Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

HX OUTDOORS 9-in-1 Multi-pliers

Offline lsalzman

HX OUTDOORS 9-in-1 Multi-pliers
on: November 24, 2021, 09:46:15 PM
I just picked up this off of AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003100578738.html. It took about a month to ship from China to the USA. Got it for $25.

It seems like it is in that awkward size range between a keychain multitool like the Squirt and a full-size multitool, that is more alike to a large SAK in shape and heft.

The G10 handles feel nice and grippy, and the overall construction feels pretty sturdy. All tools except pliers are accessible while the pliers are closed, which is nice.

Some comparison shots (left to right: Squirt PS4, Boker Tech Tool 5, HX OUTDOORS 9-in-1, Victorinox Spirit X):

The unusual bit about this tool is its scissors, which you can open only one half of to a make a non-locking small knife, or pull out both to make a pretty beefy pair of scissors. The knife seems razor sharp, if a bit small. The scissors seem like a larger version of Wenger's serrated self-sharpening scissors, with one half being a super sharp blade only beveled on one side and the other just serrated, and they have a nice spring action to them. They seem to cut through soft things well, but might dig into your thumb a bit if you try to cut harder things.

The pliers seem much beefier than the Squirt (about 1.5x the size) or the Boker, but not as big or thick as the Spirit. They are not spring-loaded. The nose lines up nicely. The handles open to a comfortable distance in the hand. They feel a bit stiff to open.

As for the tools. The Phillips screwdriver is partially-flattened 3D, so is a step ahead of the Squirt, but not full 3D like the Boker or Spirit, but for what it is, feels pretty sturdy and seems to work well. The flat-head screwdriver is a bit of a letdown, as even the flat-head on the Squirt is bigger and more usable. It seems like they had enough room to do so, but for no discernible reason chose to make it silly small. The tip of the can-opener (which is shaped different than the pictures on AliExpress) can be used in a pinch as an awkwardly-angled larger flathead, though might grate on you if you have to fidget with it to use it as a screwdriver a lot. It seems like if you wanted to grind the can-opener tip flatter it could make a nice flat-head screwdriver. The spring part on the carabiner clip feels a bit thin, and I'm not sure I would want to abuse it too much or it might snap eventually, but the hook on it feels sturdy enough for its intended use as a bottle-opener.

Overall, no regrets for the $25 I spent on this toy. Cool scissors and pliers in an uncommon size that is more Juice-like, G10 handles, good steel, like a larger Style PS that can function as a small knife too. The only thing that bugs me is the flat-head, but I'll either get over it or grind the can opener head down to a more usable flathead one day if I care enough...

All images: https://imgur.com/a/sJ94Io7

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Re: HX OUTDOORS 9-in-1 Multi-pliers
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 09:55:37 PM
That's an interesting and different tool, and a good write-up.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 02:09:04 PM
Thanks for the review  :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 09:45:23 PM
Excellent first post and welcome to the forum! :like:
I like the design and size. The scissors look interesting, I've seen it in an old folding knife from a known brand, like CRKT or something, and now Swiza. Not sure if I'd like them.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 11:49:47 AM
I really like the look of that! I wish more multitools had G10 handles!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 08:05:21 AM
Excellent first post and welcome to the forum! :like:
I like the design and size. The scissors look interesting, I've seen it in an old folding knife from a known brand, like CRKT or something, and now Swiza. Not sure if I'd like them.
They look like thread snips. Great for things like thread, yarn, and the like, but with substantially less mechanical advantage (no hard cutting.) My Mom has a set for quilting and embroidery projects.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 10:34:08 AM
I've got a few thread snippers here and there. They're handy.  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00