Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Case Quality Issues?

ca Offline ctstannard

Case Quality Issues?
on: November 07, 2021, 10:20:24 PM
Hi all,

Before I start, this isn't meant to be overly critical about a brand or start any hostility towards them but I wanted to see what others have experienced lately.

I recently bought a pair of Case Clover Bone Medium Stockman Knives, one for myself and the other was intended to be a gift. Now, here in Canada they aren't particularly cheap or easy to find. They ended up about $75 USD each, before shipping.

When they arrived I was quite surprised by the quality. The blades were incredibly dull had some of the worst burrs I've ever felt on a knife edge. Now I don't mind having to give a knife a touch up sharpening from factory but this would have been a lot more than a touch up, and more than I would expect for the price.

The bigger issue though, and the one I couldn't really live with, was the fit of the blades. On both of them the spey blade was digging into the side of the sheepfoot something fierce. The first one I opened up right out of the box had a deep scratch down the side of the sheepfoot that was pronounced enough to feel it along the surface. It was bad enough that the spey wouldn't even fully close but get caught part way. The second knife wasn't any better.

Luckily the store I ordered them from is willing to refund them for me. Now I had never owned a Case but I've always heard they are a solid brand and I don't mean to bring them any negativity but has anyone else had issues like this lately? Did I just get really unlucky with two lemons?

As always thanks for the thoughts and input!

* Capture.jpg (Filesize: 54.67 KB)
Leatherman:
Charge TTI, Wave, Kick, Skeletool, Style, Brewster, Juice C2, PST II

Victorinox:
Sport, Driver, Tinker, Traveler Lite, Cybertool Lite, Swisschamp, XAVT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Case Quality Issues?
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 11:41:25 PM
Blade rub can be an issue on Stockmans but that seems excessive, I'm glad you were able to get a refund.

ca Offline ctstannard

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 11:47:07 PM
Blade rub can be an issue on Stockmans but that seems excessive, I'm glad you were able to get a refund.

Yeah, I've owned a few stockmans and a bit of rub, especially after some use, is hard to avoid but this Case was like this right fresh out of the box, I took that picture on the very first open.

Hopefully, it was just a slip in Case's QC and not indicative of systemic QC issues. Granted both knives had the same level of issue.
Leatherman:

Victorinox:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 03:46:26 AM
CASE does try to squeeze in their blades into a slimmer frame.  I usually don't mind a bit of blade rub, but not in a new knife.  On a side note, their Seahorse Whittlers are prone to it especially with the secondaries rubbing the Wharncliffe blade.  It's usually caused by pushing in on the blade when opening them.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

ca Offline ctstannard

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 03:54:02 AM
Thanks for the response. Agreed, I try hard to pull straight up on the nail nick so as to avoid pushing the blades together but this one was pretty far gone. I only opened it a couple of times before I returned it but each time I closed it, no matter how careful and gentle I was, I could feel the blades scraping against each other. It was like nails on a chalkboard.

A real shame to see since it was a beautiful looking knife otherwise and had it only been a cosmetic issue I would have tried harder to live with it.
Leatherman:

Victorinox:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 04:28:55 PM
As noted in the other thread, I have seen some Case knives be hit or miss with regard to the fit & finish.  Some vintages seem to be better than others in this regard.  Ideal is either to buy the knife in person and check it yourself before buying, or to buy online from a dealer that is willing and able to check the knife for you before shipping.

With regard to blade rub specifically, I’ve seen them anywhere from no blade rub to so severe it interfered with opening blades.  If you could feel the blade rub in addition to seeing the mark, I would classify that as pretty serious.  If it is a visible mark but you can’t really feel it when opening or closing, then I would classify that as minor.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 01:07:49 AM
Sadly that amount of rubbing sounds very excessive to me too.  Blade getting hung up when closing is definitely not the quality I'd expect from a good manufacturer. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 03:44:56 PM
Case in one of those brands I stopped buying long ago. Very hit or miss quality, poor construction, and poor blade grinding. Case and to a greater degree, GEC, are boutique companies that cater to the faithful cool-aid drinkers and obsessed fan boys that can see no wrong in their cult worship items. At least GEC doesn't do the Elvis or John Deere collectors bull hockey.

But then, I was spoiled by Victorinox at an early age, so I may be very prejudiced. At this point in time, I really don't understand how Case continues to exist.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 03:57:23 PM

+1

Awlso, the sheepfoot tip seems to be broken.

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 07:12:26 PM
Case in one of those brands I stopped buying long ago. Very hit or miss quality, poor construction, and poor blade grinding. Case and to a greater degree, GEC, are boutique companies that cater to the faithful cool-aid drinkers and obsessed fan boys that can see no wrong in their cult worship items. At least GEC doesn't do the Elvis or John Deere collectors bull hockey.

But then, I was spoiled by Victorinox at an early age, so I may be very prejudiced. At this point in time, I really don't understand how Case continues to exist.

Because they are one of the few makers of traditional pocket knives left in the states, and they still make a quality product, despite the occasional lemon. They also sell knives to lots of collectors, users and working class folk across the country, who are likely more than pleased to have one in their pocket for reasons other than being obsessed “fan boys”.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 08:55:02 PM by trichosirius »

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 07:20:46 PM
+1

Awlso, the sheepfoot tip seems to be broken.

Iikely rounded off on the belt grinder  :facepalm:
Whenever I come across quality issues with Case knives this is the most common problem. Some patterns are typically of very good quality and others seem to be used for training new employees

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 07:23:52 PM
Iikely rounded off on the belt grinder  :facepalm:
Whenever I come across quality issues with Case knives this is the most common problem. Some patterns are typically of very good quality and others seem to be used for training new employees

Judging from what I've read here, they must admit half a dozen new employees every week...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 08:36:32 PM

All in your opinion of course and a bit of an over generalization. Also a bit insulting to those of us who collect and don't fall into the category that you label us .   

Case continues because they make a lot of knives and most are pretty good. There are going to be some lemons when you make that many slipjoints. GEC make far less a year and I've seen a few lemons from them as well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%