Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climber Lite Winter Magic Special Edition 2021

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Climber Lite Winter Magic Special Edition 2021
on: October 18, 2021, 08:11:59 PM
Hopefully getting one in the next week!  :popcorn:

Maybe not as nice as the Alox scaled 2020 Pioneer X release, but a nice tool load and design.
Screenshot 2021-10-18 201059.jpg
* Screenshot 2021-10-18 201059.jpg (Filesize: 77.28 KB)
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Re: Climber Lite Winter Magic Special Edition 2021
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 10:14:47 AM
I've just been trying to get one of these and one of the new Classics but I can't add it to my basket despite it saying "in stock." Maybe someone's trying to tell me something... :rofl:
We have the tools, we have the talent!

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 10:23:05 AM
Looks very nice!!!
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 10:35:07 AM
Nice! Looking forward to seeing some real life photos.
Also: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,88256.0.html
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 09:36:29 AM
Very nice, thanks Max. In Europe the sticker price is an insane 100 Euros! That's really a shame.

The idea of a Climber Lite is great, but if a Huntsman Lite can be had for less than half of what Vic charges for this LE - which you cannot put to everyday use without a bad conscience anyway - then something is seriously wrong.

I really hope they will be discounted some; I really would love to have one and put it to use.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 03:05:35 PM
Very nice, thanks Max. In Europe the sticker price is an insane 100 Euros! That's really a shame.

The idea of a Climber Lite is great, but if a Huntsman Lite can be had for less than half of what Vic charges for this LE - which you cannot put to everyday use without a bad conscience anyway - then something is seriously wrong.

I really hope they will be discounted some; I really would love to have one and put it to use.

Not my thing (Alox only) but yes; the price is CrAzY  :megaslap: :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Climber-Lite-Winter-Magic-Special-Edition-2021/p/1.7904.3E1

They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Kraken

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 11:46:34 AM
What's the likelihood of Victorinox making the Climber Lite are regular model, without the LE scales, after this run? I'm thinking that this might take the place of my Explorer as my EDC, especially during the darker winter months.
Semper Fortis

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 03:42:04 PM
I think it could happen, may depend on how quickly they sell out the 10,000 units.  :think:

The closest SAK is the Traveller Lite that that's basically a Climber Lite with the electronic scale. But these scales are EOL so you can expect to see these models fading away. This could help motivate for a Climber Lite.  :salute:

I took a Spartan Lite and added scissors to make it a Climber Lite (with transparent Plus scales). And as a party trick - I made the LED module removable so I can light a dark area AND use the inline Phillips. Was a simple mod with a ferrule to keep the spacers separated, and you have to rotate the LED module out of the SAK to remove it, so it won't fall out accidentally.

Climber Lite: No harm in asking...  :popcorn:

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 04:41:22 PM
Here are some more pics...dark blue outer cardboard sleeve with a cut-out for the Vic shield and the mountain design.

Clever stacked cardboard inner box made up of Z-folded layers. I expect we'll see more of this packaging for mid-range special edition/LE SAKs, as it's easy to add/remove layers depending on the SAK's size, and eco-friendly. Also note the moon trinket...

Beautiful design with echo line tracing around the design elements (similar to quilting). And they are all snowflakes, not stars, so it's OK to have one in front of the moon...  :D

Printing is slightly raised, but appears to have a clear-coat overlay as done on other Cellidor SAKs that have designs.

Reverse scale only has snowflakes. The tweezers tip and toothpick are black. Supplied with a micro-SD in the corkscrew. Pin hole but no pin.

Climber Lite tool load...a Spartan Lite with scissors, or an Explorer with LED instead of magnifier. A very useful tool set!

I think Victorinox have done a good job with this release...especially the tool load.  :tu:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 04:51:43 PM
Looks very nice. I really hope I can get one at a discount. In the meantime, I will continue to carry my Traveller Lite.

Max, does the Winter Climber have a nail file on the hook? That would be a nice bonus.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 05:01:45 PM
No...smooth. So +1 for the Traveller Lite.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 01:09:02 AM
I was hoping the shield was still an inlay.  :-[

It’s a nice treatment when those are put under the clear coat.

A little disappointed about the smooth hook too.

Thanks for the update and pics Max.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 06:49:18 AM
Awesome scales. I am a bit upset about those 8 sided snowflakes. Those should be hexagons because those are the bestagons.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 11:12:01 AM
Awesome scales. I am a bit upset about those 8 sided snowflakes. Those should be hexagons because those are the bestagons.

Hexactly!

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 07:14:02 PM
Hexactly!

:whistle:

🙃 There’s no stopping you two.

And now I’m not liking it any better.  :think:  :)
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 08:40:47 PM
No...smooth. So +1 for the Traveller Lite.

Victorinox really isn't making a big effort to smoothen the deal  :rofl:

Edit: I know, I know, Rainier was the one who should have written this...

ca Offline Altis

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 10:22:52 PM
Victorinox really isn't making a big effort to smoothen the deal  :rofl:

Edit: I know, I know, Rainier was the one who should have written this...

:facepalm: :facepalm:

The scales are very nice and it's always nice to see a new model.

I'm not really a fan of the light on SAKs since it's not very bright, pretty thick, takes consumable batteries, and built-in to the tool that I might need to use with a light. I'd rather just use the flashlight on my phone since it's brighter, separate from my SAK, and no new batteries to worry about, or use my Rovyvon A5X.

