Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone on traditional wet shaving?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
on: November 25, 2021, 06:56:16 AM
That's a bit off topic, but not much, since it involves shiny blades, cutthroat razors if you dare.
I wet shave all my life, but I'm not fully traditional, since I use a modern 5 blade razor, the Fusion from Gillette. It's the only one I don't cut myself with.
My favorite soap is Tabac from Germany, but I use also creams and local Marseille type soap.
Favorite After Shave is Floid Mentolado Vigoroso from Spain.
All around best series is Old Spice Original for me. I also like Pino Silvestre from Italy, Brut and Denim.
And I like century old local Eau de Colognes they used in barbershops, Menounos is the trademark.
There are hundreds of accessories out there. I use boar and badger brushes, mostly Omega (Italy) and a big wooden bowl that's a lather factory.
How about you?

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: Anyone on traditional wet shaving?
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 07:50:40 AM
I used to be do it with a Benjamin barber cut throat shevette and a badger brush, don't remember the name of the soap. Now I just do a full beard between 10-15 cm and cut my mustache with vic scissors

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 11:23:04 AM
I'm still working my way through the bulk box of schick xtreme 3 razors I bought a couple years ago.
Soap tends to be whatever is on special, at the moment it is palmolive lather shave.
And I use dad's old bristle brush mixing in the hand.

On special occasions I'll use dad's old gillette slim adjustable with wilkinson blades.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 03:32:26 PM
Hi kkokkolis!

Wet shaver here in Brazil.
Muhle safety razor with Derby blades.
Badger brush.
Creams and soaps from local brands Natura and Granado. I like them very much.

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 05:12:51 PM
I used to wet shave, and hope to do so again someday. My setup was a RazoRock DE safety razor with Lord or Personna blades and an Omega brush (boar's hair first, then synthetic). I'd usually use RazoRock soap and aftershave, with an alum block between them.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 05:22:25 PM
I used to be do it with a Benjamin barber cut throat shevette and a badger brush, don't remember the name of the soap. Now I just do a full beard between 10-15 cm and cut my mustache with vic scissors

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

I love beards and I had one when I was young, but my wife insists on smooth skin.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 05:27:51 PM
I'm still working my way through the bulk box of schick xtreme 3 razors I bought a couple years ago.
Soap tends to be whatever is on special, at the moment it is palmolive lather shave.
And I use dad's old bristle brush mixing in the hand.

On special occasions I'll use dad's old gillette slim adjustable with wilkinson blades.

Classic, as expected.
I also use palmolive, red with coconut oil and green with menthol.

* αρχείο λήψης.jpg (Filesize: 76.27 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 05:29:11 PM
Hi kkokkolis!

Wet shaver here in Brazil.
Muhle safety razor with Derby blades.
Badger brush.
Creams and soaps from local brands Natura and Granado. I like them very much.

(Image removed from quote.)

Great! My son's boss bought a silvertip badger brush from Brasil, are they made locally?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 05:31:39 PM
I used to wet shave, and hope to do so again someday. My setup was a RazoRock DE safety razor with Lord or Personna blades and an Omega brush (boar's hair first, then synthetic). I'd usually use RazoRock soap and aftershave, with an alum block between them.

RazorRock is considered premium here. I tried safety razors and I always cut myself, perhaps I need something premium. The fact is that shavettes appeal more to me, but I'm not a surgeon, I might harm myself with them.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 05:32:00 PM
Cool stuff!
I wet shave also.
My favorite is Mulberry shaving kit from 90’s. Wooden bowl and very nice soap. The soap is pretty impossible to get these days (last one I got my mittens on was in Italy several years ago, either Lucca or Prato I think) so I’m mostly using Truefitt and Hill creams or regular foams.
Badger brushes and safety blades. Normally the wood handled one from the Mulberry set.
Do not use lotions or such.

Aftershave? Don’t get me started, close to 300 different ones :(
Favorites include original Patou Pour Homme, Tauer’s Lonestar Memories, Moonshine, Blenheim Bouquet, Kouros (bottles up to mid-nineties, Roma + Venezia Uomo and Bowmakers to mention a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 05:37:54 PM
Cool stuff!
I wet shave also.
My favorite is Mulberry shaving kit from 90’s. Wooden bowl and very nice soap. The soap is pretty impossible to get these days (last one I got my mittens on was in Italy several years ago, either Lucca or Prato I think) so I’m mostly using Truefitt and Hill creams or regular foams.
Badger brushes and safety blades. Normally the wood handled one from the Mulberry set.
Do not use lotions or such.

Aftershave? Don’t get me started, close to 300 different ones :(
Favorites include original Patou Pour Homme, Tauer’s Lonestar Memories, Moonshine, Blenheim Bouquet, Kouros (bottles up to mid-nineties, Roma + Venezia Uomo and Bowmakers to mention a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we have a Pro here.
Have you ever tried the Floid ASL?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 05:51:58 PM by kkokkolis »

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 06:17:21 PM
Great! My son's boss bought a silvertip badger brush from Brasil, are they made locally?
Some years ago we had a company named "The Grooming & Co." . It made good brushes, but the company is no more.
I listened something about a brand named "Batil" that make brushes locally, but I had no contact with their products yet.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 06:17:48 PM

Have you ever tried the Floid ASL?

Floid? I think it is valued by wet shave enthusiasts  (don't think myself as wet shave enthusiast per se, I just find shaving much more pleasing experience when done the 'wet way' ) so have never tried any.

Quick web search indicates that it is easily available at very good price.
You listed some of the classics such as  Old Spice, Tabac and Brut as your favorites. I'm also quite fond of early releases of these masterpieces, so what do you think: should I blind buy a bottle?

