Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best tools for sharpening SAK/Leatherman wood saw?

us Offline hsherzfeld

Best tools for sharpening SAK/Leatherman wood saw?
on: December 24, 2021, 06:39:20 PM
What do y'all use to sharpen your multitool wood saws? Diamond needle files? Folded sandpaper? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Best tools for sharpening SAK/Leatherman wood saw?
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 07:10:26 PM
I don’t use my SAK/MT wood saws often enough to worry about it personally, but I think your best bet is to lay it flat on a flat stone.  Youtube is your friend.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 09:15:34 PM
I haven't used a saw enough in a while to have to sharpen one but I have had to sharpen a couple of them over the years  :salute:

I use a small taper file (I forget the size but it is small) and push towards each tooth a few times, going all the way down the saw in one direction (you can feel that with each pass on each tooth that the resistance gets less and less) and then get the other side the same way :salute:

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 09:27:49 PM
Felix Immler has a good video on sharpening SAK saws.

Being a bit of a woodworker I also have a selection of proper saw files, although I've not actually needed to try them out on my SAKs yet.
It's a crosscut pattern, so you'd need a double pass with the file at about 45º going forwards, then swap to 45º in the other direction going backwards. Paul Sellers has several videos on methods for sharpening woodsaws

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%