Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your knife laws?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What are your knife laws?
Reply #60 on: June 30, 2023, 01:42:09 AM
VA, according to the AKTI.

Not really restrictive here. I think the "under three inches" mostly applies to schools, courthouses, and airports.  It did also apply to colleges (community college was 2.5", the Christian College I attended was 4"), and I chose my EDC around that when attending both.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/virginia/

They were never really enforced here anyway, but I always abode by them.

Concealed carry of autos will be allowed starting in just a couple of days (July 1), and I'm still deciding what I'll EDC. All my current autos are cheap junk. Bene trying to get my local cutler store to order some of the Boker Kalashnikovs. I may end up getting a Pro-Tech, as they seem pretty reasonably priced for USA-made. Either the Emerson or Runt--possibly both as I can afford them.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #61 on: June 30, 2023, 01:51:10 AM
I've discovered a disturbing nuance of Michigan knife law. I could have a knife hanging from my neck, not hidden under my shirt (completely open-carried), and be legal...unless I get in the car. Seems having a fixed blade within reach if one is in a vehicle can constitute concealment. I need to do one of two things: make a smurfload of noise until the laws are changed or move to a state with laws more to my liking.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: June 30, 2023, 06:11:56 AM
I've discovered a disturbing nuance of Michigan knife law. I could have a knife hanging from my neck, not hidden under my shirt (completely open-carried), and be legal...unless I get in the car. Seems having a fixed blade within reach if one is in a vehicle can constitute concealment. I need to do one of two things: make a smurfload of noise until the laws are changed or move to a state with laws more to my liking.
I thought that only applied to daggers, dirks, stilettos, and double-edged knives.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #63 on: June 30, 2023, 09:05:27 AM
I thought that only applied to daggers, dirks, stilettos, and double-edged knives.
Best as I can tell, it's all fixed blades. Anything double-edged is far more trouble than it's worth. Maybe I should ask a lawyer. :think:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #64 on: July 01, 2023, 08:29:43 PM
Best as I can tell, it's all fixed blades.
I took another look at the law. Anything that is fixed and double-edged is a per se "dangerous weapon," so merely concealing it or transporting it in a vehicle can land you in hot water. In the latter case, it's a felony. A single-edged fixed blade falls under an "any other dangerous weapon" clause, which would mean a prosecutor has to prove ill intent. That's if I'm understanding the law correctly.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/michigan/

Some research into whether carry of a fixie (concealed or otherwise) runs afoul of a more restrictive local law I must abide by still has to be done.
USN 2000-2006

au Offline Valkie

Reply #65 on: July 03, 2023, 06:50:01 AM
I took another look at the law. Anything that is fixed and double-edged is a per se "dangerous weapon," so merely concealing it or transporting it in a vehicle can land you in hot water. In the latter case, it's a felony. A single-edged fixed blade falls under an "any other dangerous weapon" clause, which would mean a prosecutor has to prove ill intent. That's if I'm understanding the law correctly.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/michigan/

Some research into whether carry of a fixie (concealed or otherwise) runs afoul of a more restrictive local law I must abide by still has to be done.

So much for the innocent until proven guilty that we used to believe in many years ago.

And one that is gradually being eroded away.

A knife is a tool, unless it is used otherwise.
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #66 on: July 03, 2023, 12:18:44 PM
Georgia (U.S.) knife law
Any knife having a blade measuring 12 inches or less may be freely carried.
I love our knife laws here, you can carry just about anything any get away with it. When your local mom and pop hunting store sells out the front autos... Yeah it's kind of nice.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: August 02, 2023, 02:51:32 PM

us Offline ThisAlarm7

Reply #68 on: August 02, 2023, 03:42:53 PM
For both guns and knives I LOVE Idaho.

No restrictions on carry or possession of anything really, other than some other restrictions for the carry of knives with 6" blades and longer, and knives must have a blade length no greater than 2.5" for carry on school grounds.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: August 02, 2023, 06:14:07 PM
Major victory for those who live in or travel to Philadelphia:

https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/worst-anti-knife-city-in-america-caves-to-knife-rights/

Great news! I will say I've carried in Philly, and been searched, with a small knife several times without issue. Still, better to get a bad law off the books that rely on discretion.

As stated in the article, the auto ban in PA was also removed this year.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #70 on: August 03, 2023, 03:58:36 AM
The article Nate linked to makes mention of the "ten worst anti-knife cities in America." A little Googling got me to that article:

https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/knife-rights-first-annual-ratings-of-worst-anti-knife-cities-and-best-states-for-knife-owners/

AKTI's Ohio state laws page indicates that Ohio now has statewide preemption. Perhaps a member from Ohio can confirm that? Knife Rights should update that article...
USN 2000-2006

au Offline Valkie

Reply #71 on: August 03, 2023, 04:31:49 AM
I have trouble getting my head around knife laws in general.
If someone was intent on doing harm, laws wont worry them in the least.
And there are ways to getting around carrying some form of weapon no matter what laws are enacted.

For instance.
When we go pig hunting, a knife isn't used to finish off the pig, a sharpened screwdriver is.
Gets through the thick skin more easiy and less chance of getting cut or jamming the blade.
And when getting on an aircraft you are given metal cutlery to eat your food.
Instead of making innocent, law aboding people into criminals by making a harmless pocket knife illegal.
They should be looking at punishing criminals for using them more harshly.

Its a shame when a useful tool is deemed a weapon because "someone" feels its easier to criminalize everyone rather than just the criminals.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: August 03, 2023, 11:32:32 AM
I have trouble getting my head around knife laws in general.
If someone was intent on doing harm, laws wont worry them in the least.
And there are ways to getting around carrying some form of weapon no matter what laws are enacted.

For instance.
When we go pig hunting, a knife isn't used to finish off the pig, a sharpened screwdriver is.
Gets through the thick skin more easiy and less chance of getting cut or jamming the blade.
And when getting on an aircraft you are given metal cutlery to eat your food.
Instead of making innocent, law aboding people into criminals by making a harmless pocket knife illegal.
They should be looking at punishing criminals for using them more harshly.

Its a shame when a useful tool is deemed a weapon because "someone" feels its easier to criminalize everyone rather than just the criminals.
I think knife carrying people are a minority (and not one that is protected). So, knife laws give the appearance of progress, of something being done and appease a majority. E.g. just before our knife laws got updated there was an incident with a butterfly knife. Because of that, butterfly knives are prohibited, but I can have a flipper knife with a dagger blade.

Here we actually don't really have a knife law. We separate in a weapon law and a dangerous item law.
Weapons: Butterfly knives, automatic knives with a blade-length over 5cm, daggers (double sided fixed blade) with a blade length between 5 and 30cm (under 5cm is less dangerous/lethal and over 30cm it becomes hard to conceal, that is the reasoning here).
Dangerous item: all the other knives, sharpened screwdriver, hatchets, scissors, hammer, fireworks, golf-clubs, baseball bats, bike-chains, swords etc.

Weapons: (e.g. my decorative Swiss Dagger): Needs permit to buy/sell. Can only be carried with a really good reasons (e.g. a medieval parade/festival as part of the uniform/costume). From and to the event, the dagger needs to be stored in a bag (cannot be carried on the body) and cannot make a detour or leave them in your car (never heard this to be enforced, but you probably would get a negligence charge if something happens). Weapons are far more enforced than dangerous items and bringing a weapon can be a criminal offense in itself. E.g. bringing a dagger to a shopping mall (you have no reason to bring that dagger) or carrying a dagger on your belt on the street (even if you have a reason to bring that dagger).

Dangerous Items: Also need a reason to be carried (except for knives, there is always a reason :D). E.g. you cannot bring a hatchet to do some cloth shopping. But you can bring a hatched to the forest (of course depending on whether you are allowed to chop wood in that particular forest) to chop wood. And while it is advised against, you can make a detour to the butcher to get some meat for the fire you intend to make. How you carry a dangerous item is less regulated but it is suggested that you carry the hatched in a bag until you reach the forest.
As a rule of thumb, you cannot bring a dangerous item to anywhere, where there is a crowd. Exceptions are for example, you can bring a sword or a club to a medieval festival, but not a modern baseball bat. You also absolutely can get on public transport with a sword, despite it being crowded, but you cannot bring that sword to a music festival.
That ruling might seem inconsistent and random but there are two huge perks to this:
- people can be disarmed when going to a festival / mall / stadium. Especially events known for heavy alcohol consumption this reduces the risk that drunken brawls turn into murder. Usually, you won't get charged for bringing a dangerous item and might even be able to get it returned to you.
- if you commit a crime carrying a dangerous item you are considered armed. Which automatically increases your sentence. Hopefully discouraging criminals to carry weapons.

As such our "knife law" works, but mostly helps reduce spontaneous crimes, e.g. under alcohol influence. But on the other hand there are few true limitations.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #73 on: August 03, 2023, 07:02:39 PM
Summary for here:
No daggers - both sides sharp, unless it is of historical significance or artsy, or you will use it for specific purpose like fishing, hunting etc
You can own/use anything else
Any fixed blade can be carried, provided you can prove that you need it for some law abiding reason.

Carry in public: Non locking folding knives up to 4" allowed, as long as they are not pointy (whatever that means)
2.5" if they are pointy.
Locking knives are considered fixed blades.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline Valkie

Reply #74 on: August 16, 2023, 05:54:20 AM
I think knife carrying people are a minority (and not one that is protected). So, knife laws give the appearance of progress, of something being done and appease a majority. E.g. just before our knife laws got updated there was an incident with a butterfly knife. Because of that, butterfly knives are prohibited, but I can have a flipper knife with a dagger blade.

Here we actually don't really have a knife law. We separate in a weapon law and a dangerous item law.
Weapons: Butterfly knives, automatic knives with a blade-length over 5cm, daggers (double sided fixed blade) with a blade length between 5 and 30cm (under 5cm is less dangerous/lethal and over 30cm it becomes hard to conceal, that is the reasoning here).
Dangerous item: all the other knives, sharpened screwdriver, hatchets, scissors, hammer, fireworks, golf-clubs, baseball bats, bike-chains, swords etc.

Weapons: (e.g. my decorative Swiss Dagger): Needs permit to buy/sell. Can only be carried with a really good reasons (e.g. a medieval parade/festival as part of the uniform/costume). From and to the event, the dagger needs to be stored in a bag (cannot be carried on the body) and cannot make a detour or leave them in your car (never heard this to be enforced, but you probably would get a negligence charge if something happens). Weapons are far more enforced than dangerous items and bringing a weapon can be a criminal offense in itself. E.g. bringing a dagger to a shopping mall (you have no reason to bring that dagger) or carrying a dagger on your belt on the street (even if you have a reason to bring that dagger).

Dangerous Items: Also need a reason to be carried (except for knives, there is always a reason :D). E.g. you cannot bring a hatchet to do some cloth shopping. But you can bring a hatched to the forest (of course depending on whether you are allowed to chop wood in that particular forest) to chop wood. And while it is advised against, you can make a detour to the butcher to get some meat for the fire you intend to make. How you carry a dangerous item is less regulated but it is suggested that you carry the hatched in a bag until you reach the forest.
As a rule of thumb, you cannot bring a dangerous item to anywhere, where there is a crowd. Exceptions are for example, you can bring a sword or a club to a medieval festival, but not a modern baseball bat. You also absolutely can get on public transport with a sword, despite it being crowded, but you cannot bring that sword to a music festival.
That ruling might seem inconsistent and random but there are two huge perks to this:
- people can be disarmed when going to a festival / mall / stadium. Especially events known for heavy alcohol consumption this reduces the risk that drunken brawls turn into murder. Usually, you won't get charged for bringing a dangerous item and might even be able to get it returned to you.
- if you commit a crime carrying a dangerous item you are considered armed. Which automatically increases your sentence. Hopefully discouraging criminals to carry weapons.

As such our "knife law" works, but mostly helps reduce spontaneous crimes, e.g. under alcohol influence. But on the other hand there are few true limitations.

I have a friend who is a cop.

We had a nice chat the other day about knives and knife laws.

He basically said that unless you become "Known" to the police for some reason, you will not be searched.
IE, causing trouble, fighting, resisting arrest etc.
BUT
If you are in a public place, (shopping centers, trains, busses, Maccas etc) and are subjected to search for any reason, you will be arrested if you have any form of knife (even a classic)
And Police now have powers to search "on suspicion" anyone, even if you are doing nothing wrong, just a search.
The knife laws give them this power.

So, young guys just because they fit into a young guy demographic could be searched at any time.

So, even if you are doing nothing, you are actually breaking the law carrying a knife, which automatically makes you a criminal and can be fined or even arrested for carrying a small bladed instrument.

I then asked him what would prompt him to search someone.
he gave me several reasons.
Directed to as part of an operation, (search x number of people in a given period)
Someone acting suspiciously.
Someone giving him "mouth"
Specific demographics (Muslims, Gang members, motorcycle riders, some races and if they just don't like the look of you)
Any one arrested for any other crime.

I asked him if he carried a knife.
Yes of course, several.
a leatherman wave, a sharp one hand opening lock knife and a classic on his keys.
He stated that these were necessary tools for his job.

Now, this guy is a reasonable guy, quite nice and not an overbearing narcissist like some of his brethren.
Imagine what a less tolerant type could be like.

the final question.
How many people have you arrested for knife carrying.
He stated nearly every person he arrests is carrying a knife of some sort.
Some are obviously just tools (but still knives)
But others are simply dangerous weapons intended to do harm.
but for actually just carrying a knife in a public place.
Just a couple of kids, thats about it.

Think about it.
In Australia we have knife laws.
They may be enacted at any time for any reason.
The laws are draconian to the extreme
and even make otherwise law-abiding people into criminals simply for carrying a fruit knife or tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD