Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your knife laws?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: What are your knife laws?
Reply #30 on: November 03, 2021, 07:32:28 PM
Nice  :like:

You guys do seem to have a lot of knife stores, I might have to retire there one day  :D

Plenty of people seem to be doing just that :salute:

We have just about all kinds of weather and if you don't like today's weather then tomorrow's may be completely different :D

Except for the 9.75% sales tax we really don't have high tax rates otherwise :tu:

Plus you can apparently sheath carry a Machete legally :shrug:

:rofl:

:nanadance:           :nanadance:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 03, 2021, 07:47:54 PM
In Kentucky, we can carry just about any knife or gun, concealed or not, with no license almost anywhere.  By statute you cannot carry in a courtroom, police station, etc.  There is no criminal penalty for ignoring a business's "no knives" or "no guns" signage.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 18, 2021, 01:17:48 PM
Google is your friend on knife laws. But regarding the USA; we can carry guns here,  so knife laws aren't something to really be concerned about (unless you carry a bowie or a switchblade or something ridiculous).

where it gets interesting is other countries. Essentially stick to non-locking and 3" blades (ie, SAKs) and you'll most likely be fine. But again, google is your friend.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 18, 2021, 09:38:57 PM
Most of Australia's state knife laws are pretty restrictive, along with bows, swords, crossbows, bb guns, etc etc - but one of the more interesting (however you want to consider the word "interesting") is an addition made in NSW a year or two ago....

Quote from: NSW prohibited weapons act
    (8 )  A zombie knife or other device that has a multi-edged blade, including a serrated section of blade, and—

(a)  is advertised or otherwise made available for sale using images or words that suggest the knife or device is intended to be used for violence, whether actual or threatened, against a person or fictional creature (such as a zombie), or

(b)  has, on the blade or handle, images, words or markings that suggest the knife or device is intended to be used for violence, whether actual or threatened, against a person or fictional creature (such as a zombie), or has been used to inflict violence.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #34 on: November 24, 2021, 08:52:42 PM
Yesterday I got an e-mail from AKTI with legislative updates. HB 4066, which would have brought much-needed  (if you ask me) statewide preemption to Michigan, was unsurprisingly vetoed by the governor. (I have a few nicknames for her, none of which I'll share herein.)
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #35 on: November 26, 2021, 05:32:04 AM
I'm in USA, and glad I can carry one!
I use it as a tool of course to open boxes and such
Quality Control
Materials
Design

au Offline Valkie

Reply #36 on: November 26, 2021, 10:52:55 AM
Most of Australia's state knife laws are pretty restrictive, along with bows, swords, crossbows, bb guns, etc etc - but one of the more interesting (however you want to consider the word "interesting") is an addition made in NSW a year or two ago....

Even carrying a tool such as a screwdriver or nail file can be interpreted as a weapon by the draconian Australian grubberment.

My old boss was arrested for drink driving ( low range)
Because he had a classic victorious his charge included carrying an offensive weapon.
He got off the drink driving charge because the second reading was below .05.
But the knife charge held up and he was fined.

A victorious classic, his car keys are bigger than that knife.
tools is what defines us as humans

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #37 on: November 26, 2021, 12:52:51 PM
Isn't there a State that allows openly carrying katanas? More like "sword laws" there I guess.

In my area (New South Wales) you must have a reasonable excuse to carry a knife.

A ‘reasonable excuse’ includes, but is not limited to, the knife being ‘reasonably necessary’ for:
-The lawful pursuit of an occupation, education or training,
-The preparation or consumption of food or drink,
-Participation in lawful entertainment, recreation or sport,
-Exhibition for retail, trade or collector purposes,
-Wearing an official uniform,
-Genuine religious purposes, or
-Travel to or from any of the above.

I could not find any information on specifics, like blade length, oho folders, opening mechanism, double-edged, etc.
Multi-tools and SAKs are ok, unless the cops think you are shady. Normal folders and fixed blades are ok if you are fishing/camping/hunting etc.
There's a bunch of stuff we cannot import, like throwing knives/axes/stars, automatic folders, double-edged blades, "zombie" knives also I think.

I've seen people doing kata and training with swords in parks, but I have to justify my Victorinox Manager. That makes sense. :salute:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #38 on: November 26, 2021, 05:55:13 PM
A friend and I did some kendo kata in the park, with boken (wooden katanas). It drew some attention and eventually the police came. We were kindly requested to stop and move our activities inside. But a real katana will land me in jail.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #39 on: November 26, 2021, 09:59:52 PM
The knife charge held up and he was fined.

A Victorinox classic, his car keys are bigger than that knife.
That's ridiculous. The only knife I can think of that's less threatening than a Classic is a micro Opinel!

Isn't there a State that allows openly carrying katanas?
I'm not sure how that would work here in the States. Federal law is one thing, but state and local governments sometimes adopt more restrictive laws. One thing is for sure: anyone carrying a sword in public will often be looked at askance.

Your knife laws are similar to a local ordinance I must abide by in that they're ambiguous. I know I'm subject to a three-inch blade length limit...but nowhere have I found how that's measured. Tip to tang or just the cutting edge? So, acting out of a huge overabundance of caution, I stick to three inches or less, tip to tang.

And having to justify a 58mm Victorinox is outright ridiculous. I've also heard that Canadian law does not interpret self-defense as a legitimate purpose for carrying a knife; perhaps one of our Canadian members can verify that?
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #40 on: November 27, 2021, 03:47:33 AM
I cannot speak for Canada, but here self defense is not a reasonable excuse to carry a knife. Carrying anything for the purposes of self defense is illegal.

Even when you catch someone breaking in your house, force must be proportionate. You can only use whatever the burglar is using, or anything below that class of weapon. If the burglar has a knife, you can use a knife. If he has a tire iron, you can use a tire iron. The burglar cannot be at a disadvantage. It has to be a fair match, because when you are done defending your loved ones from being harmed and valuables from being stolen, judges will step in to score the fight, and you will be penalized for having a better self defense weapon. So while you may have won the fight, you will lose points and not advance to the finals. :cheers:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #41 on: November 27, 2021, 08:53:02 AM
I cannot speak for Canada, but here self defense is not a reasonable excuse to carry a knife. Carrying anything for the purposes of self defense is illegal.
With the exception of certain prohibited things (automatic knives, gravity knives, and push daggers come to mind), carrying and using knives as tools is legal. If your explicitly stated reason for carry is self defense, then you're looking for trouble.

sd Offline Andetto

• Am old school, I still believe in respect.
Reply #42 on: December 11, 2021, 05:04:10 AM
Hello

No rules or regulations here.
People carrying traditional daggers on their shoulders and walking around town, is a normal thing.
Only if you are involved in a problem, were police discovers you tried to use a knife, then it might be a problem.
One of the few things I like about living here  :D

Regards
Regards
Andetto

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: December 11, 2021, 05:16:07 AM
Isn't there a State that allows openly carrying katanas? More like "sword laws" there I guess.

In my area (New South Wales) you must have a reasonable excuse to carry a knife.

A ‘reasonable excuse’ includes, but is not limited to, the knife being ‘reasonably necessary’ for:
-The lawful pursuit of an occupation, education or training,
-The preparation or consumption of food or drink,
-Participation in lawful entertainment, recreation or sport,
-Exhibition for retail, trade or collector purposes,
-Wearing an official uniform,
-Genuine religious purposes, or
-Travel to or from any of the above.

I could not find any information on specifics, like blade length, oho folders, opening mechanism, double-edged, etc.
Multi-tools and SAKs are ok, unless the cops think you are shady. Normal folders and fixed blades are ok if you are fishing/camping/hunting etc.
There's a bunch of stuff we cannot import, like throwing knives/axes/stars, automatic folders, double-edged blades, "zombie" knives also I think.

I've seen people doing kata and training with swords in parks, but I have to justify my Victorinox Manager. That makes sense. :salute:

In South Australia you can used swords (and bows for that matter) in a public park, as long as you tell/ask the council first, and put up bunting to stop random people walking into the danger zone

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 12, 2021, 11:25:27 PM
Interesting to see how different states and countries laws vary .  :popcorn:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: December 13, 2021, 04:25:12 AM
It sure is.  Its also interesting to see how those living there within the laws adapt. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Valkie

Reply #46 on: December 15, 2021, 08:01:26 AM
We recently had a court case where a man and woman were attacked, in their own home.
The intruder knocked the man down, grabbed the woman by her bag and dragged her out into the street in an attempt to get the bag off her, it was across her body, so she couldn't get it off while she was being pulled along.
The man staggered to his feet and with blood pouring from a head wound, and grabbed a samurai sword and perused the criminal.
Out in the street, the criminal pulled a gun (unbeknownst to the man it was a replica)
The man, thinking his wife was in danger, used the sword and killed the criminal.

The man was arrested, charged and now faces a lengthy term behind bars.
As far as I'm aware, he is still awaiting sentencing.

Australia,  where self defence is a myth
And defending yourself or your loved ones will put you behind bars.

tools is what defines us as humans

ca Offline buggs

Reply #47 on: December 17, 2021, 05:24:09 AM
With the exception of certain prohibited things (automatic knives, gravity knives, and push daggers come to mind), carrying and using knives as tools is legal. If your explicitly stated reason for carry is self defense, then you're looking for trouble.

i think we have to be careful with certain knives even if they are technically legal in Canada.  I'm thinking of Benchmade knives of which I own several, most of which I bought from the eBay and had shipped from the U.S.  They can be sold here by Cabela's and other retailers, but they tighten down the opening substantially as opposed to the American versions that are essentially assisted openers.  I could call my Benchmade Osborne a tool and they'd still look at me sideways and confiscate it.

Which brings up the other point: you're never carrying a knife, you're carrying a tool.  As you indicate, you're not carrying for self defense as an explanation and in reality most of us are not sufficiently trained in self defense to even be able to use it properly.  It may be nice to fantasize about carrying a weapon for self defense (for some) but odds are it'll just get turned back against most. 

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #48 on: December 17, 2021, 12:14:31 PM
Everyone in my area is required to carry a pocket knife at all times. Punishment for not having a knife is getting a hard time from the guy who lets you use his.  :whistle:

That is as it should be.  :tu:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #49 on: December 17, 2021, 12:21:10 PM
Florida is, well, Florida.  https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/florida/

"Common pocket knives" are legal to carry.  With a Concealed Weapons Permit you can carry knives as weapons, except in cities or counties that prohibit that.  :facepalm:

There are off limits areas for any knife, such as courts, police stations, schools, etc.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: December 24, 2021, 01:45:27 AM
You can carry anything in Ohio, including automatics. Even brass knuckles.

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #51 on: December 28, 2021, 09:00:35 PM
From what I understand in France, a SAK or any traditional knife, like an Opinel or a Laguiole is tolerated, besides that knives are forbidden.
I guess if you aren't acting like a shady guy, for a SAK, it's alright ! But I wouldn't try a folder  :ahhh

us Offline fuyume

Reply #52 on: December 29, 2021, 04:28:54 PM
Vermont is a constitutional carry state, so the only restriction we have here is that an automatic knife cannot have a blade longer than 3 inches. Other than that, anything goes.
冬芽 fuyume (女 she/her/anoko)

us Offline fuyume

Reply #53 on: December 29, 2021, 04:37:26 PM
https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/pennsylvania/

Pennsylvania prohibits automatic knives, but otherwise is pretty open outside of Philadelphia, which essentially bans the carry of knives.

This is the first time I’m hearing of this. The Philadelphia ordinance was apparently enacted in 1968, but I have never once been hassled about carrying a knife in Philly, and I lived in Center City from 1991-1997, in addition to operating a consultancy with many clients in Philadelphia until about 2010. I’ve never ever heard of this law, before today.
冬芽 fuyume (女 she/her/anoko)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: December 30, 2021, 09:50:13 AM
This is the first time I’m hearing of this. The Philadelphia ordinance was apparently enacted in 1968, but I have never once been hassled about carrying a knife in Philly, and I lived in Center City from 1991-1997, in addition to operating a consultancy with many clients in Philadelphia until about 2010. I’ve never ever heard of this law, before today.
Interesting.  Perhaps it isn’t strictly enforced, or not treated as a primary offense?

au Offline Valkie

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #56 on: June 29, 2023, 01:15:38 PM
Living in South Carolina is wonderful; we can own and carry just about anything - autos, balisongs, even swords! Our law is written so that carrying them is not a crime, unless you use them in a crime, then it's a crime (make sense?). Some cities have passed ordinances banning certain knives - Charleston, Columbia and Greenville, however while they may be in place, there's no prosecution as they are inconsistent with state law. The regular prohibitions apply; no carry in a government building or polling place, however you can carry at school as long as the blade is 2" or less. Some schools have attempted a Zero Tolerance policy only to get slapped down by the Attorney General. Man, I love living in a Red State :woohoo:

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/south-carolina/
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #57 on: June 29, 2023, 04:37:43 PM
Missouri is pretty simple on knife laws:

• There are no restrictions on pocket knives with a blade of 4 or less inches in length.  Missouri law defines this as an ordinary pocket knife and not a as a "knife" in its language.
  • There are no forbidden or restricted "knives" under Missouri state law.
  • There are no restrictions on the size of a "knife" you can open carry.
  • Concealed carry of a "knife" is lawful except in specified locations or for ordinary pocket knives.  Those specific locations mostly fall under government buildings and churches, the same as the locations defined as unlawful for concealed carry of firearms.

So basically, anything goes except for concealing knives with a blade longer than four inches in some limited locations.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 04:43:29 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #58 on: June 29, 2023, 04:57:02 PM
Article 10 of the Croatian weapons law: "Hladno oružje su bokseri, bodeži, kame, mačevi, koplja, sablje, bajunete, te noževi čije se sječivo nalazi pod pritiskom sabijene opruge, a iz drške iskaču pritiskom na gumb, bez obzira na dužinu oštrice ili skrivene oštrice, druga potajna oružja sa skrivenim oštricama (oružni štapovi, oružni kišobrani i sl.), te metalne zvjezdice za bacanje. Hladnim oružjem smatraju se i razne vrste palica te drugi predmeti pogodni za nanošenje ozljeda"

Melee weapons are boxers, daggers, daggers, swords, spears, sabers, bayonets, and knives whose blade is under the pressure of a compressed spring and pops out of the handle at the push of a button, regardless of the length of the blade or the hidden blade, other secret weapons with hidden blades (weapon sticks, umbrellas, etc.), and metal stars for throwing. Different types of clubs and other objects suitable for inflicting injuries are also considered melee weapons.

So basically no blade length or locking limitations, as long as it's not a switch blade or dagger. And carrying something that could be considered a weapon into public places is a no no.

I've been searched while carrying about a dozen Leathermans/SOGs/Gerbers at a bar (brought them for a friend who was interested in buying one) and all I got from the PO who searched me was a laugh when he asked me, Is that it? And I replied... No, I got a few more :ahhh

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #59 on: June 30, 2023, 01:08:30 AM
Article 10 of the Croatian weapons law: "Hladno oružje su bokseri, bodeži, kame, mačevi, koplja, sablje, bajunete, te noževi čije se sječivo nalazi pod pritiskom sabijene opruge, a iz drške iskaču pritiskom na gumb, bez obzira na dužinu oštrice ili skrivene oštrice, druga potajna oružja sa skrivenim oštricama (oružni štapovi, oružni kišobrani i sl.), te metalne zvjezdice za bacanje. Hladnim oružjem smatraju se i razne vrste palica te drugi predmeti pogodni za nanošenje ozljeda"

Melee weapons are boxers, daggers, daggers, swords, spears, sabers, bayonets, and knives whose blade is under the pressure of a compressed spring and pops out of the handle at the push of a button, regardless of the length of the blade or the hidden blade, other secret weapons with hidden blades (weapon sticks, umbrellas, etc.), and metal stars for throwing. Different types of clubs and other objects suitable for inflicting injuries are also considered melee weapons.

So basically no blade length or locking limitations, as long as it's not a switch blade or dagger. And carrying something that could be considered a weapon into public places is a no no.

I've been searched while carrying about a dozen Leathermans/SOGs/Gerbers at a bar (brought them for a friend who was interested in buying one) and all I got from the PO who searched me was a laugh when he asked me, Is that it? And I replied... No, I got a few more :ahhh

Ah. The old "one is none ploy"  :whistle: :rofl:
They don't like it up 'em!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69