The Traveller Lite is also quite thick (25.5mm), especially for the toolset. I think I'd just go Explorer (22mm) or Super Tinker (17mm). Even the Deluxe Tinker with pliers is the same thickness (22mm) as the Climber Lite, though heavier.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 11:11:34 PM

I'm not really a fan of the light on SAKs since it's not very bright, pretty thick, takes consumable batteries, and built-in to the tool that I might need to use with a light. I'd rather just use the flashlight on my phone since it's brighter, separate from my SAK, and no new batteries to worry about, or use my Rovyvon A5X.

The Traveller Lite is also quite thick (25.5mm), especially for the toolset. I think I'd just go Explorer (22mm) or Super Tinker (17mm). Even the Deluxe Tinker with pliers is the same thickness (22mm) as the Climber Lite, though heavier.

All true, except if you are a city dwelling dog owner: I don't need a strong light, just one bright enough to find dog doo at night. Also, I usually don't take my cellphone with me when I just quickly go out with the dog for that one last order of business for the day. And the batteries last forever if you only use the light to search for droppings (unless of course it turns on in your pocket without your noticing  :facepalm:).

Admittedly, the Traveller Lite is relatively thick, but it's not so big as to be uncomfortable in the pocket (at least not to me), it's lightweight and the electronic scales are a cool bonus of which I have grown quite fond in the last months.

Bottom line: Lite SAKs rule ;)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2021, 06:42:17 PM
🙃 There’s no stopping you two.
(...)

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 07:24:46 PM
But you really should have quoted the entire post!  ;) :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 03:47:14 PM
But you really should have quoted the entire post!  ;) :D

The entire post?!

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 04:02:03 PM
The entire post?!

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, the whole thing, baby!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #22 on: October 27, 2021, 04:12:55 PM
Yeah, the whole thing, baby!

Yes, that is exactly what she said.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: October 28, 2021, 11:01:05 PM
Yes, that is exactly what she said.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #24 on: October 29, 2021, 12:33:55 AM
To be honest,  I fear Victorinox made a bad move with the 2020 Winter Magic Pioneer X.

A new pattern (and special colour) on Alox scales? And on a Pioneer X model, to make things even more awesome (or worse, depending on how you look at it...).

My first thought when I saw the 2020 Winter Magic was "how exactly are they going to top that next year?".

And I'm sorry to say,  but turns out they can't (in my opinion at least).

The fact that it's a cellidor model would mean that carrying it one time in your pocket for fun might already scratch those special scales, which isn't the case for the Alox 2020 version.

And I've always found SAKs with batteries a pain in the *** to store, even to a point that I actively avoid buying them.

So, for me it's a SAK that I can't carry, and I can't store in the collection and only look at it once a year. I'm basically scr*wed.

Anyway, I was quite relieved when I saw the 2021 version, since our budget is very tight for the moment, and this turns out to be one temptation less...  :P

Just my own, humble opinion, of course.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:54:03 AM by Top-Gear-24 »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #25 on: October 29, 2021, 07:30:49 AM
I agree 100% TG :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: October 29, 2021, 08:03:09 AM
Victorinox seems to be experimenting more with Alox these days, with the 2020 winter one and the new classics, which is good news,
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline Echotech

Reply #27 on: October 29, 2021, 08:24:12 AM
To be honest,  I fear Victorinox made a bad move with the 2020 Winter Magic Pioneer X.

A new pattern (and special colour) on Alox scales? And on a Pioneer X model, to make things even more awesome (or worse, depending on how you look at it...).

My first thought when I saw the 2020 Winter Magic was "how exactly are they going to top that next year?".

And I'm sorry to say,  but turns out they can't (in my opinion at least).

The fact that it's a cellidor model would mean that carrying it one time in your pocket for fun might already scratch those special scales, which isn't the case for the Alox 2020 version.

And I've always found SAKs with batteries a pain in the *** to store, even to a point that I actively avoid buying them.

So, for me it's a SAK that I can't carry, and I can't store in the collection and only look at it once a year. I'm basically scr*wed.

Anyway, I was quite relieved when I saw the 2021 version, since our budget is very tight for the moment, and this turns out to be one temptation less...  :P

Just my own, humble opinion, of course.

I agree 100% TG :tu:

:iagree: as well....the 2020 alox really was something quite special and although this year's LE looks quite nice and a little bit different, just doesn't have the same wow factor.....doesn't mean I won't get one but :dunno: either way won't be rushing

Victorinox seems to be experimenting more with Alox these days, with the 2020 winter one and the new classics, which is good news,

True dks, and if they'd released a pioneer, PX, FX or cadet in the new classic alox finish I'd be straight in...I appreciate the classic is a big seller but there's soooo many variations already, why not a something else for a change (last year's 2020 winter magic apart)

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 29, 2021, 08:10:45 PM
What's the likelihood of Victorinox making the Climber Lite are regular model, without the LE scales, after this run? I'm thinking that this might take the place of my Explorer as my EDC, especially during the darker winter months.

This is an interesting thought! I believe it's quite likely that Vic will introduce a regular Climber Lite next year. They are generally not in the habit of making custom LEs. Also, with the departure of the AVTs, the only usable Lite SAKs are the Huntsman Lite and the (Swisschamp-sized) CT Lite. A regular Climber Lite would have a street price between 40 and 50 Euros and would be about as thick as an Explorer or Deluxe Tinker. An instant hit, at least in my book!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%