Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Evolution S52

EMZ · 6 · 1018

nl Offline EMZ

Victorinox Evolution S52
on: November 25, 2021, 07:56:19 PM
Today my Vic Evo S52 arrived.
I decided to buy one, because it is such a nice knife, and also because in 2021 production has come to an end.

IMHO this is the best mini-multitool for survival purposes. To make things clear: I'm not a survivalist, bushcrafter, climber or backpacker. My very limited experience with the outdoors came from military service, law enforcement, camping and a little bit of hiking. No hardcore prepper here! And no need for a survival fishing kit or survival saw when I'm walking within half an hour of my hometown.
Nevertheless I like to prepare myself a little bit when going for a hike. Better be safe than sorry.

Normal EDC in the office or at home is a Tinker, Hunter, Soldier or other small tool. For travelling abroad I used to carry a Swiss Champ, but I downgraded to the Handyman.
What is lacking in all these Vic's is a locking mechanism for the blade. It happened to me that while drawing back the blade from a piece of wood, the blade got stuck in it and the blade folded and cut my finger. Normally it doesn't happen, but when cold and tired, you loose some control over your finer muscles.
To me a small pliers is a must. The pliers give just that little more grip or strenght that your own fingers can't deliver, especially when tired or cold. Of course a Spirit will do a much better job, but I need a small knife carried on person for just-in-case.

Before buying one, I watched the Youtube video, titled "Victorinox Evolution S52 likes & dislikes" from ChrisinHove. In this video he mentioned that there is daylight to be seen between the scales and the first layers.
Of course I examined my specimen, and ideed there is daylight to be seen between the one of the scales and the first layer. Acoording to me, this is not the result from flimsy production, but it seems to be constructed that way. As you can see in the picture there are two kinds of studs protruding from one of the layers or springs. I don't know what the purpose of these studs is, nor why they do protrude. The gap between the layer and the scale is big enough to collect extra dirt, but also to get rid of it by cleaning.

Does anyone now what the prupose of the gap, or the studs is??

* PB258544a.jpg (Filesize: 52.94 KB)

* PB258552.jpg (Filesize: 82.09 KB)

* PB258553.jpg (Filesize: 120.55 KB)

us Offline Jackpine54

Re: Victorinox Evolution S52
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 08:51:29 PM
The S52 is an awesome tool. I carried one quite a bit during the recent Delemont challenge. Its my favorite of the Delemont series. 

I like it enough that I bought a second one for a spare :tu:

cz Offline z1913

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 09:13:30 PM
For travelling abroad I used to carry a Swiss Champ, but I downgraded to the Handyman.

Really interesting knife! How does it feel in the hand compared the Handyman? I assume they are of similar width?

Offline ComboTool

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 09:09:28 AM
The studs are the heads of the center pins, the scale attaches to the wider one (together with similar ones at both ends) and the smaller one is just the pivot for the backspring tools. As to whether the gap has a purpose,  :dunno:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 02:59:31 PM
Small comparison between left to right Vic Evo S52, Wenger Security 52 and Vic Handyman:

Weight: 119 / 116 / 156 grams
Width: 27 / 22.1 / 26,8 mm.

* PB268555a.jpg (Filesize: 169.55 KB)

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 03:09:07 PM
The space between the layer and the scale is a not a coincidence. It is ment to be. Why it is, I don't know.
In the picture you can see a round spacer on the constrcution pin between the liner and the tool, making the outer liner bending outwards. Somehow the reamer itself is not thicker as normal, but the base of it probably is. Really hard to what's inside of this knife!

* PB268557a.jpg (Filesize: 115.46 KB)

* PB268565a.jpg (Filesize: 62.96 KB)

* PB268562a.jpg (Filesize: 87.5 KB)

* PB268560a.jpg (Filesize: 58.2 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68