Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Those who want 84mm scissors - which models would you want?

Poll

If Victorinox were to make 84mm scissors, what models should they make?

Cadet X
Cadet II X - w/ small blade, no nail file
Bantam X - modern ‘Voyageur’
Mini Farmer X - either Cadet w/ Saw
Cellidor- Super tinker or Climber
Cellidor- Craftsman/Artisan/Fieldmaster Small
Other - please describe
Doesn’t Matter. I will buy any model with 84mm scissors.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Still doubting Victorinox will ever make 84mm scissors. But telling them what model(s) we would like could help change their position on that.

Perhaps a SE run or two could justify the tooling cost and effort to do it.  :dunno:

Two votes please, the poll will remain open.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Those who want 84mm scissors - which models would you want?
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 04:46:00 AM
Done…

At least re-release the Voyageur (Bantam X)… but then this will affect collector prices? Dunno…

Otherwise, make a new model altogether… Cadet X / Cadet II X…

Actually, any 84mm model with scissors will do… can always mod into a desired one… :cheers:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 05:01:54 AM
I opt for the Cadet II X (=Super Tinker Small). Small Blade is just too good to pass up. Hm, might I like an Alox version of this SAK even better? :think:

I don't have a Yovageur but believe it might be just a tad too slim to feel comfortable when used as a knife. Can anyone confirm or reject this statement?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 05:07:30 AM by Simon_Templar »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 05:14:40 AM
I opt for the Cadet II X (=Super Tinker Small). Small Blade is just too good to pass up. Hm, might I like an Alox version of this SAK even better? :think:

I don't have a Yovageur but believe it might be just a tad too slim to feel comfortable when used as a knife. Can anyone confirm or reject this statement?

As a small blade user, I think the 84mm main blades still aren’t quite small enough for me. My personal bias is to keep the small blade and put the combo on the main blade side. Weird, I know. Even with the single layer alox knives, I still prefer the small blade for most cutting.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 05:21:53 AM
Done…

:tu: :cheers:

At least re-release the Voyageur (Bantam X)… but then this will affect collector prices? Dunno…
As a collector I doubt it would tank the value of the originals. I mean, it should actually drive the value of both. What collector wouldn’t want both versions side by side?

Yeah, the suggestion in the wish thread made me think that. Even sway my opinion about the viability of the 84mm production and risk.

Actually, any 84mm model with scissors will do… can always mod into a desired one… :cheers:

:tu: But I thought that’s just for some of us extra crazies!! Regular crazies just want to buy the new ones.  :D

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 05:57:06 AM
I voted Cadet X and Bantam X, but an 84mm Super Tinker or Climber would be great too.  Or Compact (Golfer).  Ok, ANY 84mm With scissors...
- Steve

au Offline Echotech

Those who want 84mm scissors - which models would you want?
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 06:43:51 AM

:iagree:
Bantam x (rereleased Voyageur) and Cadet x would be superb…so would an 84mm Compact (Golfer)

Not that I’ve picked up a Voyageur Simon, but presumably would feel similar in hand to a cadet which I find good to use

:cheers:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 08:10:44 AM by Echotech »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 06:44:45 AM
I voted Cadet X and Bantam X, but an 84mm Super Tinker or Climber would be great too.  Or Compact (Golfer).  Ok, ANY 84mm With scissors...
Added that as an option. I can’t increase the vote count (I think), but the voting should be changeable by anyone who already voted.

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
  • A little more seriousness would scoobi-do us good.
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 07:17:15 AM
Preferably a Cadet II X with a small blade. Second, a voyageur with a small blade instead of a combo. But it doesn't matter, I would buy any 84mm model with scissors!
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 08:51:25 AM
I’m for the mini alox X models - I’ve really come to appreciate alox in recent years after decades of celidor only carrying!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 10:16:12 AM
Well, you have to have one model with as many tools as possible, so something like the Master Craftsman or a Swiss Champ Small.
You'd need one or two mid-range models like a Huntsman/Mountaineer/Alumnus.
You'd then want one or two minimalist ones like a Compact Small.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 10:40:39 AM
Small Climber.... without a doubt...  :climber:

And a Cadet II X would also be nice...  ;)

But i'll keep saying.. we are all expecting the impossible here.... they will never make any... :dunno:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2021, 02:44:13 PM
Cadets II X, Cadet II X + pliers, Cadet Ranger (Alox Ranger in 84) Cadet Craftsman.
All of the above with an optional serrated main blade.

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 02:47:34 PM
As a small blade user, I think the 84mm main blades still aren’t quite small enough for me. My personal bias is to keep the small blade and put the combo on the main blade side. Weird, I know. Even with the single layer alox knives, I still prefer the small blade for most cutting.

So you're thinking of a two layer SAK with combo tool, small blade and scissors? Interesting, although I reckon if I could only have one blade on the 84mm, I would prefer the main blade to keep my options re food preparation open.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 02:49:16 PM

... make that a Climber Small btw. Also, I was obviously thinking of the Sportsman, not the Cadet. Had a few brain farts when I wrote this I'm afraid... :facepalm:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 02:52:10 PM
84mm Craftsman and Voyageur--mainly because these are my two 84mm with scissors, and I don't carry them nearly as much as I like too because they aren't exactly easy to replace if I lost one--let alone at the sub-$20 prices I paid. My Voyageur is Cellidor, but I'd like an Alox version.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 02:53:14 PM
Well, you have to have one model with as many tools as possible, so something like the Master Craftsman or a Swiss Champ Small.
You'd need one or two mid-range models like a Huntsman/Mountaineer/Alumnus.
You'd then want one or two minimalist ones like a Compact Small.

