Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Impulse buy.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Impulse buy.
on: October 28, 2021, 09:22:46 PM
I was walking through tractor supply with my daughter, today, and saw this Camillus set.  I wouldn't have looked twice but I saw that the 2 tools actually stored in the handle.
Well, y'all know ol' Grumpy loves a good gadget, so I bought it.

* Camilous MT knife.jpg (Filesize: 174.97 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Offline Hvac budget

Re: Impulse buy.
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 01:47:14 AM
I like that concept!  I'm not thrilled with the included toolset but I think it has great potential.  Thanks for finding this!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 06:42:23 AM
It's a good size knife and is decently sharp.  It's not gonna be one that I carry every day, but will ride in my old gas mask bag.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 07:30:15 AM
I appreciate what Camillus is trying to do, and I like the concept, but I don't think I'll be running out to Tractor Supply to get one anytime soon.  I'm not saying I wouldn't, it's just that the nearest Tractor Supply is 4 or 5 hours from me.
 :facepalm:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 01:43:55 PM
Sadly the Camillus name was bought and has absolutely no connection to Camillus of old  :(

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 05:10:28 PM
Sadly the Camillus name was bought and has absolutely no connection to Camillus of old  :(

* true story.jpg (Filesize: 261.21 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 06:07:39 PM
Worth a shot. Thinking I may buy one discounted.

Given the seasonal (Christmas or not) knife assortments rarely include made in USA knives; I wish TSC would bring back the Buck Bantam combos like they had in 2019. Last year, Bass Pro and Cabelas did them, but with an interesting orange 285 Bantam instead of the regular black one. Hoping they do a red one for TSC.   My problem with the Bantam family is that Buck has only offered black as the standard solid color (over which the camo patterns are printed). There has been the orange one for Cabela's/Bass Pro, and then the blue 284 for Colt (hideously overpriced) and that's it. No other solid colors.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 03:55:13 AM
My local Tractor Supply seems to be facing the same supply chain issues as everyone else. They have the display set up for Christmas, but it's mostly empty.  What  they do have in are a couple Camillus and Old timer "Gift" sets.  Still, Im waiting to see what they have when the Black Friday sale starts.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 04:00:19 AM
My local Tractor Supply seems to be facing the same supply chain issues as everyone else. They have the display set up for Christmas, but it's mostly empty.  What  they do have in are a couple Camillus and Old timer "Gift" sets.  Still, Im waiting to see what they have when the Black Friday sale starts.

That doesn't surprise me. I went there two weeks ago to pick up sheep feed, and they had the farm toys out, but barely half what they normally have. I didn't see any knives/hunting gear at the time.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 07:55:24 AM
Last year the display was fairly prominent.  This year it's on the back endcap of another display.  Hoping for another Gerber Dime, or similar that will still be available when the ad drops.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 02:32:39 AM
Had to stop by Home Depot, after picking up my car from Firestone, this afternoon.   Seems that they are getting in some of their holiday special items.  Guess what, another impulse buy. 
They had a Gerber Ripstop II/Dime combo for just south of $20.00, and one came home with me.
Couple more Gerber items that just get me back there this week too.

* gerber set.jpg (Filesize: 294.9 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 08:05:43 PM
I like finding these Gerber sets at Christmas time.  Walmart had this set of Gerbers, for $23.00.  So I added another Shard and Mini Paraframe to my small tool box.  The Pledge knife is pretty nice. Opens and locks up firmly.  Light weight and actually pretty sharp. Nice sized too and fits my hands well.

They also had another Air Ranger set with 2 other knives, similar to last year's set that included a Mullet tool.  Didn't get one because I wasn't impressed with the knives.

* 2021 Gerber set Walmart.jpg (Filesize: 157.74 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 04:04:10 AM
I like finding these Gerber sets at Christmas time.  Walmart had this set of Gerbers, for $23.00.  So I added another Shard and Mini Paraframe to my small tool box.  The Pledge knife is pretty nice. Opens and locks up firmly.  Light weight and actually pretty sharp. Nice sized too and fits my hands well.

They also had another Air Ranger set with 2 other knives, similar to last year's set that included a Mullet tool.  Didn't get one because I wasn't impressed with the knives.

Nice! I am buying both; as they're a really good value as-is. I also gave my sole Shard away, and kinda miss it. The Pledge I cannot find any reference to outside of these sets, so it must be a Wally exclusive. I noticed I had a $10 off $50 any Walmart purchase coupon from PayPal, and my grandmother saw the cheap expanding spice racks I had purchased to display some of my diecast collection on, and is wanting some for use as spice racks; so that's the extra bucks to get the order over $35 covered.  The Paraframes will mostly end up being beaters that I keep in my farm coats. Actually, that's the main reason I'm buying both sets, so I can have some workhorses that stay in my work coats; though the Pledge will enter my regular EDC rotation.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 04:22:26 PM
Nice! I am buying both; as they're a really good value as-is. I also gave my sole Shard away, and kinda miss it. The Pledge I cannot find any reference to outside of these sets, so it must be a Wally exclusive. I noticed I had a $10 off $50 any Walmart purchase coupon from PayPal, and my grandmother saw the cheap expanding spice racks I had purchased to display some of my diecast collection on, and is wanting some for use as spice racks; so that's the extra bucks to get the order over $35 covered.  The Paraframes will mostly end up being beaters that I keep in my farm coats. Actually, that's the main reason I'm buying both sets, so I can have some workhorses that stay in my work coats; though the Pledge will enter my regular EDC rotation.

* smiley thumbs up.jpg (Filesize: 15.35 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 07:34:50 PM
I got a Ripstop II a couple of years ago (2016 maybe) at Wally World as a Christmas set that contained a camping saw with the knife.  I did not like the knife because it felt as though it were designed and built for left handed users. It had way too many hot spots and sharp edges in the right hand. I kept the saw and gave the knife to a left handed friend.  He loved it.  I reckon that's fair since everything else in this world is made for right handers.

* P1110657.jpg (Filesize: 160.39 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 07:54:27 PM
I don't know, Alan, I kinda like my Ripstop, and I'm a righty.
To each his own, I guess.  Gotta say though that I think that the Shard is about my favorite keyring tool.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 12:05:55 AM
The Shard is handy.  You gotta give it that. :cheers:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 09:58:37 PM
The Shard is great. I 100% intend to get more of them eventually.

As for Tractor Supply...I have to head there on Saturday. Hopefully I can just get what I need and get out without browsing the knives and multi-tools!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 11:05:13 PM
That's not something I've ever been able to do. :dunno:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #19 on: November 25, 2021, 04:36:47 AM
I suppose it's somewhat easier when one is light of wallet (as I currently am).
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #20 on: December 18, 2021, 02:11:09 AM
I didn't see it pointed out as such on the package, but do you think they made the end of the little slide out tool shaped that way with the intention of it being used as a fork???

:think:
Because, if so, I like the idea but the "tines" are WAY too small.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #21 on: December 18, 2021, 02:44:05 AM
Maybe it would work for folks on a diet. :whistle:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #22 on: December 18, 2021, 03:41:13 AM
The EDC folks over in the UK have "Chip forks". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