Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Had to get a new tablet.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Had to get a new tablet.
on: October 17, 2021, 08:37:12 PM
My Samsung Tab A 10.5 2016 model's battery is giving up on me. It does not last a single day now. I looked online and bought a replacement battery that came with a tool kit. I watched several online videos but try as I might, I could not get the back cover off of it. I plan on still trying to replace that battery. I am thinking of paying a local repair shop to do it. Nothing wrong with it other than a charge does not last on it. Too bad I can't seem to get the back clips to loosen.

When I got the tablet, I was not sure if I would use it much. I found out I use it daily. With that in mind, I just purchased a Samsung Tab S6 Lite from the local Best Buy. I was eyeing the Samsung Tab A7 for 100 less, but the S6 Lite has a faster processor, more RAM, and an included S Pen. I went for the upgrade. I just finished ordering a Unicorn Beetle hard case off of Amazon for it. I love the case on my older Tab A so it was not a hard decision to get one for the newer tablet.

Replacing the old table's battery should give me a backup. I still have an old 4th gen iPad that I use for education.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Had to get a new tablet.
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 04:29:38 AM
Congrats on the upgrade :cheers: I have a very old (as far as tablets go) Samsung tablet circa 2013 for work and love it because of the 12 inch or so screen :o it had a Bluetooth keyboard/cover but it has unfortunately started acting up, it flickers at random and restarts at random  :ahhh I got a newer tablet that can be its replacement but the other works well for what I need it to and I am so use to it that it will be hard to change :facepalm:

Hope you can get your older one repaired  :tu: :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 09:31:20 AM
I hope I can. Just transferring all my personal settings to the new device using some Samsung software.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 08:39:37 PM
Congrats on the tablet and case.  I love my tablet and use it daily as well.  I prefer it over a laptop for most tasks.

I use UB cases for both phone and tablet.  They provided a good balance between protection and bulk without an outrageous price.

Hopefully, you can replace the battery on the old one to have a back-up.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 08:32:47 PM
Repair is tricky on tablets. I tried a new battery for my old Samsung, it worked for a while but I eventually replaced it with a cheapish Lenovo tab. (And happy i did)

A few weeks back my wife's Samsung tablet died. It's likely the USB port, a common failure on that model, and nearly impossible to get apart. I might try with a new board from Amazon, but it might be easier to grab something new... It had a good run. Pisses me off that both Samsungs were far from entry level models, and had pretty basic failures. Hers had charging issues for quite some time...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 11:48:18 PM
Just got the tablet repaired and giving it a full charge right now. I hope the battery will work out.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44