Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Discovery Channel's "Survivorman"

Splat · 105 · 15056

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Discovery Channel's "Survivorman"
Reply #60 on: September 26, 2008, 02:10:23 PM
I think you guys hit the nail on the head with that one- Bear is more entertainment.  Many people find Les Stroud boring because that's real in a survival situation.  But, reality has never made for good TV, so someone came up with Bear's show to make it more entertaining.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #61 on: September 26, 2008, 02:43:44 PM
Spot on Def!!

Les's show is certainly slow in areas, but has some useful info.  Les' highlight might be that he finally found an edible plant to nibble on and then starve for the rest of the week. 

Bear's show is never slow and full of fun.  Last week he cut the head off a skunk after getting sprayed, got stung by bees so much that his eyes swelled shut and then killed a rattlesnake and ate it.  All in one show!!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #62 on: September 26, 2008, 06:57:14 PM
I saw that episode! Eating skunk would be GROSS!
B

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #63 on: September 26, 2008, 08:21:17 PM
I think you guys hit the nail on the head with that one- Bear is more entertainment.  Many people find Les Stroud boring because that's real in a survival situation.  But, reality has never made for good TV, so someone came up with Bear's show to make it more entertaining.

Def

Spot on, Def! Wait, hasn't that been what I've said? Nevermind, I'm not quite so eloquent as my mind likes to make myself out to be.
Got those frog legs.

us Offline EZ822

Reply #64 on: September 28, 2008, 12:54:40 AM
I think Les Strouds approach to survival is more practical than Bear Grylls. Lets face it how many of us are really going to climb a 150 foot cliff or repel down a waterfall just by tying together some vines or even drink camel crap juice in a survival situation.  :ahhh
Erick

us Offline Splat

Reply #65 on: September 28, 2008, 09:01:03 AM
I think Les Strouds approach to survival is more practical than Bear Grylls. Lets face it how many of us are really going to climb a 150 foot cliff or repel down a waterfall just by tying together some vines or even drink camel crap juice in a survival situation.  :ahhh

Hey, if drinking camel crap juice is going to keep me alive in some remote location then.......  I'd rather die!  ;)
Splat

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #66 on: September 29, 2008, 04:44:04 AM
The new 3rd season seems to be under way and on wikipedia (link below) they have turned up some of the locations

Northern Canada, Sierra Nevada (U.S.), Papua New Guinea, and Madagascar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorman

:ahhh :ahhh I love this show I sure can't wait :ahhh :ahhh :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #67 on: September 30, 2008, 01:30:38 AM
Northern Canada is a pretty big place... I'd like to see him survive in Churchill, Manitoba.  Of course I'll bet that would be a very short episode!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #68 on: September 30, 2008, 02:00:27 AM
I know my oldest boy likes Bear better. He, wether he is right or not feels that at least Bear admits he has a camera crew and help with him. Myself, I enjoy both shows. Science of Survival isn't that bad either.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #69 on: October 01, 2008, 01:27:02 AM
Here is an interview with survival teacher, Cody Lundin.
Note some of his commentaries on "survival reality(or lack there of)" on the boob tube :think:
http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/blog/archives/000007_pbp_episode_5_cody_lundin_survival_expert.php
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #70 on: October 01, 2008, 01:56:25 AM
When watching man vs wild always put in mind that almost all the things done in the show is for last resort, its the least thing you do if there is no other choice.
They should have retitled it SURVIVAL THE LAST RESORT.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:56:05 AM by duckman1975 »
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: October 01, 2008, 01:22:53 PM
When watching man vs wild always put in mind that almost all the things done in the show is for last resort, it that least thing you have to do if there is no other choice.
They should have retitled it SURVIVAL THE LAST RESORT.

Good point
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: October 07, 2008, 05:54:16 PM
After watching a couple of Bear Grylls I wanted to throw things at the TV.  He seemed determined to get himself, and anyone who listens to him, killed.   The one example that always springs to mind is jumping into some fast moving white water using only his backpack as a buoyancy aid.  Oh yeh? That and the life preserver he is so visibly wearing under his sweatshirt.

Les Stroud is much less likely to get you killed.  And he uses SAKs and multi-tools. What more could you want. :climber:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #73 on: October 07, 2008, 10:02:45 PM
After watching a couple of Bear Grylls I wanted to throw things at the TV.  He seemed determined to get himself, and anyone who listens to him, killed.   The one example that always springs to mind is jumping into some fast moving white water using only his backpack as a buoyancy aid.  Oh yeh? That and the life preserver he is so visibly wearing under his sweatshirt.

Les Stroud is much less likely to get you killed.  And he uses SAKs and multi-tools. What more could you want. :climber:
I feel the same way about Mr Grylls ::)

The dude's an absolute disaster waiting to happen, follow his advice only if you have a deathwish.

Les on the other hand, while not a survival guru as such, at least show's the practicalities of a survival situation :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: October 07, 2008, 10:20:23 PM
I feel the same way about Mr Grylls ::)

The dude's an absolute disaster waiting to happen, follow his advice only if you have a deathwish.

Les on the other hand, while not a survival guru as such, at least show's the practicalities of a survival situation :)

Couldn't agree with you guys more. To me, his show is one step away from Jackass.

Unfortunately, someone could get seriously hurt or killed imitating his lack of respect for both the wild and personal safety.
[

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: November 05, 2008, 04:21:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here.  (Just joined. first-time poster, long-time reader/fan of the site.)

You guys are right. Man vs Wild is entertaining but it's almost a cross between Jackass and Fear Factor.  No doubt, the show IS entertaining but Bear sometimes doesn't provide the best advice for survival.  The show is educational and you do learn some neat things but I wouldn't follow his tips unless I had absolutely no choice.  I'm not sure if I would drink the juice from camel poo or use a camel carcass for a sleeping bag unless I really, really, really, really, REALLY had no choice.

Survivorman on the other hand, is more realistic and provides more proper advice on survival.  I've been watching Survivorman since day 1 and I think it's a great show.  I've probably seen each episode about a dozen times but the show is still fun to watch and learn from.  What I love about the show is that Les Stroud is TRULY alone and showing you how to survive.  (Not to bash Bear Grylls but you're not really using your brain/survival skills to the fullest if you have a crew to build the shelters and follow you around.)  Les also shows you how to be creative and survive with the most obscure items in your backpack.

When I watch Man vs Wild, I just want to see Bear eat disgusting stuff.  When I watch Survivorman, I want to actually learn something about survival.

If you guys get OLN, Survivorman is on every day at 10am EST. (It's on right now.)  It's also on Discovery Friday nights, Saturday morning and on CityTV (Ontario) Saturdays.  Man vs Wild is on Discovery Channel Canada friday and saturday nights; reruns the next day in the morning.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #76 on: November 05, 2008, 04:26:08 PM
welcome,good to see new fan of Les here :salute:

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: November 05, 2008, 04:29:06 PM
Welcome aboard pyro....why does that name scare me.....none the less welcome.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: November 05, 2008, 07:53:06 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys.  :)  Don't worry, "pyro" is an old nickname from school.  I'm more of an inactive pyro now and the only thing that I've burned recently is my breakfast. (accidentally, of course.)   :D
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #79 on: November 07, 2008, 02:37:02 AM
Welcome Pyro!

Anyone know is the Discovery Channel had the Survivorman episodes taken off youtube?  I remember there were lots of episodes on there but now they aren't :think:
[

us Offline Splat

Reply #80 on: November 07, 2008, 06:16:26 PM
I believe tonight's a new episode. Looking forward to it. Finally, a reason to save $ and not go out on Friday nights.  :)
Splat

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: November 07, 2008, 11:01:16 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys.  :)  Don't worry, "pyro" is an old nickname from school.  I'm more of an inactive pyro now and the only thing that I've burned recently is my breakfast. (accidentally, of course.)   :D

I've always liked my bacon well done ::)

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #82 on: November 07, 2008, 11:02:01 PM
I believe tonight's a new episode. Looking forward to it. Finally, a reason to save $ and not go out on Friday nights.  :)
I second that!  :tu:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: November 07, 2008, 11:24:17 PM
One thing that drives me nuts with some shows(i.e. Survivor, Man vs Wild, etc), is that some of the BS they show and call it a survival skill. 

Sad really, since survival skills are incredibly facinating!  When I walk in the city or in a forest trail, my brain goes into(automatically) into the mode of:"I can build a shelter with this,,,,, I can make a safe fire there,,,,,,I can trap and eat that,,,,,,,,etc."

I love bouncing into that mind sinc.  Not many other people can say that they think this way :tu:

us Offline Splat

Reply #84 on: November 08, 2008, 01:38:02 AM
One thing that drives me nuts with some shows(i.e. Survivor, Man vs Wild, etc), is that some of the BS they show and call it a survival skill. 

Hold on now... I cannot recall seeing Les ever do something on Survivorman that wasn't in the best interest of what the show is trying to do/teach. Bear, OTOH, has become a farce to a lot of people because of the great risks he takes in the pursuit of "surviving", the stories that have been leaked out about him and his show, not to mention the fact he has a crew with him when he's "surviving".

Sad really, since survival skills are incredibly facinating!  When I walk in the city or in a forest trail, my brain goes into(automatically) into the mode of:"I can build a shelter with this,,,,, I can make a safe fire there,,,,,,I can trap and eat that,,,,,,,,etc." I love bouncing into that mind sinc.  Not many other people can say that they think this way :tu:

I don't think that when I'm in the city/urban environment. I'm trying to be 360º alert and look alert. When I'm in the middle of nowhere or in a remote place then hell yeah, I start thinking about what I have with me and what can be obtained and used for my survival.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:41:21 AM by Splat »
Splat

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: November 08, 2008, 03:51:36 AM
 :oops: Let me clarify, the CBS-TV show "Survivor"(not Survivorman) and Bear Grylls.  I happen to like Les's show too.  Though I must admit, he did push is luck when he alost had the heatstroke in the Kalahari, and the foot fungus in the Amazon.

BTW,  Survival situation do happen more in cities than in Forests, due to infrastructure breakdown(i.e. water/sewer main breaks, and electrical power outages).  That happens, a city STOPS,and is dead in the water.
Crime doesn't even factor in. :think:  And this is especially so in east coast US cities that have infrastructure over 100 years old,  and had their last overhaul during the "New Deal"(1930-1935). :o

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #86 on: November 08, 2008, 03:57:19 AM
I just got done watching the new episode (Sierra Mtns).  It was excellent!!
- Terry

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #87 on: November 08, 2008, 04:13:17 AM
i still havent seen all,but close.the one id really would like to get/see is the Robinso Crusoe.

and i crave for that book of his....if i get any connection to les,as ive been emailin there,ill try to get one copy with his autograph.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: November 08, 2008, 05:41:36 AM
Has anyone ever seen the Snowshoes and Solitude documentary Les and his wife have?

Also Surviving Urban Disasters and Surviving Alaska are very good shows he has out as well :tu:

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: November 08, 2008, 03:13:56 PM
Has anyone ever seen the Snowshoes and Solitude documentary Les and his wife have?

Also Surviving Urban Disasters and Surviving Alaska are very good shows he has out as well :tu:

I haven't seen those yet.  Have you guys seen his special "Off the Grid"?  It's a really interesting look at him and his family building an eco-friendly house.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%