A Swiss Champ Small to complement the 91mm and 58mm version. Now that would be nice :tu: Maybe leave the fish scaler out so as to keep the proportions?

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 02:59:18 PM

Not that I’ve picked up a Voyageur Simon, but presumably would feel similar in hand to a cadet which I find good to use

I wasn't precise when I asked my question, apologies for this. I was thinking of Celidor vs Alox. I like the thin Celidors just fine but find that the equivalent thin Alox SAKs are just too skinny to be comfortable as a knife. They make a great backup knife to have in a small pocket or even your wallet, but I wouldn't consider them as a main carry option.

So my question should have been: how comfortable is a two layer Alox SAK as a knife?, and my personal answer is (after taking an Alox Cadet out of my drawer): a bit too uncomfortable for my liking.  :facepalm: :facepalm: Sorry for all the confusion.

All in all, I stand by my choice of a Cadet II X given that I would prefer a three layer SAK when it comes to 84mm (Alox) SAKs.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 03:13:01 PM by Simon_Templar »

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 03:23:21 PM
84mm Sportsman with scissors would be my "other". Climber small all very well but the nail file adds tool choice in my book
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 04:38:55 PM
Cadet X would make the Cadet basically perfect for light EDC. I keep a Classic/Rambler on my keychain, but the larger scissors would be a substantial upgrade.

Beyond that, a small Fieldmaster would be nice, since it's my favorite all around.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 29, 2021, 05:38:32 PM
Climber small all very well but the nail file adds tool choice in my book

That's why i carry 58m's for...  :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #21 on: November 29, 2021, 05:53:55 PM
I voted for “Craftsman/Artisan/Fieldmaster” and “Other”, by which I mean I want an 84mm Explorer.

Ideally, every 91mm model should have an 84mm version available. Not that it’s likely to happen, but we can dream.

Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline BPRoberts

Reply #22 on: November 29, 2021, 07:23:22 PM
Important semi-related questions:

If we get widespread 84mm scissors, does that mean we get hooks too? If so, can we get the Compact file/hook? It's not a great file, but a lot of people (myself included) really want a file on the 84s, and it'd give us at least a consolation prize while letting the small blade people keep their preference as well.

I'd also really like to see 84mm plus scales become a thing. At the very least, I want the standard pin slot like the 91s. A big reason I don't like/carry the current 84/85mm lines is that you're down tools from any equivalent 91mm knife.

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #23 on: November 29, 2021, 07:59:03 PM
I think an Alox Cadet X would be a hot seller for Vic.

Personally I’d love to see what is basically an 84mm Golfer with Phillips instead of corkscrew. I love scissors, combo tool, and less layers.

Speaking of which, did Vic every make a 91mm Compact, but with Phillips instead of corkscrew?

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 29, 2021, 09:31:27 PM
At the very least, I want the standard pin slot like the 91s.

What do you mean? All the 84mm cellidor models with CS or Phillips in  the back have had the pin slot on the scales for well over a decade (maybe closer to two)...   :dunno:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #25 on: November 29, 2021, 10:51:00 PM
What do you mean? All the 84mm cellidor models with CS or Phillips in  the back have had the pin slot on the scales for well over a decade (maybe closer to two)...   :dunno:
Perhaps he meant the pen slot, since he mentioned the plus scales.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 29, 2021, 11:49:08 PM
Excellent discussion fellow knights!  :salute:

So you're thinking of a two layer SAK with combo tool, small blade and scissors?
Yes, I’ve done this due to the preference for the handing of the small blade where it normally sits. Combo on the other side makes for a slightly more effective pry bar with higher backspring compression there.

Interesting, although I reckon if I could only have one blade on the 84mm, I would prefer the main blade to keep my options re food preparation open.

Understood. That’s the case for most people, but I only prefer a longer blade for camping, bbq, and picnics. Most days and urban carried, the small blade serves me better.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2021, 11:54:41 PM
84mm Craftsman and Voyageur--mainly because these are my two 84mm with scissors, and I don't carry them nearly as much as I like too because they aren't exactly easy to replace if I lost one--let alone at the sub-$20 prices I paid. My Voyageur is Cellidor, but I'd like an Alox version.

:tu: Close to my personal reasons. Would be nice to have more access to such goodness for everyone.

I’m restoring a Voyageur, but it won’t get the use tgat a modern one would. And I have Craftsman knives…but I’d love for this iconic design to return to the 84mm size.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 30, 2021, 12:00:37 AM
But i'll keep saying.. we are all expecting the impossible here.... they will never make any... :dunno:

I used to be solidly in that camp. But considering last year’s PX Winter Magic, I think Victorinox might be more open to it than I was thinking. An LE with reasonably low production could justify the cost. Or so I’m hoping.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 30, 2021, 12:08:21 AM
Important semi-related questions:

If we get widespread 84mm scissors, does that mean we get hooks too? If so, can we get the Compact file/hook? It's not a great file, but a lot of people (myself included) really want a file on the 84s, and it'd give us at least a consolation prize while letting the small blade people keep their preference as well.

Great question. From my mod experience, the hook can fit an 84mm scissor design. I doubt they’ll put it in an Alox version. But they could since it doesn’t require the 4th pin because of the fixed end backspring design. I hear you on the file. I wish they would just standardize it.

I'd also really like to see 84mm plus scales become a thing. At the very least, I want the standard pin slot like the 91s. A big reason I don't like/carry the current 84/85mm lines is that you're down tools from any equivalent 91mm knife.

I’d like that too, but not 100% sure on the pen being able to fit as is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.53
Net Balance: $23.47
Below Goal: $276.53
Site Currency: USD
 8%