Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Discovery Channel's "Survivorman"

Splat · 105 · 15053

Offline RiverRider

Re: Discovery Channel's "Survivorman"
Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 05:32:46 AM
Great show. Far better than that awful Bear Gryils crap  ::)
for one, hes not alone, you can tell since he  has following cameras

He never claimed to be alone. His camera crew isn't allowed to intervene if it's not life threatening. I probably enjoy Man vs. Wild more because the camera isn't stationary!

He also has survival consultants for the areas he goes into, if that bothers people.
well, plus i lov ethe accent, im American.

Means he can do the crazy stuff though! Much more entertaining!

And I have some small quibbles with Suvivorman, in that some of the things he attempts to teach will be either utterly useless or impractical.

EDIT: From what I've seen he tells you when something is setup, and sometimes even interacts with the camera crew. =P

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 08:01:42 AM
Haven't watched survivorman, but watched man vs wild. Its entertaining some of the stuffs he teaches are usefull and some of the stuff are really for last resort, drinking elepant poo juice is one of them  :P
I envy both man for their jobs doing that for a living beats working in a office, another envyable jobs is the host on the lonely planet  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 08:07:27 AM
Haven't watched survivorman, but watched man vs wild. Its entertaining some of the stuffs he teaches are usefull and some of the stuff are really for last resort, drinking elepant poo juice is one of them  :P
I envy both man for their jobs doing that for a living beats working in a office, another envyable jobs is the host on the lonely planet  :D

" drinking elepant poo juice "?

say what?
he does it ?

well thats a bit disgusting but hey,ive heard some real bizarre stories told when someone survived during some vulcano issues etc.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 08:12:16 AM
I'm no survival expert, but Man vs Wild just leaves me scratching my head.

In the few shows I watched, he would expend a tremendous amount of calories to get only a few back. He would also take risks without reason - well, to get ratings i suppose - rather than teaching safety and caution.

Survivorman is more like what I am used to. It's not as good tv perhaps, but it does reflect my own meager experience in the wild much more closely...
[

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 10:14:15 PM
Great show. Far better than that awful Bear Gryils crap  ::)
for one, hes not alone, you can tell since he  has following cameras

He never claimed to be alone. His camera crew isn't allowed to intervene if it's not life threatening. I probably enjoy Man vs. Wild more because the camera isn't stationary!

He also has survival consultants for the areas he goes into, if that bothers people.
well, plus i lov ethe accent, im American.

Means he can do the crazy stuff though! Much more entertaining!

And I have some small quibbles with Suvivorman, in that some of the things he attempts to teach will be either utterly useless or impractical.

EDIT: From what I've seen he tells you when something is setup, and sometimes even interacts with the camera crew. =P

Actually, I hate the accent. But I do love the name. =D
Got those frog legs.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 04:10:17 AM

" drinking elepant poo juice "?

say what?
he does it ?

well thats a bit disgusting but hey,ive heard some real bizarre stories told when someone survived during some vulcano issues etc.

Yup, at one episode I think he was in Africa, he recommended that if as last resort for liquid, freshly pooed and squeezed elephant poo can be drunk and he did it too  :P

I'm no survival expert, but Man vs Wild just leaves me scratching my head.

In the few shows I watched, he would expend a tremendous amount of calories to get only a few back. He would also take risks without reason - well, to get ratings i suppose - rather than teaching safety and caution.

Survivorman is more like what I am used to. It's not as good tv perhaps, but it does reflect my own meager experience in the wild much more closely...

If they showed how to survive in real life the show would be a lot boring  :D catching game, making fire and making shelter thats it, and a lot of sleeping to conserve energy  :)
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 05:41:38 AM
Survivorman is that  :) he makes a shelter, gets a fire going, looks for food and water and sometimes try to catch some of his food.  but it is really interesting since he is all alone and does all of his own filming :D He is also @times rather comical ::) even when he's starving or dehydrated he doesn't let his spirits get down :cheers: :D

Very good show IMHO :)

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 07:54:53 AM
I was watching Les today while he was surviving on the Cook Islands. Looks like he was using a wave or a charge. My money is on him using a wave while making a spear out of his blues harmonica.
:like:    :MTO:

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 12:22:21 PM
Survivorman is that  :) he makes a shelter, gets a fire going, looks for food and water and sometimes try to catch some of his food.  but it is really interesting since he is all alone and does all of his own filming :D He is also @times rather comical ::) even when he's starving or dehydrated he doesn't let his spirits get down :cheers: :D

i agree most definetely,i have seen only few series since i havent found other parts to download >:D but i like it alot.