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: November 25, 2021, 06:33:43 PM

Floid? I think it is valued by wet shave enthusiasts  (don't think myself as wet shave enthusiast per se, I just find shaving much more pleasing experience when done the 'wet way' ) so have never tried any.

Quick web search indicates that it is easily available at very good price.
You listed some of the classics such as  Old Spice, Tabac and Brut as your favorites. I'm also quite fond of early releases of these masterpieces, so what do you think: should I blind buy a bottle?

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

It gives you the experience of a nice, old, barbershop.
I wonder what the feeling would be if you use it and then immediately get outside during the Finnish winter though. You see, it gives you that menthol feeling, lots of it.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #14 on: November 25, 2021, 08:11:16 PM
RazorRock is considered premium here. I tried safety razors and I always cut myself, perhaps I need something premium.
RazoRock is premium, eh? They sell very inexpensively in the States and Canada. You can get a razor, brush, soap, aftershave, and dopp bag combo for $40 US! If they don't rake you over the coals with international shipping costs, it may be worthwhile.

https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-5-piece-wet-shaving-set-with-leather-dopp-bag-save-40

When I started wet shaving, I'd frequently carve up my face. I largely stopped doing so after I slowed it down a little and maintained proper blade angle (30 degrees).

I've tried Proraso Green in the past. The cooling effect of the menthol was welcome during hot summers in Fresno, CA...but I detested the smell.

USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 10:56:12 PM
I'm sitting here trying to work out what kind of psychopath shaves dry....

Do you mean with electric?

I don't have much truck with electrical gizmos, so I use a safety razor.
A box of Feather razors and a cake of soap lasts me a year, so it's a problem I can deal with once and put out of my mind.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 11:49:29 PM
When I wet shave (which isn't all the time) I do use a old fashioned safety razor. Butterfly opening Parker and Wilkinson blades.  For all the claims of "closer and smoother" every single multi-blade system I ever tried give me razor burn.  :shrug:  Take my time and I don't often cut myself, though if I am going to then it's normally my Adam's apple that gets it.  ::)

4711 Au du colone (for the original barber shop smell) or some version of Pinaud Clubman. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 12:48:55 AM
I used to try all the fancy 3-4 or 5 blade razors and I just never got a good shave, idk how much I spent on all that stuff, then one year I said screw it, I bought a safety razor and a scuttle, I really liked how the scuttle worked cause what I used to do was plug the sink drain and run nothing but hot water to fill it up and throw the can of shaving gel in and let it sit while I took a shower, so when I got out the gel would be nice and warm, then I could just use the water in the sink to rinse the razor, so using the scuttle was kinda on the same track, when I first used the safety razor I took the first swipe and was like ok, and then another, then another, and I was like this is bs, I don’t even feel it taking anything off, then when I looked closely I said “oh crap, there’s nothing there!” So it took everything off without me even feeling anything, so I set! The only thing is I shave the head too and medical I have to have someone watch me and everyone was getting tired of supervising me and ended up investing in a pitbull electric razor designed for head shaving but it came with a 2nd head for face shaving, and by doing so no one has to watch.. I must say it’s in my bucket list to get an old school “real shave” go to a real barber and have the real thing done, not one with those replaceable blade either! Anyway here’s a pic of some of my stuff which no longer gets used,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 03:40:49 AM
Some time ago my wife gave to me this mug during a memorable trip we made to a traditional city of ceramists on our state.
(We have a common interest in arts, and she is also a ceramist)

It fit very well for me, giving a secure grip.
Ceramic, hand made, burned in a noborigama kiln. I love the shape and color patern.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 10:25:06 AM
Nice shaving mugs. I've never seen one like that kobalt blue Madplumbarian used.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 11:30:17 AM
Some time ago my wife gave to me this mug during a memorable trip we made to a traditional city of ceramists on our state.
(We have a common interest in arts, and she is also a ceramist)

It fit very well for me, giving a secure grip.
Ceramic, hand made, burned in a noborigama kiln. I love the shape and color patern.

(Image removed from quote.)

I love the look of that!  The glaze is stunning. 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 01:37:27 PM
Nice shaving mugs. I've never seen one like that kobalt blue Madplumbarian used.

The unique thing about that one is that it’s hollow, there’s a hole where you would just leave the brush, what you do is get the hottest burning water possible and fill it, let it warm for a min then do it again! The first time getting it warm then the second nice and hot, now the bowl area is scolding hot and ready for some soap, and since your brush is sitting in a filled compartment of hot water you shake it off and whip it around the soap in the bowl to get a good lather, then put the brush back in the little spot and cover the bowl,
Here’s another two I was looking into back in the day, but where the soap goes was so small, they make others but the price can get up there,,
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: November 26, 2021, 02:18:43 PM
The unique thing about that one is that it’s hollow, there’s a hole where you would just leave the brush, what you do is get the hottest burning water possible and fill it, let it warm for a min then do it again! The first time getting it warm then the second nice and hot, now the bowl area is scolding hot and ready for some soap, and since your brush is sitting in a filled compartment of hot water you shake it off and whip it around the soap in the bowl to get a good lather, then put the brush back in the little spot and cover the bowl,
Here’s another two I was looking into back in the day, but where the soap goes was so small, they make others but the price can get up there,,
JR

Cheers mate.  I'd wondered how you were supposed to use those spouts.  :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: November 26, 2021, 02:39:52 PM
Here’s a brief video not the same scuttle but same idea, it just doesn’t have the place for the brush, this one plugs the water,, I just love the heat and the lather they give rather then just a regular mug,
JR
https://youtu.be/kI7ooJbotGc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%