Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

integration of a 91mm cissors on an 84mm

hulk. · 19 · 1026

fr Offline hulk.

on: November 16, 2021, 10:08:50 AM
a wip that I share on several forums

it's not the only method, just how I do it

the initial theoretical project

small reminder of the axes
91mm --> 2.5mm et 2.2mm
84mm --> 2.2mm

the 1st layer will include the famous scissors and a large dish.
I drill the plates on the axis which receives the scissors from 2.2 -> 2.5

I reduce the size of the cissor blades about 0.5mm less
I use an old model of chisel with screws this will be easier if the cut generates a little play

it is necessary to keep the fat because if one proceeds to the shaping only closed cissor
we were surprised to have an unsightly dish.

the reduction in size involves the overlap of the 2 blades

for the shaping of the spring it is empirical.
it is necessary to arrange a housing for the branch when the cissor and in the handle
retouched the height of the locking notch, keeping in mind that the small spring of the cissor works in reverse.
with the consequence that if the force of the small and greater than the large the position fold in the handle and impossible
made a new stopper at the rear of the spring.
and take the height of the spring for which does not exceed dimensions.

the other layer will have a large blade, and the small flat screwdriver.
reduce the thickness of the flat screwdriver from 2 mm to 1.4 mm
and manufactured the corresponding washers
one of 1 mm and the other of 0.4 mm
I turn the can opener into a bottle opener, more useful for me.

practice and theory are two very different things.
we eat a little material here, a little there, we are wrong, in short the tip of the chisel comes out a little closed nothing bad I had planned the thing a little with the lug of the spring protruding from the plate
but as I am picky I added a small boxwood wedge which forces the compression of the chisel entirely in the handle

well I agree it's not perfect, and I should have kept the inclination of the initial slope.

and as everyone has certainly noticed, I replaced the corkscrew with the awl, the edge does not touch the spring
but there is a Slight lateral play because if I reduce it (the play), the large blade and the bottle opener rub.
I remind you that the rear tool plays a spreader role to prevent the springs from getting stuck.

punch 2mm thick
2.4mm thick corkscrew
spring thickness 2mm

opinion, criticism, question, fix, are welcome

gb Offline baldrab

Re: integration of a 91mm cissors on an 84mm
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 10:00:12 AM
top stuff, love it, thanks for showing.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 11:25:56 AM
I don't really understand what fix you are asking for? I think it looks like really good work!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

fr Offline hulk.

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 03:03:29 PM
I had a doubt about the size of the axes of an 84mm
it measures all 2.2mm in diameter?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 03:21:27 PM
Very interesting! Nice job :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 06:42:53 PM

opinion, criticism, question, fix, are welcome

I like the idea of the added tool at the end to avoid dealing with the extra hole.

But if (big if) you have the tooling to siamese the back pin hole, you can avoid the exposed hole altogether. Only needs to be opened about 1/2 the pin diameter. Moving the spring over also helps with the angled part where the scissor handle rests when closed.

Filling or bushing the 2.5mm holes closer to 2.2mm-2.3mm helps overall performance and feel.

The fix for your loose condition at the awl is to taper the washer(s) at the back pin and add some on the end pins. There are reasons why Victorinox stamps the liners or moulds the alox the way they do.

The spacer at the fixed end of the spring…it’s ‘better’ to have surfaces that are perpendicular to the forces the encounter. It’ll prevent creaking and movement during tool operation. The SD on the end will have some unwanted play when used. For such use, I would key the connection to prevent the movement.

Hope that helps you or anyone else who can use the construction tips.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 12:55:51 AM
Same concept of moving the spring over, but executed with the hook scissors. Took me 32 mins to draw, cut and drill. Test fitting and trimming will take longer.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 01:41:48 AM
Test with pins. Everything works as planned. Just need two more things to operate properly. Trim the lever end less than ~1mm. Cut fixed end where it will “hook” the pin. No trim of the scissor tips.

fr Offline hulk.

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 09:36:12 AM
Thank you for all your advice.

I note in the back of my head your precious Kamakiri advice
originally I kept the spring hole to add a lace pass
I'm glad this inspires you, your setup and interesting to add yet another tool

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 03:53:14 AM
Thank you for all your advice.

I note in the back of my head your precious Kamakiri advice
originally I kept the spring hole to add a lace pass
I'm glad this inspires you, your setup and interesting to add yet another tool

:cheers: You’re welcome.  :)

I was already working on this when I saw your post. Just wanted to take the opportunity to show that it’s possible to achieve the same without the exposed hole. 

I have since cut the external SD off and got to work on the test fitting and final trimming. That all went well, but still so much work to do with the cosmetics and polishing.  But the mechanics are all done. No trimming of the blades. 1mm taken off the scissor lever. No exposed joints in the backspring. Spine of the hook sits ~0.5mm proud. Not gonna eliminate that for this one. Possible, but lots of additional work.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 05:44:55 AM
Amazing mods boys - Love it

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 06:59:26 PM
Amazing mods boys - Love it

:cheers:  Thanks!

Pretty happy with it. Snaps like a vintage soldier…or like a ‘40s officer knife.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 03:40:41 AM
Awesome walk through, Hulk :o great pics and step by step :hatsoff: :like:

fr Offline hulk.

Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 10:02:06 AM
Thank you poncho65 !

I wonder if we can not replace the hook with the punch  :think: it would be more useful

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 04:02:32 PM
Thank you poncho65 !

I wonder if we can not replace the hook with the punch  :think: it would be more useful

Easy. But you gotta understand the differences in geometry before you start cutting.

I did more scissor springs with the exposed joint. Did 3 in very little time because it only need 3 cuts for each spring and pretty much no trimming or adjustment. Just file cleanup.

Offline ComboTool

Reply #15 on: November 22, 2021, 04:14:38 PM

I've done it on a 91mm, it just requires redrilling the awl in order to maintain appropriate tension on the scissors. One thing to keep in mind is that the bump on the backspring will create a dull spot on the awl edge. Alternatively, you can use a Wenger awl with no sharp edge.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2021, 04:49:59 PM
I've done it on a 91mm, it just requires redrilling the awl in order to maintain appropriate tension on the scissors.
Yes, that’s one way. Another is to locate the hole on the fixed end of the spring (higher) to make up for the difference.

One thing to keep in mind is that the bump on the backspring will create a dull spot on the awl edge.

Reprofiling the back of the spring can fix this and works with the relocation suggested above.

fr Offline hulk.

Reply #17 on: November 22, 2021, 05:21:00 PM
Yes, that’s one way. Another is to locate the hole on the fixed end of the spring (higher) to make up for the difference.

Reprofiling the back of the spring can fix this and works with the relocation suggested above.

I note, pierced the hole I am moderately enthusiastic, especially since there is really little material .
reprofiling and can be simpler

full of possible options  :woohoo:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2021, 06:48:41 PM

I note, pierced the hole I am moderately enthusiastic, especially since there is really little material .
reprofiling and can be simpler

full of possible options  :woohoo:

:tu:  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%