Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30 SAKs in 30 Days for December 2021. All are welcome!

us Offline Jackpine54

Re: 30 SAKs in 30 Days for December 2021. All are welcome!
Reply #90 on: December 10, 2021, 10:41:36 PM
Here's another one I was playing with today. A 20 gauge fusil de chasse flintlock. I used the pioneer to change out flints.

Both are left handed flintlocks.

* KIMG1578.jpg (Filesize: 60.39 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #91 on: December 11, 2021, 05:42:05 AM
I usually also have a 91mm on me, usually a Swiss Champ. So maybe between the two Champs, I am ready for most anything?
I'd say so. Cool mod to the MiniChamp, and danged if I can see where the scale was cut. I'll be posting a MiniChamp at some point in the challenge.

Today I have a pioneer.
And a nice one it is! The rifles are pretty cool, too. I'd like to shoot such a thing someday...the only firearms I've used have been loaded with cartridges.

Day 10

Still a 91mmm, still in black, but the layer count has increased substantially.

This is another one with a bit of a back story. Around the time I got my first Tinker, my Dad was given some kind of award or bonus by his employer. He selected a black SwissChamp. Though the Tinker was pretty cool, young Farmer X thought the SwissChamp was a pinnacle of human achievement. I was completely unable to afford one at the time, and it wouldn't have been a practical carry for me. However, I'd sneak into my Dad's dresser drawer to admire it, and I vowed I'd own one someday.

About 30 years later, I made good on that vow. This is my carrier/user SwissChamp. It was very gratifying to get it in hand and start carrying it. Most of the tools have been put to use. I've temporarily stopped carrying it, as I feel it's better suited for belt carry and I don't have a sheath or pouch that I like. But being my only user SAK with pliers, it's been in my paracord tools box. The lanyard attached to it was finished up (with scissors and pliers) a few moments before the photos were taken.

USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: December 11, 2021, 06:01:36 AM
:like:

Awesome minichamp plus!  :tu:

With that  EDC I think you're miles ahead of most!
Thanks, Jackpine.

It lets me handle most small stuff easily. I started putting the kit together as I have two Adirondack chairs on the deck and the hex head screws holding them together seemed to be regularly coming loose. Hex bit coupler + 4mm hex bit solved that problem, but what to keep them in? And the kit grew from there through a couple of configurations.

No, I won't be remodeling my house with it, but when there's a screw loose in something or a stubborn battery compartment or something small and finicky needing pliers/giant tweezers, I'm set!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 06:28:50 AM by SteveP »
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: December 11, 2021, 06:02:53 AM
Day 10

Today I have a pioneer.
Actually my first SAK was a pioneer old cross that came from a garage sale. 1981-82 ish  :think:
This example is one of my favorites. I love the red shield against the black scales.
That's a good looking SAK!
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: December 11, 2021, 06:09:49 AM
Here you go SteveP

54 cal Great plains rifle
Nice!

54 cal? I'm guessing you aren't using it on ducks?
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: December 11, 2021, 06:21:09 AM
I'd say so. Cool mod to the MiniChamp, and danged if I can see where the scale was cut. I'll be posting a MiniChamp at some point in the challenge.
And a nice one it is! The rifles are pretty cool, too. I'd like to shoot such a thing someday...the only firearms I've used have been loaded with cartridges.

Day 10

Still a 91mmm, still in black, but the layer count has increased substantially.

This is another one with a bit of a back story. Around the time I got my first Tinker, my Dad was given some kind of award or bonus by his employer. He selected a black SwissChamp. Though the Tinker was pretty cool, young Farmer X thought the SwissChamp was a pinnacle of human achievement. I was completely unable to afford one at the time, and it wouldn't have been a practical carry for me. However, I'd sneak into my Dad's dresser drawer to admire it, and I vowed I'd own one someday.

About 30 years later, I made good on that vow. This is my carrier/user SwissChamp. It was very gratifying to get it in hand and start carrying it. Most of the tools have been put to use. I've temporarily stopped carrying it, as I feel it's better suited for belt carry and I don't have a sheath or pouch that I like. But being my only user SAK with pliers, it's been in my paracord tools box. The lanyard attached to it was finished up (with scissors and pliers) a few moments before the photos were taken.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Thanks, Farmer X. I sanded a couple of mm off the key ring end of the donor scale and did my best to put a matching 3D curve on it. After the sanding, puttying, and painting, the mod looks good, but not perfect. The camera makes it look better than it is. If I did it again, I'd spend more time smoothing/sanding the putty. But for daily carry, loose in my pocket (no sheath), the putty and paint have held up very well. And I love having all three onboard tools.

Nice black Champ by the way! I may be posting a black Champ at some point in the challenge.   :)

I carry my Champ either in the Victorinox Large Leather Clip Pouch (I think it's model #33256) or in the watch pocket of my jeans.

SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: December 11, 2021, 06:39:27 AM
Day 10

Moving up from 58mm to 65mm - the Wenger Esquire.

I found this one at a different junk shop, but at a similar ridiculously low price - $3. Even still had the T&T in it! Same tools as the Vic Classic, just a little bigger. This was another "Hey, that looks cool" purchase, but not one I carry. Though I'm making an exception for the challenge.  :)

Today I used it to cut open some plastic packing straps.

The biggest thing I learned about it today is that it needs sharpening.  :(

But if I carried a Classic, I'd be thinking about moving up to the Esquire. The additional 7mm adds enough to make this SAK feel more capable. If it only had a screwdriver tip on the end of the nail file, instead of the nail cleaner tip.

* 2021-12-10 23.32.20.jpg (Filesize: 481.03 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #97 on: December 11, 2021, 06:20:42 PM
Hard to beat a swisschamp! Nice one FarmerX

Wenger esquire......I need to figure out where all these junk shops are! Nice one SteveP

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #98 on: December 11, 2021, 09:23:23 PM
Day 11

Here's a spartan with white plus scales.

* KIMG1580.jpg (Filesize: 221.79 KB)

* KIMG1579.jpg (Filesize: 207.48 KB)

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #99 on: December 11, 2021, 11:06:42 PM
Day 11.5

In the late 70's I used to spend some time with my great uncle, a WW2 vet, exploring the backwoods of Michigan. He took me fishing, mushroom hunting, berry picking, squirrel hunting. He knew all the spots for whatever season. He drove a station wagon that held every bit of gear a guy might need from waders and fishing poles to bow saw and camp stove. It wasn't uncommon for the state to buy properties adjacent to state lands and give the owners a life lease. One day he drove us to a little shack in the woods. He told me the old hermit that lived there had died and the property would be property of the state soon. I know the old guy had no family, we'd stopped in for refreshment before and heard his stories. Apparently he had told my uncle "when I'm gone, take what you want before the state does". So we checked it out for treasure. I remember an old shotgun and some fishing gear. The thing I remember most was on the kitchen windowsill. A red swiss army knife. It had a saw and scissors and was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen.
Fast forward a bunch of years. My uncle passed away while I was overseas. My grandmother says she has a few things that my uncle left for me. Among them are 2 swiss army knives. I believe this old beat up field master is the one from the shack. It looks like he used it quite a bit since that day. I can only imagine the fun that knife had. I don't carry it but it's not for sale.

This one has square Phillips with can key and metal tipped tweezers.

The other one I'll put on tomorrow.

* KIMG1583.jpg (Filesize: 111.18 KB)

* KIMG1584.jpg (Filesize: 104.74 KB)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:12:31 PM by Jackpine54 »

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #100 on: December 12, 2021, 04:38:21 AM
I may be posting a black Champ at some point in the challenge.
Hope to see your black Champ! I need to see how well mine fits in the Zermatt pouch I got from Aloha. If so, a modification to the belt loop and a re-dye would make it perfect for my Champ.

I found this one at a different junk shop, but at a similar ridiculously low price - $3.
You have all the luck with junk shops! Nice find, and can't wait to see what the next one is.

They sure do look good when they're nice and clean. Both of the white SAKs I own are showing marked signs of use.

I believe this old beat up field master is the one from the shack. It looks like he used it quite a bit since that day. I can only imagine the fun that knife had. I don't carry it but it's not for sale.
:like: Great story behind it, too. I blame you not at all for wanting to hang on to it!

Day 11

Shifting gears big-time here. Yesterday's SwissChamp was packed with features, but today's SAK is minimalism in the extreme. The Swiss Army 1, or Solo, has a large blade and nothing else. I received this one as a birthday present about three months ago. It's not a user, but I may add a carrier Solo in time.

USN 2000-2006

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: December 12, 2021, 05:19:40 AM
Day 11

Nice!
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: December 12, 2021, 05:21:35 AM
Day 11.5

In the late 70's I used to spend some time with my great uncle, a WW2 vet, exploring the backwoods of Michigan. He took me fishing, mushroom hunting, berry picking, squirrel hunting. He knew all the spots for whatever season. He drove a station wagon that held every bit of gear a guy might need from waders and fishing poles to bow saw and camp stove. It wasn't uncommon for the state to buy properties adjacent to state lands and give the owners a life lease. One day he drove us to a little shack in the woods. He told me the old hermit that lived there had died and the property would be property of the state soon. I know the old guy had no family, we'd stopped in for refreshment before and heard his stories. Apparently he had told my uncle "when I'm gone, take what you want before the state does". So we checked it out for treasure. I remember an old shotgun and some fishing gear. The thing I remember most was on the kitchen windowsill. A red swiss army knife. It had a saw and scissors and was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen.
Fast forward a bunch of years. My uncle passed away while I was overseas. My grandmother says she has a few things that my uncle left for me. Among them are 2 swiss army knives. I believe this old beat up field master is the one from the shack. It looks like he used it quite a bit since that day. I can only imagine the fun that knife had. I don't carry it but it's not for sale.

This one has square Phillips with can key and metal tipped tweezers.

The other one I'll put on tomorrow.
Now that's a great SAK story.
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: December 12, 2021, 05:39:32 AM
Day 11

Moving up again, this time from 65mm to 74mm - the Executive.

I picked this one up on eBay after learning about it in the run up to the Chuck Yeager Memorial Challenge this month. Interesting SAK, looks like it should be even more capable than the Esquire due to the larger size. But I'm not sure. The tools are long, but thin. I did some test screwing - Phillips with the tip of the nail file and slotted with the tip of the orange peeler - and there was an alarming amount of torquing to the blades.

The 74mm line is also hobbled by lack of tools, in my opinion. I'm thinking now that if my Esquire from yesterday had a screwdriver tip on the nail file and a scaled-up equivalent of the 58mm combo tool, it would be a near-perfect small SAK.

I carried the Executive today, but being the weekend, not a lot of opportunities for use. Just some quick package opening with the main blade, other than the test screwing.

* 2021-12-11 22.32.07.jpg (Filesize: 499.15 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #104 on: December 12, 2021, 07:08:29 PM
Great solo FX. I've never had one of them, but may have to start looking for one!

SteveP- nice executive. I'm with you, all the blades feel long and thin. Looks like everyone in the Chuck Yeager challenge is doing fine with them though!

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #105 on: December 12, 2021, 10:52:33 PM
Day 12

Sapphire tinker today. It's my only 91mm tinker. I'm not sure where I got it, but I've had it for quite a while.

* KIMG1587.jpg (Filesize: 193.88 KB)

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #106 on: December 12, 2021, 10:55:06 PM
Day 12.5

Here's the other knife my great uncle left me. An older huntsman with grooved corkscrew, no halfstop opener and metal tipped tweezers.

* KIMG1588.jpg (Filesize: 213.71 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #107 on: December 13, 2021, 03:23:33 AM
Moving up again, this time from 65mm to 74mm - the Executive.
Nice Executive!

Great solo FX. I've never had one of them, but may have to start looking for one!
Thanks...and you can find 'em brand-new for about $25. Nice Tinker and Huntsman, too, and the background for rhe Huntsman is great!

Day 12

Today I pulled the Climber out of the carrier roll. I plucked it out of the surprise box that Sos24 sent a few months ago, as I'd never had a carrier Climber. My intention is to put blue or yellow scales on it someday. It's one of two SAKs in the carrier roll that hadn't been carried (the other one is waiting on the supply chain to catch up). I gave the Climber's blades and scissors a test on some paracord; they passed with flying colors.

30 Days 30 SAKs Challenge Day 12.jpg
* 30 Days 30 SAKs Challenge Day 12.jpg (Filesize: 123.61 KB)
USN 2000-2006

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: December 13, 2021, 05:45:28 AM
Day 12

Sapphire tinker today. It's my only 91mm tinker. I'm not sure where I got it, but I've had it for quite a while.
Nice tinker!

I've been slowly warming to the sapphire scales. I picked up a Champion with them, never had them before, and they're definitely growing on me.
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: December 13, 2021, 05:46:50 AM
Day 12.5

Here's the other knife my great uncle left me. An older huntsman with grooved corkscrew, no halfstop opener and metal tipped tweezers.
That Huntsman looks like it's in great shape for an older SAK.
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: December 13, 2021, 05:49:56 AM
Day 12

Another step up, this time to 84mm, with the Bantam. Bought this one back in May, another $3 junk shop find and another case of not knowing what it was at the time, but I didn't have one of whatever it was so I had to get it. It's a sickness, I know.
 :facepalm:

Too few tools for me to carry it regularly.

But I did carry it today in the spirit of the challenge. A slow Sunday with the main project being putting up some Christmas decorations. I didn't think I'd have much need for a SAK, but the Bantam did well for itself - cutting off an unneeded zip tie, cutting through tangled and dead Christmas tree lights, cutting tape to ship a box of gifts. I even used the combo tool to pry open the fuse covers on a couple of strands of dead lights.

And the short length and single layer meant it slipped nicely into my pants pocket.

* 2021-12-12 22.29.45.jpg (Filesize: 496.33 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #111 on: December 13, 2021, 10:06:46 PM
FX- can't beat a climber! I used to carry one a lot, especially on office days.  :like:

SteveP- nice bantam. I know what your saying about the limited tools. I thought I'd outgrow the swisschamp + something else phase. I guess it's not going to happen  :facepalm:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #112 on: December 13, 2021, 10:10:04 PM
Day 13

Today I took the alox soldier for a walk. This is an 02 and the only one I have. I'd love to find my birth year soldier, but rarely see a 67.

* KIMG1589.jpg (Filesize: 234.4 KB)

* KIMG1590.jpg (Filesize: 241.43 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #113 on: December 14, 2021, 04:37:02 AM
Bought this one back in May, another $3 junk shop find and another case of not knowing what it was at the time, but I didn't have one of whatever it was so I had to get it.
I know that feeling all too well. You got yourself a nice Bantam! The Alox version slips into a pocket even better...

Today I took the alox soldier for a walk.
Nice Soldier! That's one I'll be hunting for a while, I'm sure. A 1978 (my birth year) would be nice.

Day 13

Here's one I bought for no reason other than the SAK Wiki page said it's rare: the Princess. Few SAKs come more minimal than this one; just a blade, nail file, and nail cleaner. The camera and the harsh lighting really magnify its imperfections, and I probably paid a little too much for it. Nevertheless, I'm happy to have it. No key ring means it's retired from carry.

USN 2000-2006

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: December 14, 2021, 06:59:18 AM
Day 13

A 1mm step up to 85mm and the Wenger Serrated Commander. I wanted to see what a partially-serrated blade was like and found this one on eBay for a good price back in July. At the time I was considering a 91mm mod with a partially-serrated blade, but gave up when I couldn't find a blade at an acceptable price.

I haven't carried this one as I miss the small screwdriver tip on the Vic can openers. With SAKs with the curved Wenger can opener and corkscrew, I don't have any way to work with Phillips screws. The tip of the nail file just isn't shaped right.

I used it today to cut through some plastic shipping straps. The serrated blade made very short work of it. Later the screwdriver and tip of the nail file stepped up for more messing with tiny fuses in strands of Christmas lights.

I've got to say that I'm really enjoying this challenge and the variety of SAKs I'm seeing and am getting to use. Thank you both for sharing your collections. Some of my SAKs I wouldn't want to use for a month-long challenge, but I'm liking getting a taste for a day. Some of them I'll try out again for a week or so.

* 2021-12-13 23.42.43.jpg (Filesize: 493.51 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #115 on: December 14, 2021, 06:16:01 PM

Here's one I bought for no reason other than the SAK Wiki page said it's rare: the Princess.

I hate it when that happens  :rofl:

Nice score, I've never seen one for sale.

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #116 on: December 14, 2021, 06:21:02 PM

A 1mm step up to 85mm and the Wenger Serrated Commander.

Some of my SAKs I wouldn't want to use for a month-long challenge, but I'm liking getting a taste for a day.

Nice commander! I'm with you, the Wenger can opener is ok, bit I miss the Phillips capability.

I have several that I am using this month that don't normally get carried. Might find a new favorite!

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #117 on: December 14, 2021, 06:24:50 PM
Day 14

Today I am carrying the rancher. I don't normally carry it because there's no keyring. I really like the pruner blade for opening duty. Need to make a real effort to remember it's there. I have cut myself several times by forgetting it's NOT a can opener!  :facepalm:

* KIMG1593.jpg (Filesize: 211.63 KB)

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #118 on: December 14, 2021, 06:40:16 PM
Day 14 bonus pic

Here's a Brutsch-Ruegger Tools dark red pioneer.

* KIMG1594.jpg (Filesize: 141.06 KB)

* KIMG1596.jpg (Filesize: 135.72 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #119 on: December 15, 2021, 12:33:06 AM
I'm really enjoying this challenge and the variety of SAKs I'm seeing and am getting to use. Thank you both for sharing your collections.
You're welcome, and thanks to you and Jackpine54 for sharing yours! The serrated Commander is pretty neat. Serrated blades are something I rarely use, though.

I have cut myself several times by forgetting it's NOT a can opener!
Ouch! I have a couple of pruning knives, and I'm extremely careful when I handle them. That's one instance in which a half-stop should be mandatory. Your Rancher sure is sweet!

Here's a Brutsch-Ruegger Tools dark red pioneer.
What a great-looking knife!

Day 14

I spotted this Huntsman on eBay and didn't bid. When it went unsold, I made sure I was up early so I could get it when its re-listing ended. The unusual logo lured me in. SOCAR stands for State Oil Company of the Azerbaijani Republic. This one isn't a user, but one that I appreciate for being unusual and maybe even rare.

30 Days 30 SAKs Challenge Day 14.jpg
* 30 Days 30 SAKs Challenge Day 14.jpg (Filesize: 144.75 KB)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 12:44:27 AM by Farmer X »
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%