Offline Biru

Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 08:35:03 PM
I recently saw a rerun of "Survivorman" about surviving in the Amazon and Les was using a Charge. You could see the distinctive handles clearly.

My 12 year-old niece got me into watching this show and Grylls' program occasionally. I can tolerate Les and he occasionally offers some good ideas I file away should I ever need them.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 04:51:33 AM

i agree most definetely,i have seen only few series since i havent found other parts to download >:D but i like it alot.

guess you found some of them then? :D

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 08:20:50 AM
Discovery is just going to show season two of man vs wild this august, does survivorman show on discovery or only nat geo?

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 11, 2008, 11:36:43 AM

guess you found some of them then? :D

yep i "discovered" few ;)

some didnt work but im workin on em.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: August 12, 2008, 03:50:42 AM
Discovery is just going to show season two of man vs wild this august, does survivorman show on discovery or only nat geo?

It is shown on Discovery but not alot right now maybe if there is a new season they'll start showing it more again ;)
It is also on the Science Discovery channel which I don't have :( and I guess on Nat Geo :ahhh don't have that either

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 10:43:12 AM
Saw man vs wild SAHARA episode, I just have to say bear have one strong stomach, he ate a lizard without the head, scorpion without the stinger and a spider like insect without the head, all fresh!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:29:25 AM by duckman1975 »

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 20, 2008, 01:30:26 AM
And raw goat testicles are also a delicacy here, but haven't tried it.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 20, 2008, 01:34:42 AM
i just watched the Survivor-stranded summer.

i think its the first of survivorman-series?

it made want so bad to hike once before winter arrives.without a tent and other modern luxury items with me.

sittn by fire is so primitive source of this mind calming,relaxing moment.atleast to me it works always.

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 02:38:25 PM
I heard the new season starts in November here in the States.

us Offline Splat

Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 10:25:33 PM
I don't want to get into Bear-bashing but what's wild is if you watch Les and Bear right after each other you'll see their differences. Bear takes too many chances and is NOT alone when he's taping. Les is more practical, though some might say less adventurous, and IS alone and tapes himself for his show(s).
Splat

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 10:31:31 PM
I just say Bear puts on a better show because of how it's organized. :D
And there's more information there, but it's far more specific.

I found Survivorman rather boring... like watching people on youtube show off their survival gear...
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Viking

Reply #50 on: September 25, 2008, 01:33:12 AM
I like both, but Bear is way more entertaining to watch.  I love that guy!

Sometimes I just don't want to watch Les starve for a week, so I'll watch Bear do some crazy stuff.  They are both entertainment programs.  There are helpful hints in both programs. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: September 25, 2008, 04:57:23 AM
Bear is alright but if I were stranded with one or the other I think I personally would want to be with Les because he wouldn't have me jumping off cliffs and watt-not :ahhh Both shows are entertaining but since I found out that Bear spends some of his nights in hotels instead of out in the elements it has kind of put me off about his show. 

Survivorman all the way :ahhh :cheers: ;) :D :D :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: September 25, 2008, 04:58:30 AM
Plus Les uses a MT :multi: but Bear has his expensive knife  ::) :o :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #53 on: September 25, 2008, 10:58:30 AM
And bear also goes to hotels at night.
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #54 on: September 26, 2008, 12:35:47 AM
LOL! It is really amazing how well crafted the Bear Gryll's Bayley knife is though! I still haven't really used it yet.. I've cut a few things for fun, but I have yet to use it real hard.
B

us Offline Viking

Reply #55 on: September 26, 2008, 01:59:21 AM
LOL! It is really amazing how well crafted the Bear Gryll's Bayley knife is though! I still haven't really used it yet.. I've cut a few things for fun, but I have yet to use it real hard.

You've also have yet to take a picture of it.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #56 on: September 26, 2008, 02:24:50 AM
What's that supposed to mean?
B

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: September 26, 2008, 02:48:09 AM

You've also have yet to take a picture of it.

yeah some pics of it in your hand,choppin some woods,just pics of it gettin used,not just linked pics from manurfactors site.its pretty much cool to se knives in pics,by their owners.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #58 on: September 26, 2008, 02:55:02 AM
I know, I still haven't bought a camera. But, when I do- that's all I am going to be doing is taking pics!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: September 26, 2008, 04:36:58 AM
I know, I still haven't bought a camera. But, when I do- that's all I am going to be doing is taking pics!

:pok: :pok: :pok: ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD