Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need some suggestions for a Stockman Knife 1041

No Life Club Posts: 1,026 Average Old Guy.
Re: Need some suggestions for a Stockman Knife
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2021, 09:27:24 PM »
I'd like to find me a nice Buck 307 stockman.  I can't help myself, my stockmans need to be over the 4 inch mark.

Addicted to sharp pointy things.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,337
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2021, 01:26:31 AM »
I think some newer Case 47s have three backsprings. I know my 2014 LT347 (from the short-lived lightweight Zytel handle "Caliber" line) is three spring.
No Life Club Posts: 2,306
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2021, 07:42:33 AM »
I think some newer Case 47s have three backsprings. I know my 2014 LT347 (from the short-lived lightweight Zytel handle "Caliber" line) is three spring.
I believe you are correct.  The older 47, on the left, has two back springs, while the newer 47 (right), has three.
IMG_8919.jpg
* IMG_8919.jpg (Filesize: 235.08 KB)
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,405 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »
I was affectionately poking you.

I felt nothing

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 58,893
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2021, 05:15:34 PM »
I felt nothing

That's what she said   :facepalm:
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,405 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2021, 06:05:46 PM »
That's what she said   :facepalm:

Not to me... 

we are hopeless...

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,440
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2021, 09:01:20 PM »
I don't care, I felt it, that's all that matters.

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 27,445
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2021, 09:16:12 PM »

Esse Quam Videri
Newbie Posts: 43
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2021, 10:32:08 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks again for the suggestions. Just wanted to provide an update. I ordered some Case knives and unfortunately was incredibly disappointed with the quality for the price. I returned them, which I don't typically do unless it is pretty bad. I started another post over here just to see if others have experienced these issues or if I just got unlucky.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,88392.0.html

I think next I will try a Buck stockman. I wasn't crazy about the last couple of Bucks I had but they are a heck of a lot cheaper than Case.

Thanks again.

Leatherman:
Charge TTI, Wave, Kick, Skeletool, Style, Brewster, Juice C2, PST II

Victorinox:
Sport, Driver, Tinker, Traveler Lite, Cybertool Lite, Swisschamp, XAVT
No Life Club Posts: 2,306
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2021, 05:35:06 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks again for the suggestions. Just wanted to provide an update. I ordered some Case knives and unfortunately was incredibly disappointed with the quality for the price. I returned them, which I don't typically do unless it is pretty bad. I started another post over here just to see if others have experienced these issues or if I just got unlucky.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,88392.0.html

I think next I will try a Buck stockman. I wasn't crazy about the last couple of Bucks I had but they are a heck of a lot cheaper than Case.

Thanks again.

Sadly, I have seen some Case knives be hit or miss with regard to the fit & finish.  Some vintages seem to be better than others in this regard.  Ideal is either to buy the knife in person and check it yourself before buying, or to buy online from a dealer that is willing and able to check the knife for you before shipping.

Buck Stockmans are pretty straightforward.  You decide if you want large (301) or small (303).  Then you decide if you want black synthetic (“Valox”) scales with nickel silver bolsters, or stabilized rosewood with brass bolsters.  FWIW, I think the Buck stockmans are great working knives.  The main knocks on them seem to be that the springs tend to be on the weaker side, and that the blades have sort of an oddly thick saber grind.  With regard to the weaker springs, I actually prefer this, as it is much easier on the fingernails if one is opening the knife many times a day, and it doesn’t interfere with the functioning of the knife in any way.  With regard to grind, I feel like the thicker blades add to the rugged feel of the knife, and it doesn’t seem to create any sort problems when performing regular pocketknife tasks.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $156.88
PayPal Fees: $10.05
Net Balance: $146.83
Below Goal: $153.17
Site Currency: USD
49%