Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which tool do you find the most useful?

SteveP · 50 · 2431

Poll

Which tool do you find the most useful?

Bottle opener / big screwdriver / wire stripper
7 (10.4%)
Can opener / medium screwdriver
5 (7.5%)
Magnifying glass
0 (0%)
Inline Phillips
4 (6%)
Lite
0 (0%)
Backside Phillips
0 (0%)
Pliers
5 (7.5%)
Scissors
33 (49.3%)
Scaler / rulers
1 (1.5%)
Wood saw
4 (6%)
Metal saw / file
0 (0%)
Corkscrew
1 (1.5%)
Eyeglass screwdriver
0 (0%)
Chisel
1 (1.5%)
Small (backside) screwdriver
0 (0%)
Hook
0 (0%)
Reamer
0 (0%)
Keyring
0 (0%)
Toothpick
3 (4.5%)
Tweezers
0 (0%)
Pin
1 (1.5%)
Pen
0 (0%)
Cybertool bit driver
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Re: Which tool do you find the most useful?
Reply #30 on: October 25, 2021, 06:03:02 AM
Thank you all for your replies. This has been an interesting read. Keep them coming!

I had a feeling scissors were going to be a high vote-getter.

Please don't forget to vote in the poll. I've seen some replies calling out tools, even though they don't have any votes.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

Offline ComboTool

Reply #31 on: October 25, 2021, 09:00:56 AM
For me a large blade, no need for a small, both openers, a saw, scissors, Phillips, and toss in a nail-file and then you got my perfect sak,, oh wait I had that made..
Interesting mod, is there a dedicated thread where you describe it in more detail? I'm especially intrigued by how you fit a nail file in a 93mm.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 27, 2021, 04:18:34 AM
I figured I should put my vote in, seeing as I started the poll.

I'm going with the inline Phillips as the most handy tool. Using it by itself or with my hex bit coupler slid on to it.

And I'll go with the scaler as the "most unexpectedly handy". If you need a sturdy tool for poking or prodding, the scaler is it!
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 27, 2021, 02:00:10 PM

Please don't forget to vote in the poll. I've seen some replies calling out tools, even though they don't have any votes.

[...]

I figured I should put my vote in, seeing as I started the poll.

Oh, the irony...

us Offline Kraken

Reply #34 on: October 27, 2021, 04:13:39 PM

And I'll go with the scaler as the "most unexpectedly handy". If you need a sturdy tool for poking or prodding, the scaler is it!

:iagree:. I stayed away from getting a SwissChamp for the longest time because I was under the misguided impression that the fish scaler was useless. Oh how wrong I was! It is indeed a great all purpose pokey thing.
Semper Fortis

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #35 on: October 27, 2021, 04:48:01 PM
If you need a sturdy tool for poking or prodding, the scaler is it!

Pfrsantos was thinking about something else.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 07:28:51 PM
It is indeed a great all purpose pokey thing.

Is this is what Pfrsantos was thinking about 🤔?

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #37 on: October 27, 2021, 11:50:03 PM
I voted for the wood saw, but it only beat out the others by a hair.
I use the wood saw a lot this time of year. Cutting branches and vegetation for the goose blinds, clearing shooting lanes for deer stands and firewood for campfires. Spring and summer I probably use the scissors more often for fishing line, thread for tying flies etc. So scissors are close second. The universal scaler is right near the top as well. It's always ready for a challenge!

So basically it's a tie between all of them maybe that's why I like the swisschamp so much? :dunno:

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #38 on: October 29, 2021, 03:16:29 AM
 :climber:
I am all about the scissors !!

I defiantly use the scissors the most, then maybe the large flathead ( more for digging or scrapping than for turning a screw) 
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 29, 2021, 05:32:11 AM
I'm surprised there have been no votes for the metal saw/file and reamer. In the challenges I've been in, members were regularly mentioning using both for everything from their designed purposes to filing their nails (file) and opening packages (reamer).
SAKs:

br Offline Golivio

Reply #40 on: October 30, 2021, 08:05:16 PM
I voted for the Bottle opener because its very useful as a pry tool. It was a difficult decision between BO, scissors, woodsaw and reamer. All of those tools can save the day. Sometimes you need a tool without a sharp edge. Thats when the BO seems handy. The pliers are very useful too but even the small leatherman squirt I bring with my car Keys is more robust then the victorinox one. Cheers.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: October 31, 2021, 06:02:42 AM
I voted for the Bottle opener because its very useful as a pry tool. It was a difficult decision between BO, scissors, woodsaw and reamer. All of those tools can save the day. Sometimes you need a tool without a sharp edge. Thats when the BO seems handy. The pliers are very useful too but even the small leatherman squirt I bring with my car Keys is more robust then the victorinox one. Cheers.
I think most folks view the pliers as large, sturdy tweezers vs. pliers. Though they can be pretty useful in the right situations:
- Wire cutter at the base of the jaws.
- Crimping tool beneath jaws (on current model pliers).
- Pull/push hot oven racks.
- Pick up hot pot by rim.
- Stabilizing work base: Put small item in pliers jaws, then close pliers into SAK as far as possible.
- Retrieval tool: Tie SAK to pole. Use looped cord around pliers jaws to close jaws once you've clamped on to object. (Do a YouTube search for nikgyver pliers to find his video showing this trick.)
- You can also use a cord loop and a small rod to turn the pliers into locking pliers. (I think that's in the same Nikgyver video.)
SAKs:

br Offline Golivio

Reply #42 on: October 31, 2021, 09:20:03 AM
I think most folks view the pliers as large, sturdy tweezers vs. pliers. Though they can be pretty useful in the right situations:
- Wire cutter at the base of the jaws.
- Crimping tool beneath jaws (on current model pliers).
- Pull/push hot oven racks.
- Pick up hot pot by rim.
- Stabilizing work base: Put small item in pliers jaws, then close pliers into SAK as far as possible.
- Retrieval tool: Tie SAK to pole. Use looped cord around pliers jaws to close jaws once you've clamped on to object. (Do a YouTube search for nikgyver pliers to find his video showing this trick.)
- You can also use a cord loop and a small rod to turn the pliers into locking pliers. (I think that's in the same Nikgyver video.)

Nice tips, Steve. The best tool is the tool you have with you. It’s much better to have small pliers than no pliers. No doubt about the usefulness of the vics pliers in some situations, such as you described.
  :tu:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #43 on: October 31, 2021, 10:20:20 PM

Nice tips, Steve. The best tool is the tool you have with you. It’s much better to have small pliers than no pliers. No doubt about the usefulness of the vics pliers in some situations, such as you described.
  :tu:

Absolutely  :cheers:

Although, while I'm quite fond of the little Leatherman Squirt, as it packs a ton of utility in a tiny package, I prefer the SAK pliers. They have much more aggressive teeth and better dexterity... you can get a very solid grip on the larger body of the SAK and use your thumb to manipulate the pliers. I find the tiny and slick matte handles of the Squirt can be a bit difficult to use.

Still great to have and smaller package than any SAK with pliers -- very nearly as small as the Manager even, though heavier. The main blade and metal saw/file are great, and if only Victorinox could come up with a similar retractable keyring loop.  :whistle:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: November 01, 2021, 06:19:30 AM
I think this is why so many of us carry a couple of tools. I've seen a lot of posts from folks who carry a SAK plus small Knipex pliers/wrench. Or a pliers-based multi-tool plus a minimal SAK.

I struggled to find the perfect "one tool" carry. Gave up and settled on a Champ (for big stuff), Mini Champ (for little stuff - love the tiny Phillips driver), and Sebertool M2 pliers (better wire cutter than the Champ's). I can't recall ever spontaneously needing full-size pliers, but I've got plenty at home and a pliers-based multi-tool in the car, should I need real pliers.
SAKs:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #45 on: November 01, 2021, 01:51:45 PM
Interesting mod, is there a dedicated thread where you describe it in more detail? I'm especially intrigued by how you fit a nail file in a 93mm.
I didn’t do it, I had it done, but there was a post, if it’s still on this forum idk, it might have been deleted cause it was so long ago, that and just a small post? Normally I have like all the time to do anything but todays kinda packed with things to do.. so if I have any time I’ll look around to see if I can find anything.. if you want to look it would be under as named the “Pharmber” I know nutty but that’s also explained somewhere..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline ComboTool

Reply #46 on: November 02, 2021, 05:43:09 PM
Thanks, Pharmber seems unique enough so I should find it easily  :hatsoff:

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #47 on: November 02, 2021, 07:33:04 PM
Back in 1983 when I bought my first SAK, a Camper I liked the saw and I like the word Camping on the front scale so I bought it.
In hindsight, I think I would have been equally tickled with a Huntsman.  I have evolved into a scissor user. 
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #48 on: November 02, 2021, 08:50:39 PM
I use the main blade the most by far.  Next to that is the can opener or inline Phillips.  I've turned a lot of phillips screws with the can opener and opened a lot of cans, so that's what I chose in the poll.

The scissors are a great tool but I prefer using a blade for many things that others prefer using scissors for.
- Terry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: November 03, 2021, 04:33:57 PM
Back in 1983 when I bought my first SAK, a Camper I liked the saw and I like the word Camping on the front scale so I bought it.
In hindsight, I think I would have been equally tickled with a Huntsman.  I have evolved into a scissor user.

:iagree:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD