Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hello MTO. Another lurker enters the fray...

us Offline Fix8

Hello MTO. Another lurker enters the fray...
on: November 01, 2021, 08:18:02 PM
Hi everyone. This has been a long time coming for me, as I've found a lot of good information posted here in the past. From a quick reference of pivot diameters etc to a wealth of storytelling, silly banter, and awesome pictures to pass the time, I've always come back here for something or another. I've lately imagined how great it would be to post and share ideas with you all, time permitting. I'm happy to say that I've decided to make some time to at least try to give something back to MTO, and hopefully get to know some of you whose posts have lit my screen and my mind for as long as I have been visiting here.

A bit about me, I am a modder at heart. I have always been one to take the things that interest me apart. In that endeavor I have become very fond of reassembling them in new ways that better suit my wants and needs. I come from a past of previously modifying folding knives, rifles, other tools and EDC items. I am currently located in AZ.

Multitools have been a fascinating concept for me from a young age, though it wasn't until about 4 years ago that I began to collect and also to modify them in greater numbers. My first memory of handling an MT was at the age of 6, sitting in the driveway rummaging through my Dad's toolbox. There in the top tray of that box, covered in both metal filings and used motor oil was an old blunt nosed Gerber MP. It took a moment for me to figure out how the plier release worked, as I had only ever seen it quickly wrist flicked open in my Dad's larger adult hands. Upon deploying the pliers and discovering the internal implements, I was memorably stricken by the realization that this tool was designed to perform many other separate functions that a simple pair of pliers could not. A knife blade. Screwdrivers. A file? This tool seemingly had it all, and at my young age I wondered why anyone would choose not to use such a great multipurpose tool. Though even back then as a kid that stubby slipjoint phillips driver seemed awfully stubby  ::)

My first tool of my own was a Leatherman Sidekick, of all things. A Christmas gift from the parents sometime in my mid teens, it was one of the most useful and memorable gifts I had ever received. It helped me with many of my tinkering projects and daily tasks, and I pocket carried that tool for many years. It remained my daily companion until later in my twenties, when I began doing some framing and remodeling work, at which time the toolset that was previously unmatched in it's reliability and daily usefulness had become overshadowed by the heavy belt of dedicated and hard wearing tools that I carried at work. I ended up misplacing that Sidekick during a move, and now wish that I had kept better track of that old tool. As much as I loved and used it back then, I took it for granted and had always thought of it as an easily replaceable and cheap $25 tool. It takes me for a loop to see them now up around $60 new.

I also remember the day that I discovered the existence of the Wingman, and wished for a combined version of the two with a straight blade and those cool looking Wingman scissors. I did replace that old Sidekick eventually, and while not as cool as they looked back then, did also get a Wingman for it's scissors and create the hybrid tool that I had dreamed of when carrying the Sidekick. And there began my slide down the slippery slope of MT modding, collecting, and dreaming. It's been a fun ride but sometimes also a lonely one. Where else for an MT enthusiast to go than MTO? I don't intend to find out. I'd be very happy to have a place here among you.

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Hello MTO. Another lurker enters the fray...
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 10:48:28 PM
Welcome to MTO!

Thanks for sharing your history with MTs. I am sure many of us have similar stories (I do). Also great to have another modder become active in the forum  :tu:

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 12:42:40 AM
Hello and welcome aboard, finally  !    :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 03:02:04 PM
Welcome aboard, Fix8!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Fix8

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 06:57:48 PM
Thanks guys, I'm happy to be here  :cheers:

I'm looking forward to posting some builds soon, once I work out a good way to start collecting some better organized photos of them and getting those pictures posted here with write ups.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 07:37:03 PM
Glad to have you :cheers: and welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 11:08:48 PM
Welcome aboard! Great story, and I'd be interested to see some of your mods.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%