Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Corkscrew or Philips Head

maxdog · 66 · 4657

Poll

Which do you prefer on the back of your SAK, corkscrew or philips screwdriver head?

Corkscrew
67 (64.4%)
Philips screwdriver
37 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 99

ca Offline maxdog

Corkscrew or Philips Head
on: October 25, 2021, 06:18:10 AM
It seems in the SAK world you can divide the SAKs into two camps, the ones with a corkscrew, or the ones with the Philips head screwdriver on the back.  In Victorinox line up, the only difference between a number of the models is between the corkscrew and philips head on the back, for example the Spartan and the Tinker, Huntsman and the Fieldmaster, Camper and the Hiker, Climber and the Super Tinker.   Alright, there are the ALOX with neither, but if you are choosing between a model that does have back tools, which would you go with?  I am curious how the SAK community is divided around the corkscrew vs philips on the back tools.

I've heard arguments for and against on both sides.  The most common that come to mind are:
For the Philips
1. Don't drink wine so a corkscrew is useless to me
2. I have a need for the Philips head much more often than a corkscrew. 
3. The corkscrew on the back does not feel good in the hand.

For the Corkscrew
1. The corkscrew is iconic. A Swiss Army Knife with a Philips head instead of a corkscrew does not look right.
2. The small flathead on the can opener works on most philips heads, so a second philips head on the back is redundant.
3. You can fit a mini screwdriver or a mini Fire Ant ferro rod/tinder in the corkscrew

us Offline Ike582

Re: Corkscrew or Philips Head
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 06:50:13 AM
The corkscrew is essentially useless to me (as I drink craft beer and a bit of whiskey), and I find the phillips very valuable.  However, as one who wears eyeglasses, the mini screwdriver housed in the corkscrew is a potential life saver for me, so I tend to appreciate the utility of the corkscrew models.   
Ike

fr Offline rvlulu

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 07:04:23 AM
The question arises especially for Swiza and the screwdriver makes a more beautiful line.  8)

Otherwise, as soon as there are 4 layers, we can have both and the question does not arise.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 07:10:54 AM
While the corkscrew is useful for carrying the eyeglass screwdriver, I prefer the functionality of the Phillips head.

In 63 years, I have never once used a screwdriver and I doubt seriously if I will ever really have the need.

I feel much the same for the can opener, I woukd prefer a small knife rather than a can opener.
tools is what defines us as humans

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 07:17:24 AM
I'm with the corkscrew clan. With it, I untie shoelaces, impromptu grocery bag carrier, coat hanger (wind it down through plaster/Gipsum board and hang coat/jacket/hat from Climber or Spartan :whistle:) and of course uncork an end-of-day celebration libation! For my purposes and/or use, the back Phillips is to cumbersome to work with, and I'm afraid I'll torque off the liners, scales and/or pin; I prefer inline Phillips drivers.

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 07:43:45 AM
Corkscrew for untying knots- my daughter is trying to learn to tie knots.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 09:07:58 AM
I also divide the SAKs into two camps. With back tools and without back tools. I only use SAKs without back tools.

For me personally, the corkscrew is an absolute no go, I really have zero use for it and it feels uncomfy in the hand. The phillips is as a back tool on the wrong place (the inline works way better). I only need it at home or at work, but there I have a fully equipped workshop nearby.

But I like the old, angular philips, they were better adapted to the scales and some had a useful additional function with the nail file. If they were still common this would be an option for me, so I voted for the philips.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 09:55:50 AM
I bought a Tinker with the thinking that the Phillips backtool is one of the more useful options... but I have since found it of very limited use due to large hands and the way the backtool cannot so easily reach screws in so many situations. As with another poster, I mainly use it for my Lansky sharpener. I would much prefer to have the in-line Phillips drivers.

Conversely, I do use the corkscrew sometimes, including the occasional bottle of wine for someone else, but really it's all about Minnie Driver and how she helps me fix peoples' glasses. Even my daughter can tell you what the thing is for and she's only two!

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 10:59:44 AM
While the corkscrew is useful for carrying the eyeglass screwdriver, I prefer the functionality of the Phillips head.

In 63 years, I have never once used a screwdriver and I doubt seriously if I will ever really have the need.

I'm farsighted, so I can't see eyeglass screws without my glasses.  :-\  However, now that I've discovered the Fireant, I have a reason to like the corkscrew.  For hikes and camping: corkscrew.  Around town or the house: screwdriver.

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 12:15:44 PM
The debate as old as time itself  :pok:

The philips is nice is when I want the most compact package possible, but I’ve come across very few screws that could actually be turned with this awkwardly placed driver. When I do, the can-opener usually will do the job better, with less risk of putting too much torque on the pivot.

The corkscrew to me is more in the spirit of an SAK tool; capable of more than its intended purpose, even adding extra capability by carrying other tools.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 01:41:50 PM
Phillips - carried Tinkers for about 30 years.
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 03:52:35 PM

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 04:03:35 PM
For me it's still for the most part irrelevant, i carry both of them, even if i favor the CS more (Climber), as the CS is more useful for me than THAT phillips sd. The Philips makes the sak more sleek and feels better in the hand and pocket, but the CS makes the sak easier to grip as the CS loops "locks" better on my fingers. For the SD i'll either use the can opener or bits with a bit adapter and the bottle opener.
As far as the micro SD carry, it's irrelevant as a don't carry it on the CS anyway, i carry it on my utility/coin pouch. Decided i don't like how it looks and feels attached to the CS anymore, as well as having to take it out every time i use the CS, leading to potential loss... and makes more sense to carry it separately for when i carry a sak with a backside phillips
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 04:21:55 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 05:30:25 PM
Corkscrew of course. Iconic. Most of my SAKs have the corkscrew, except some 111mm (and obviously the small SAKs).
I use the corkscrew for opening wine bottles. Occasionally.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #16 on: October 25, 2021, 05:56:08 PM
Corkscrew. No brainier for me. For all of the above reasons and more. I’ve tried to like the back tool Philips but just don’t. Hats off to the corkscrew!  :hatsoff:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2021, 05:59:52 PM
While I carry a Pioneer X most of the time, and a Compact before that, I chose phillips.  I have a Super Tinker, but no Climber.  If I have a choice (I think 4 layers or less) I'll pick a phillips SAK.
- Steve

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2021, 09:42:27 PM
Oldest question in the book, the answer is corkscrew, of course. Unless you don't drink red wine, or very cheap one.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 09:47:31 PM
Plus the corkscrew is great for opening jars, something I learned here - works like a charm!

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #20 on: October 25, 2021, 09:49:04 PM
Plus the corkscrew is great for opening jars, something I learned here - works like a charm!

How?  Refer me to the thread please.
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline Kraken

Reply #21 on: October 25, 2021, 09:56:52 PM
For me it's the corkscrew. I've tried the backside Philips when I EDC'd a Super Tinker and a Deluxe Tinker, but as others have mentioned, I found the limitations of the driver not worth it. I switched to EDCing an Explorer a few years ago and have the best of both worlds IMO.
Semper Fortis

us Online Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #22 on: October 25, 2021, 10:06:02 PM
I'm a lot more likely to use the Phillips for its intended purpose. However, the corkscrew can come in handy, and it can also carry additional useful things. These days, I rarely use either, so I don't have a preference.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 25, 2021, 10:58:08 PM
How?  Refer me to the thread please.

Rich, can’t remember which thread it was, but insert tip of the corkscrew under the lid of the tight jar you can’t open, twist gently and if you’ve got it in the right place the seal pops, and hey presto you can open the jar! A neat trick I learned here.  :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: October 25, 2021, 11:00:17 PM
I went with a phillips as it is of much more use to me, however after using it a while I think I would prefer it inline rather than as a back tool.  :think:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 26, 2021, 12:24:56 AM
I love those red Cellidors man
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 12:36:03 AM by Explorer »

us Offline cody6268

Reply #27 on: October 26, 2021, 04:27:33 AM
I prefer how the Phillips sits in a pocket, and how it doesn't damage the scale and liner, but that's where it stops. The Phillips is incredibly highly polished, and about the only thing that slips worse is a Chinese cheap MT or SAK clone.  I went from most of my SAKs being Phillips to most of them being CS. Also, despite light use, most of mine that I've used extensively show some degree of damage to the Phillips.

And sales will dictate this. Vic has been chopping off SAKs with Phillips like crazy, but leaving the CS variants.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #28 on: October 26, 2021, 10:25:00 AM
Phillips for me as the long driver means I can seal up the recessed screws on junction boxes if I've gone light on tools in the roof(sparky by trade) Do like the CS for knot untying and the classic looks of the Spartan
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

ca Offline maxdog

Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 07:33:42 AM
Thanks for everyone's input so far, really enjoyed reading them all and getting your perspectives.
I am surprised with the results as I thought it would be much closer.

It looks like this topic has been discussed here at the forum at nauseum over the years, but for a newbie here, it was still enjoyable to hear everyone's point of view, and trends can change over time, so revisiting this topic might still have some value for other newbies here too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%