Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade Tough Tool: Opinions?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Schrade Tough Tool: Opinions?
on: November 23, 2021, 09:49:11 PM
What are your opinions on the Schrade Tough Tool? Are there any identifiers for the US made ones over the later China made ones? What sort of price would a 2nd hand one go for?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Schrade Tough Tool: Opinions?
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 04:17:47 AM
What are your opinions on the Schrade Tough Tool? Are there any identifiers for the US made ones over the later China made ones? What sort of price would a 2nd hand one go for?
I bought a Schrade Tough Tool when they were made in USA.  As you can see from the photo, it was engraved with "U.S.A." on the pliers jaw.  I don't know what the fair value of a used ST1 would be.

I wasn't fond of using ST1.  The individual tools were difficult to open and were riveted in so there was no way to loosen them unlike the Leatherman multitools.   That is why some refer to the ST1 as the "Schrade Tough to Open" tool.   ;)

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 05:41:37 AM
Decent pliers but that's about it. I got one when they first came out and quickly went back to my trusty PST. The originals had laminated pliers the Chinese ones have regular cast pliers.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 07:17:58 AM
US ones have rivets for the components pivots, and "USA" stamped on the pliers.

Chinese ones have torx screws for the pivots (and quite weak handles).

For prices I would look at sold ones on ebay to see what prices they are actually fetching (as opposed to what some optimistic sellers are asking for).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 07:21:21 AM
You can check Chako's thread with old and new Tough Tools. :cheers:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=73947.0

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 06:29:06 PM
I like the USA made Tough Tool.
The overall quality is great, also for the implements. It is a bit quirky design wise but I like it somehow  :D

gerleatherberman and Douglas hosted a challenge dedicated to the Schrade Tough Tool once.
A very nice read  :tu:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,80263.msg1847152.html#msg1847152

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 07:01:48 PM
Cheers everyone. I'll see if it's still available on Friday, and if I'm feeling flush I might pull the trigger
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 07:37:53 PM
I have one: \

The Chinese versions are smurfy smurf. I have a ton of off-brand Chinese tools that range from passable to good. The "Schrade" is pretty awful. Avoid it. It was so bad, I had to abandon using one before the Daredevil Challenge even started.

As for the USA version.

Pliers are about as tough as one can get. Used to be the laminated style was exclusive to them. Now, Gerber is coming out with a model called the Dual Force that has slipjoint laminated pliers that is MUCH better than the Schrade in every way.

Drivers suck; especially the Phillips.

File is awful.

Ergonomics are really weird. Tools are much shorter than they could be due to the tool's design, and being as they pivot from the fat side of the tool, it is really awkward to use.

If it's cheap, sure (I paid $15 if I recall for mine), else pass. And I'm normally a huge proponent of Schrade's USA stuff. I suspect developing the Tough Tool played a part in them going broke.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 09:02:00 PM
I find the file decent and the philips too. They're not particulary short, but the design limits it, like on any other tool.

Here's a quick comparison to a PST (top) and Super Tool (bottom)... just a few implements...  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%