Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Explorer thicknesses/versions?

Offline explorerfan

• New User
Explorer thicknesses/versions?
on: October 19, 2021, 05:02:43 AM
Hi SAK fans,

I bought my Victorinox Explorer in 2012 and carried it every day until I lost it recently. I'm trying to get hold of the same model again and I could use your help.

I ordered a new one but it seems thicker - the new one is 22mm, I never measured my old one but I remember it being more like 20mm. Most modern listings I can find for Explorers say it's 22mm, but some old posts have it a bit thinner, and SAKwiki has it at 20.7mm.

I've read that the Philips/mag layer might have changed - my old one had a clear magnifying glass which I think was plastic, the new one has a clear glass mag, I think the Philips screwdriver is shorter now too.

Can anyone confirm if the Explorer has changed size from (pre)2012 to now? And if anyone has an old Explorer I'd love to see photos either side by side with a new one or just with a ruler for scale.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Re: Explorer thicknesses/versions?
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 06:12:52 AM
I have four pre-2004 Explorers (so with original gray-frame mag glass) and they're all at 21mm thick. I'm sorry, I don't have any Explorers newer than that to compare with as I prefer that original mag glass.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 02:04:29 PM
 :iagree:

I just measured all of my Explorers, all gray-mag, and they're 21mm as well, ranging from 21.2mm to 21.5mm.
- Terry

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 12:50:28 AM
Two of my three Explorers have Plus scales. but I measured the one that doesn't (clear glass and shorter Phillips driver). 21 mm.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 04:06:46 PM
Post a pic of the top of your knife.

Back in ‘76, the Explorer was 20.45mm measuring at the end pins.

I’d expect the original ‘73 to be a bit wider for the blade layer (clip point). But going forward, I don’t think the layer thicknesses (tools/back springs) change much from there. But as I call ‘construction’ will vary quite a bit. The main driver in thickness changes should be from the liners and scales…and a bit from manufacturing tolerance.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%