Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30 SAKs in 30 Days for December 2021. All are welcome!

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Re: 30 SAKs in 30 Days for December 2021. All are welcome!
Reply #120 on: December 15, 2021, 04:38:07 AM
Day 14

Today I am carrying the rancher. I don't normally carry it because there's no keyring. I really like the pruner blade for opening duty. Need to make a real effort to remember it's there. I have cut myself several times by forgetting it's NOT a can opener!  :facepalm:
That's a nice one. Someone had an Alox with a pruner blade in last month's challenge, Sos24 maybe? She really liked the pruner blade, too.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: December 15, 2021, 04:39:30 AM
Day 14 bonus pic

Here's a Brutsch-Ruegger Tools dark red pioneer.
That's nice. I've never seen one that shade.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: December 15, 2021, 04:51:46 AM
Day 14

I thought this would be a good back-to-back pairing...

Yesterday was the 85mm Wenger Serrated Commander. Today is the 91mm Victorinox Serrated Spartan (aka Weekender). Nearly the same tool load.

It was an eBay purchase back in July. I don't carry it as I keep it clean for food prep when traveling. But in the spirit of the challenge, it went to work today, cutting non-food things. These serrated blades are sharp!

It will get cleaned later tonight. The things I do for SAK challenges...

* 2021-12-14 21.46.22.jpg (Filesize: 504.94 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: December 15, 2021, 05:00:18 AM
You're welcome, and thanks to you and Jackpine54 for sharing yours! The serrated Commander is pretty neat. Serrated blades are something I rarely use, though.
Ouch! I have a couple of pruning knives, and I'm extremely careful when I handle them. That's one instance in which a half-stop should be mandatory. Your Rancher sure is sweet!
What a great-looking knife!

Day 14

I spotted this Huntsman on eBay and didn't bid. When it went unsold, I made sure I was up early so I could get it when its re-listing ended. The unusual logo lured me in. SOCAR stands for State Oil Company of the Azerbaijani Republic. This one isn't a user, but one that I appreciate for being unusual and maybe even rare.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
Cool logo. Rare here, sure. In the Azerbaijani Republic? Probably not as much.   :rofl:
SAKs:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #124 on: December 15, 2021, 07:52:46 PM
Awesome selections yesterday awl!

The weekender is pretty rare I think and that huntsman might be the only one you'll ever see with that logo. Good stuff  :like:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #125 on: December 15, 2021, 07:58:28 PM
Day 15

In celebration of the halfway point in this challenge I submit two.

Here's a camper & hiker . The same, but different. If I remember correctly my boys both had hikers in cub scouts. Probably didn't really need the corkscrew. I prefer the corkscrew on my carry knives. Not so much for wine, but as a knot tool/pokey scrapey tool.

* KIMG1597.jpg (Filesize: 297.46 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #126 on: December 15, 2021, 11:04:03 PM
Today is the 91mm Victorinox Serrated Spartan (aka Weekender).
Nice! I might want to give one of those a try someday.

In celebration of the halfway point in this challenge I submit two.
That's a dynamic duo! I might just show my Hiker(s) tomorrow.

Dayb15K

Jackpine54 and SteveP have shown Bantams, so today I'll do so. The Bantam you're looking at is a carrier. When I got my first one, I was amazed by how light and slim it is; it's really easy to forget it's in my pocket! Though it's light and slim, it has a lot of utility. It came with me when I went out and about earlier today.

PSX_20211215_162109.jpg
* PSX_20211215_162109.jpg (Filesize: 104.54 KB)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 11:13:19 PM by Farmer X »
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #127 on: December 16, 2021, 05:28:18 AM
Day 15 Bonus

Here are the other four Bantams I own. The first is blue Cellidor with a logo. In the second picture, from top to bottom, are: blue Swiss Knife Shop exclusive, standard silver, and red Knife Center exclusive. None of these are users, but I've come to appreciate the Bantam's ability to punch well above its own weight. I will be getting more of them.

USN 2000-2006

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #128 on: December 16, 2021, 06:08:37 AM
Day 15 Bonus

Here are the other four Bantams I own. The first is blue Cellidor with a logo. In the second picture, from top to bottom, are: blue Swiss Knife Shop exclusive, standard silver, and red Knife Center exclusive. None of these are users, but I've come to appreciate the Bantam's ability to punch well above its own weight. I will be getting more of them.

Those Alox Bantams look really nice.
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: December 16, 2021, 06:11:38 AM
Day 15

Half way there!

Another step up in size today, to a Pioneer Alox Old Cross with brass liners. I got this one back in May at my favorite junk shop for - you should sit down now...

... $3.

Today is the first time I've carried it as I prefer a SAK with more layers and generally don't need one this beefy. It had no trouble handling my usual cutting tasks of plastic straps and opening cardboard boxes. The Alox does feel good in the hand. Makes me wonder if I should look into one with scissors.

* 2021-12-15 21.23.00.jpg (Filesize: 506.51 KB)
SAKs:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: December 16, 2021, 07:42:07 AM
Cripes- another stunning score, SteveP - and $3….. wow! :hatsoff:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #131 on: December 16, 2021, 08:25:08 AM
Great stuff guys, some extremely cool SAK action  :like:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #132 on: December 16, 2021, 08:45:13 PM
I got this one back in May at my favorite junk shop for - you should sit down now...
I was sitting down when I read that. Talk about the deal of the millennium! It's little wonder you haven't divulged the name or location of this treasure shop.

Great stuff guys, some extremely cool SAK action  :like:
Thanks, and nice to see another check-in!

Day 16

Earlier this year, we got an estimate for new windows. The estimator had to walk around a corner of the house that was partially covered in overgrowth. I took out my SAK and started sawing said brambles away. That was a pivotal moment, as I realized what a brilliant piece of kit the SAK saw is. I've never done yardwork without one since, and I wonder why it took me almost 30 years to realize that.

The Hiker in today's picture was that SAK. It occupies a special place in my collection because of that epiphany. Today it helped unpack a produce order and enlarge a hole for a sink drain.

30 Days 30 SAKs Challenge Day 16.jpg
* 30 Days 30 SAKs Challenge Day 16.jpg (Filesize: 146.03 KB)
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #133 on: December 17, 2021, 12:17:03 AM
Awesome bantam collection  :tu: and yup the saw is almost indispensable. Nice hiker.

Great OC pioneer. I bought one for $5.00, but that was in the 1980s  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:58:51 AM by Jackpine54 »

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #134 on: December 17, 2021, 02:27:16 AM
Day 16

How about a SoCoCut Farmer .
I think if I had to choose only one model, the farmer wins. I usually have one in my pocket, unless I am doing a challenge.  :tu:

Oh yeah.... and a swisschamp on my belt  :dunno:
KIMG1598.jpg
* KIMG1598.jpg (Filesize: 234.2 KB)

KIMG1598.jpg
* KIMG1598.jpg (Filesize: 234.2 KB)

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #135 on: December 17, 2021, 03:46:31 AM
Earlier this year, we got an estimate for new windows. The estimator had to walk around a corner of the house that was partially covered in overgrowth. I took out my SAK and started sawing said brambles away. That was a pivotal moment, as I realized what a brilliant piece of kit the SAK saw is. I've never done yardwork without one since, and I wonder why it took me almost 30 years to realize that.

The saw on my Champ has come in handy a few times. Sometimes I'm still amazed with what you can do with a SAK, which is really a relatively small tool when you think about it, even the larger Champ model.
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: December 17, 2021, 03:48:44 AM
Day 16

Going for the unusual today with the Timekeeper Alarm. Basically a Tinker with digital scales with clock, alarm, and countdown timer. Picked it up at a different junk shop for $15.

I was asking the owner about SAKs. He showed me some cheap Chinese clones, then we talked about SAKs some more, then he must have decided I was a knife guy, so he went into a back room and came back with the Timekeeper. The battery was dead so I replaced it and it works great. Looks like it's never been used or even carried. I think it still has the factory oil on the blades.

I don't carry it. I have it propped up on my desk as a desk clock.  :)

But I did carry it today for the challenge. I was off work, so the only use it got was opening a plastic package of frozen pasta for dinner. But I have to admit I timed it so I'd have this SAK on a day off so there'd be minimal risk to it.

* 2021-12-16 18.42.24.jpg (Filesize: 482.95 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #137 on: December 17, 2021, 11:00:26 AM
But I have to admit I timed it so I'd have this SAK on a day off so there'd be minimal risk to it.

Of course you timed it.......  :rofl:

That's a really cool knife! Not sure where you live, but apparently the junk shops are plentiful and cheap. Great find!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #138 on: December 17, 2021, 04:25:06 PM
How about a SoCoCut Farmer .
:like: I have a copy of that book, too.

Going for the unusual today with the Timekeeper Alarm.
Sweet! I'll be showing one with electronics myself. But for now...

Day 17

For the next few days, I'll be showing 58mm models. Though I don't carry them much, I like to collect them. Here we have an assortment of Classic SDs.

I've highlighted one in particular. It was part of a lot of 10 that cost me about $16.50. I pulled it out of the package and thought, "it has a cool logo and it's black...nice." When I saw it in better lighting, I realized it isn't black, but dark blue/original sapphire. Score!

USN 2000-2006

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #139 on: December 17, 2021, 10:51:15 PM

I realized it isn't black, but dark blue/original sapphire. Score!

:like:
That a nice collection! I love it when you get one that's unique and totally unexpected.

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #140 on: December 17, 2021, 10:56:19 PM
Day 17

Today I carried a Harvester.

Honestly I am glad to be carrying something with a wood saw. The first several days of this challenge was...er...challenging without a saw. So much so that I had to carry an extra!

The saw even works as a multipurpose tool if you don't have a scaler  :dunno:

* KIMG1601.jpg (Filesize: 116.95 KB)

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #141 on: December 18, 2021, 07:52:06 AM
:like: I have a copy of that book, too.
Sweet! I'll be showing one with electronics myself. But for now...

Day 17

For the next few days, I'll be showing 58mm models. Though I don't carry them much, I like to collect them. Here we have an assortment of Classic SDs.

I've highlighted one in particular. It was part of a lot of 10 that cost me about $16.50. I pulled it out of the package and thought, "it has a cool logo and it's black...nice." When I saw it in better lighting, I realized it isn't black, but dark blue/original sapphire. Score!

I'm looking forward to seeing your electronic SAK and hearing if you carry it or not.

Collecting 58mm SAKs - now that's a hobby that will never end. How many do you have so far?

The dark blue is nice. I've never seen that before.
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #142 on: December 18, 2021, 07:57:18 AM
Day 17
Back to hardier SAKs today with the Wenger Traveler.

A bit of a story behind this one. My father got one as a company promo where he worked back in the '80s. I never knew he had it until I was telling him about some of my SAKs over the summer, and he mentioned having a black Swiss Army Knife way back. He's not a pocket knife guy and it vanished long ago. But he's kept in touch with the HR director (now retired), called him up, and the guy still had several of them. He sent my dad one and he sent it on to me.

No box unfortunately and it's got some pocket wear on the scales, but still a nice old SAK with a fun story. I like the tool load and the size, but would prefer the Vic Delemont Evolution 14 (or 16) version with the Vic can opener with small screwdriver for Phillips screws. I might have to do some browsing on eBay...

I've never had to use a SAK to open a can. They always seem to have pull-tops or I've got a dedicated can opener nearby. So having the Wenger tool that just opens cans is a waste for me.

* 2021-12-18 00.20.24.jpg (Filesize: 487 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #143 on: December 18, 2021, 04:27:39 PM
Nice Traveller SteveP! With a story  :tu:

I use the can opener several times a week. I definitely prefer the Vic style for opening and the small driver.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #144 on: December 18, 2021, 04:44:58 PM
Today I carried a Harvester.
Yet another that's on my to-get list. I want to test out the pruner blade. Good carry!

Back to hardier SAKs today with the Wenger Traveler.
One of two Wengers I've owned was a Traveler. Like your Dad's, it disappeared long ago. You're most fortunate to have that one!

To answer the questions Steve asked: for every 58mm seen in the Day 17 picture, there is at least one other 58mm in my collection. I will get an exact count as the challenge progresses. Dark blue/original sapphire is not at all a common color, which is why I was so delighted to get ahold of that one.

And the SAK with electronics is not a carrier...yet. Not because I'm worried about fragility, but because it's missing its pen. That's one of those little things that annoy me in a big way. And none of my usual knife retailers had the pen in stock last I checked.

Day 18

Okay, enough with the rambling preamble...here's a Classic. This one was also part of my $1.65/ea. haul. It came to me with black scales engraved with a previous owner's initials. For a while it was without scales, and then I decided to go dark green. I think I made an excellent choice. It will make a great carrier in conjunction with a Pioneer.

* 30 Days 30 SAKs Challenge Day 18.jpg (Filesize: 310.72 KB)
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #145 on: December 19, 2021, 02:14:54 AM
[quote author=Farmer X link=topic=88470.msg2303892#msg2303892 date=1639842298
I decided to go dark green. I think I made an excellent choice. It will make a great carrier in conjunction with a Pioneer.
[/quote]
Great color choice. I agree  it should make a great add on with the pioneer

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #146 on: December 19, 2021, 04:10:02 AM
Day 18

A few climbers today.

Black, white and yellow with plus scales, and a green. I have 8 climbers total. I think the climber is a great edc when you're doing indoor tasks.

* KIMG1605.jpg (Filesize: 185.71 KB)

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #147 on: December 19, 2021, 05:28:05 AM
Nice Traveller SteveP! With a story  :tu:

I use the can opener several times a week. I definitely prefer the Vic style for opening and the small driver.
Well, I did some browsing on eBay. Found a Delemont Evolution 16 and got it for a good price. If it gets here before the challenge ends, it'll make a guest appearance.   :D

If I wasn't in this challenge, I never would have carried the Traveler, which made me curious about Vic Delemont equivalents, which led me to eBay and yet another SAK. Bad MTO, bad.  :facepalm:
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #148 on: December 19, 2021, 05:30:21 AM
And the SAK with electronics is not a carrier...yet. Not because I'm worried about fragility, but because it's missing its pen. That's one of those little things that annoy me in a big way. And none of my usual knife retailers had the pen in stock last I checked.
I've seen 91mm and 58mm pens for sale on eBay. I know there are 91mm ones out there now.
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #149 on: December 19, 2021, 05:32:12 AM
Day 18

Okay, enough with the rambling preamble...here's a Classic. This one was also part of my $1.65/ea. haul. It came to me with black scales engraved with a previous owner's initials. For a while it was without scales, and then I decided to go dark green. I think I made an excellent choice. It will make a great carrier in conjunction with a Pioneer.
Looks good. I'm warming up to green scales. Emerald translucent were my first green ones. I wasn't sure at first, but once I got them on the SAK, I really liked them. Been thinking about solid green as well.
SAKs:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD