating two options - harvester + dedicated shears or RangerGrip 71 gardener + sak pruning knife.

I have experience with both combos, they will do fine for light garden duty. The pruning blade on the Harvester is a bit too small for my liking, and of course the Rangergrip´s saw is much larger than the Harvester´s. The Rangergrip scissors do well on flowers, less so on wood. I´d go for Rangergrip + dedicated shears. Personally, atm I use a Bushcrafter mod + dedicated shears + folding saw. And to be honest, the shears and saw get used more often than the Bushcrafter. And pruning with shears is a lot easier than pruning with a knife.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 06:27:30 PM by Ron Who »

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 09:37:37 PM »
Yes, it seems the shears are the key tool here and dedicated ones are needed. I was hoping to find a simple, universal solution- just grab and go - but it is not easy. Really appreaciate your input, thanks!
No Life Club Posts: 2,465
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 08:07:52 PM »
Thanks for the input. My goal is to have it for occasional yard work and... harvest! The yard/garden is rather small, no huge appIe orchard.

I know I can get both but I prefer not to have unused tools around so would like to pick only one.

I’d vote harvester and shears.

I usually garden with Corona bypass and either a 100mm Vic hawksbill or an Outdoorsman (older style with the pruner and serrated main.

I have the Rangergrip 71 and can’t say I like the scissors/shears. Saw is fine and large blade is okay, but not the knife I hoped it would be for me.

I use some of the other Vic gardening tools and knives depending on the specific tasks. Cut n hold shears are nice for almost out of reach branches or anything that I don’t want to pick up or can’t access with two hands. Larger pruning blades are nice when cutting out or thinning larger clumps.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 05:21:32 PM »
Thanks again for the hands on experience. Seems like harvester + shears is the way to go. Harvester can be always ready in my pocket, providing the blade, small pruning blade and saw and for dedicated work I will need to go back and take the shears. Moreover I do not have any 93mm alox so it is good way to check them.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 08:57:12 PM »
Today I got my Harvester, but I am somewhat unimpressed. As I mentioned, it is my first 93mm alox and it feels small for the intended garden work. I will probably return it and likely go for something bigger - 111/130 size (altough no prunning blades on the bigger knives).
No Life Club Posts: 2,465
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 05:58:16 AM »
I’m sorry the harvester didn’t work out for you. I do feel that even the 100mm could be a bit safer if it was larger/longer.

I just wish there were pruning blades for the larger frames too. My preference right now would be for 111mm.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $145.46
PayPal Fees: $7.81
Net Balance: $137.65
Below Goal: $162.35
Site Currency: USD
46%