Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Corkscrew or Philips Head

maxdog · 66 · 4656

Poll

Which do you prefer on the back of your SAK, corkscrew or philips screwdriver head?

Corkscrew
67 (64.4%)
Philips screwdriver
37 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 99

ca Offline maxdog

Re: Corkscrew or Philips Head
Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 07:40:06 AM
Have you guys seen this post?  42 uses for the corkscrew.  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=40053.0

1. Opens corked bottles (duh!)
2. Untie knots.
3. Pry the battery out of a cell phone.
4. Screw it into a wall and hang your coat on the SAK.
5. Staple remover.
6. Smooth out the hole you just made with the reamer.
7. Clear clogged faucet sprayer.
8. Bicycle tire valve tool.
9. Holds the micro screwdriver.
10. Pick gravel out of tires.
11. Rip open a blister package.
12. Ice pick.
13. Mark a pilot hole.
14. Clean mud out of shoe soles.
15. Knot the end of a cord. Thread it through the corkscrew. Handle.
16. Pop balloons.
17. Aides in sewing.
18. Clean mud out of sprinkler heads.
19. Push used snare wire through it, to straighten out the wire and remove coils or kinks.
20. Pulls the drain plug out of a tub.
21. Open the corkscrew and screw it tightly into a broomstick-thickness stick. Now open the blade. Tie it securely. Survival spear for fishing.
22. Hang the SAK from a piece of cordage from the ceiling. Plumb bob (I have the middle of the handle marked on one mine).
23. Corkscrew + a metal lid = a filter or wire mesh for cooking.
24. Carry a chunk of C4.
25. Pull frozen shoestrings tight, or help loosen them.
26. Helps get the innards out of a squirrel.
27. Gets the candle stub out of a candle holder.
28. Start fights on multitool forums.
29. Remove the fuel filter from a lawn mower.
30. Although the new corkscrews are 4 turns, you can use them for range estimation.
31. O-ring remover for your flashlights.
32. Pry out partially-exposed nails.
33. Tighten the apron strings on a wrestling ring.
34. The inside diameter of the corkscrew is 1/4". I'm sure you know what you can do with this.
35. Open just a small hole in a coconut.
36. Lift stuck items out of boxes.
37. Fish the tape out of a clogged VHS tape.
38. Remove patches from a flintlock gun.
39. Remove the inside of a shotgun shell, making a blank. Remove the wad and powder too.
40. If you don't want the mini screwdriver, the corkscrew can hold a ferro rod.
41. Tap a tree for sap.
42. Undo zip ties without breaking them.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #31 on: October 27, 2021, 09:36:35 AM
Truly, this is the answer
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #32 on: October 27, 2021, 10:21:31 AM
Philips is not the same as Phillips guys!
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline Red Ranger

Reply #33 on: October 29, 2022, 12:29:55 AM
Nobody said the philips could be used as a weapon. I noticed the two openers could be opened, and the philips (or corkscrew for that matter) can be opened, and then the knife can be palmed, closing your hand around it to form a fist with the philips poking out between your fingers, and with those two openers pointing up and down out of the top and bottom of your fist they will make for some wicked jabbing and slashing weapons if you get crowded and don’t have room to swing. The knife handle itself makes a fist pack and the three opened tools add some hurt to the punch. This seems like it would make a heck of a bar fighting tool to get you to the door and out. Or maybe to have tucked in your hand inside a pocket as you cross the parking lot to your car at night, or walk home through a rough area. Corkscrew seems it would be too uncomfortable compared to the philips.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 02:08:27 AM by Red Ranger »

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #34 on: October 29, 2022, 01:11:32 AM
Despite the fact that I carry and use both, I voted corkscrew. I find it to be more versatile and get a lot of use out of it even though I’ve only used it on a bottle of wine once.

I like the Tinker family just fine, but the corkscrew wins out for me and I definitely carry corkscrew models more often. Especially since I also always have a Rambler too. Between that and the can opener, I’ve got most Phillips screws covered.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #35 on: November 01, 2022, 07:48:18 PM
I actually prefer neither as I carry a Recruit or some version of Alox (Cadet, Pioneer X) but if forced to choose I would pick the corkscrew for the 42 plus uses and the fact that the Philips is mostly redundant, given the can opener works really well on Philips screws, and it is awkward to use in the T position.  That being said the corkscrew is not something I really have a great need for and it does create a terrible hotspot on a knife. 

However if they had a Compact with the Philips I would probably carry that over anything else. 

Offline Red Ranger

Reply #36 on: November 02, 2022, 03:57:08 AM

However if they had a Compact with the Philips I would probably carry that over anything else.

I wish they just made a Compact with an awl instead of the hook. The tip of the awl is a perfect box opening tool for splitting tape and saving the blades from being gunked up. But honestly the Compact falls short for me in more areas than that. I’ll take a Climber Plus please, with a Compact hook swap out to gain the nail file.

gb Offline RustandToil

Reply #37 on: January 01, 2023, 06:56:05 PM
Got to be the Phillips for me. I'm a Super Tinker fan. The t bar Phillips does have its uses. I have never found the small 'Phillips' on the opener to be useful as more often than not the screws I need to get to are recessed. The Phillips on the rear does a much better job in this regard.

I use the toothpick and my fingers for knots, never had any trouble and never found a corkscrew to be easier. The corkscrew is useful for storage and, for me, the tiny screwdriver that sits inside is useful - however I have modified a small bit to slot into my Super Tinker and it works great. I'd like to post about it on the forum just not sure where yet.

I carried a knock off knife for a while. Nowhere near Vicrorinox quality but served me well for years (still going actually!) And it had both a screwdriver and corkscrew on the rear so was easy for me to choose based on what I actually used.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: January 01, 2023, 09:05:34 PM
WOW cannot believe I didn't vote  :dunno:.  In years past I preferred the phillips hands down.  The problem with feeling that way was my most carried SAK was Explorer.  I also was carrying a Swisschamp.  I'm not sure why my thinking was not in line with what I carried  :think:.

I appreciated the phillips but my vote now aligns with what I have always carried.  :tu:

Corkscrew.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #39 on: January 02, 2023, 04:47:00 AM
Seems like it always happens that if I’m carrying a corkscrew SAK I run into recessed Phillips screws all day. And if I have a Tinker in my pocket I will find 17 things the corkscrew would be pretty helpful for.

:rofl:  :ahhh  :rofl:

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #40 on: January 02, 2023, 01:56:47 PM
The corkscrew is useful for storage and, for me, the tiny screwdriver that sits inside is useful - however I have modified a small bit to slot into my Super Tinker and it works great. I'd like to post about it on the forum just not sure where yet.

I'd really like to see what you did, if you don't mind.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #41 on: January 02, 2023, 03:48:48 PM
Perhaps this is the answer! ;0)

Both and with slightly less torque issues with the Phillips toward the middle too.

Still prefer the inline though!

Which, for me, means corkscrew on the back given the choice of only one.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: January 02, 2023, 04:00:16 PM
Seems like it always happens that if I’m carrying a corkscrew SAK I run into recessed Phillips screws all day. And if I have a Tinker in my pocket I will find 17 things the corkscrew would be pretty helpful for.

:rofl:  :ahhh  :rofl:

:iagree: :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline RustandToil

Reply #43 on: January 02, 2023, 05:59:07 PM
I'd really like to see what you did, if you don't mind.

I've just posted a video here: but once I get back at my laptop I'll add a thread in the Mods section with some photos. Very basic but I've found it really useful!

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #44 on: January 07, 2023, 03:59:39 PM
I prefer the look and feel of the Phillips, especially when whittling with the small blade. I’ve come around to appreciating the versatility of the corkscrew-mini driver combination, but I don’t prefer it over the Phillips driver, even in SAKs with an inline Phillips.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 09, 2023, 07:41:13 AM
Wow nearly 2:1 in favour of the corkscrew - Woo Hoo - Usually I thought this vote was closer!!

How about the Explorer or the 111mm Outrider - Both still only four layers, but get Phillips and corkscrew
PS. I know this is not the OP Q!!

I need to do a post on my theory that Vic is against the backspring Phillips 

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 09, 2023, 01:24:03 PM
Backside Philips gets my vote.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 09, 2023, 10:02:34 PM
CS my preference.  :salute:

My Telluride build has both...but my preference has moved to a layer Phillips that I can use, and CS/awl back tools.

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #48 on: January 09, 2023, 10:28:41 PM
I like Philips,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

es Offline zdec68

Reply #49 on: January 11, 2023, 09:30:46 PM
Hello. One of my favorite models has always been the Climber, but I admit that although it is not in the best position and the corkscrew has as many uses as you can imagine, in my day to day the Philips is more practical for me... but no That is why I stop using models with a corkscrew. I have time for everyone. Perhaps it is more emblematic is corkscrew. But since I really like the space race, the models used were from the Tinker range
Is it like having to choose who you love more, mom or dad?

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #50 on: January 11, 2023, 09:53:43 PM
Here's what happens to me.

I have kids. My kids are young (ages 6 and 3).

These kids have toys.

The toys often have batteries.

These batteries are always behind battery doors.

The battery doors are always screwed shut.

The screws are almost always recessed and almost always size #1 or #0 (size #1, 95% of the time).

Corkscrews don't do recessed phillips screws...

So.... that back Phillips can really come in handy!

us Offline Enginears

Reply #51 on: January 11, 2023, 10:43:44 PM

These kids have toys.

The screws are almost always recessed and almost always size #1 or #0 (size #1, 95% of the time).

After this Christmas I experienced this with a kids drone, remote control cars etc. In the past I killed a Sak by over doing it with the backside Phillips, but may need to try again. 

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #52 on: January 11, 2023, 10:47:49 PM
I have a manager on the keys for those :0)

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #53 on: January 11, 2023, 10:58:53 PM
After this Christmas I experienced this with a kids drone, remote control cars etc. In the past I killed a Sak by over doing it with the backside Phillips, but may need to try again.

I haven't found any kids toys yet where the screw was tight enough to put any real strain on a back side Phillips...  :dunno:

I have a manager on the keys for those :0)

A Rambler is my usual solution to the problem as well. I tend to carry corkscrew models more often than not. Although, with my newfound love for the Recruit....

us Offline Enginears

Reply #54 on: January 11, 2023, 11:03:25 PM
I haven't found any kids toys yet where the screw was tight enough to put any real strain on a back side Phillips...  :dunno:

Yeah its been maybe 15 years since the incident but I am sure I was doing something outrageous when the Sak was destroyed. Kids toys these days are almost certainly of no threat.

es Offline zdec68

Reply #55 on: January 11, 2023, 11:04:14 PM

These kids have toys.

the combo tool on the 58mm models is great for that job

si Offline Mitch-O

• Mitch-O
Reply #56 on: January 24, 2023, 12:32:03 PM
A few weeks earlier we visited a friend. Than someone spilled his drink over the wireless keyboard of the comp. I grabbed my Super tinker and unscrew the screws. Do you know how many screws are under theese keyboards? I think about 15!?! But at the end, we cleaned it, closed it again and the night was saved :) :)

But to be honest, I never thought about half of the way I coluld use the corkscrew. My ranger tool is not that useless anymore. Thank you for that first post!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: January 24, 2023, 04:11:47 PM
In years past I loved the phillips and corkscrew SAKs were a no go.  Then I got a Manager and things changes, at least this is how I remember it  :think:

The power of the 58mm magnetized phillips is amazing.  I love telling a story how I was fine with destroying one because I was working and didn't want to descend an embankment I was on.  I torqued the heck out of one and it survived. 

If you only carry one SAK then I can understand the dilemma of which backside tool to choose, unless of course like Marlowe your inclined to choose the Recruit  ;)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #58 on: January 24, 2023, 04:25:31 PM
A Recruit + Rambler or Classic SD can cover a lot of ground!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: January 24, 2023, 04:32:23 PM
58's are not just keychain bulk or cute decorations cause they have fun scale options.  They are tools that can be used and enjoyed. 

That day gave me such respect for my Manager.  I was ok-ish destroying it then coming here to tell the story.  It just didn't happen. 

Sorry to derail.  Corkscrew for me all day unless like Marlowe I am carrying my Recruit.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD