Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91mm SAK - Key ring without blade or opener layers? 340

Hero Member Posts: 868
91mm SAK - Key ring without blade or opener layers?
« on: November 22, 2021, 06:18:01 AM »
I'm planning a mod that won't have blade or opener layers. Is there a way to still have a key ring?

Just wondering if someone has been down this road before, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (6), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (2), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (3), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm
93mm: Pioneer Alox
No Life Club Posts: 2,861
Re: 91mm SAK - Key ring without blade or opener layers?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 08:03:19 PM »
Always possible.

What layers are you planning?

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 06:31:41 AM »
That would ruin the surprise when I unveil it.   :(

SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (6), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (2), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (3), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm
No Life Club Posts: 1,279
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 04:09:52 PM »
I'm planning a mod that won't have blade or opener layers. Is there a way to still have a key ring?

Just wondering if someone has been down this road before, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.
I don't know if you're reusing the old liners but if not that could be a way to incorporate a keyring. Like they did on older models.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 05:33:51 PM »
That would ruin the surprise when I unveil it.   :(

Well, I like surprises. But not gonna help me help you get a key ring on it!  ;)

Otherwise I could suggest a hole in one of the tools!  :D  :whistle:

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 05:26:07 AM »
I don't know if you're reusing the old liners but if not that could be a way to incorporate a keyring. Like they did on older models.
Interesting idea. I'd planned to use the corresponding liners and sideplates. Are you suggesting a custom liner (or sideplate) with a key ring on it?

SAKs:
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 05:36:56 AM »
Interesting idea. I'd planned to use the corresponding liners and sideplates. Are you suggesting a custom liner (or sideplate) with a key ring on it?

That’s the only way I could guess myself without knowing any other details. I’d use 0.8-1.0mm brass or nickel silver and template it off the spacer type. Or put it in the end if have backsprings with fixed ends.

Newbie Posts: 33
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 09:25:36 AM »
or a hollow rivet identical to old alox
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 06:30:04 PM »
Easiest would be to reuse an opener layer backspring with the lug on it. Cut a can opener or other tool to be the tip rest in the opposite side and spacer as needed or shave/mill the backspring and CO rest to the same thickness.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $52.47
PayPal Fees: $3.73
Net Balance: $48.74
Below Goal: $251.26
Site Currency: USD
16%