Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Those who want 84mm scissors - which models would you want?

Poll

If Victorinox were to make 84mm scissors, what models should they make?

Cadet X
Cadet II X - w/ small blade, no nail file
Bantam X - modern ‘Voyageur’
Mini Farmer X - either Cadet w/ Saw
Cellidor- Super tinker or Climber
Cellidor- Craftsman/Artisan/Fieldmaster Small
Other - please describe
Doesn’t Matter. I will buy any model with 84mm scissors.

jp Offline proletenstahl

Re: Those who want 84mm scissors - which models would you want?
Reply #90 on: December 09, 2021, 10:52:37 AM
I think Cadets and Waiters and Walkers sell pretty handily and add to their bottom line. According to the Poll, some new/re-released models should be able to do the same. Cadet X seems like a no-brainer to me now…LE or regular production. And if Victorinox could justify the tooling cost by selling an LE version first, they should be able to essentially get us crazies to fund the whole thing.

I don't have any market research data in front of me, but there are lots of places in the world that restrict blade length. People who don't know Victorinox quality often underestimate the Classic but might well go for an 84 mm which feels more like a "real" knife while not running afoul of weapons laws.

That being said, lots of companies focus entirely on quarterly earnings and ignore things that will break even or make a little money longterm.

:dunno:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: December 09, 2021, 04:47:33 PM
I don't have any market research data in front of me, but there are lots of places in the world that restrict blade length. People who don't know Victorinox quality often underestimate the Classic but might well go for an 84 mm which feels more like a "real" knife while not running afoul of weapons laws.

That being said, lots of companies focus entirely on quarterly earnings and ignore things that will break even or make a little money longterm.

:dunno:

All great points IMO, but Victorinox has said in the past that they continue to make low production items which their customers need and use. Paraphrasing, but that’s what I’m hoping they can see regarding the 84mm scissors. I understand that might be how they felt decades ago, and post 9/11 and TSA issues perhaps forced them away from the more service oriented nature of their business.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: December 11, 2021, 12:24:49 AM
1/2 Cadet X

Not gonna keep this one this way, but I don’t think anyone has suggested the Compact with the Cadet type nail file?  If I were to keep this, I’d rather the Combo Tool and the hook with the file to have more features and utility.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 01:55:34 AM by kamakiri »
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline Altis

Reply #93 on: December 11, 2021, 09:53:25 AM
Cadet X and Bantam X (ie. an 84mm Compact that's actually, err, compact) would be insta-buys from me.

The Cadet X would especially make one of the best models to gift to first-time SAK owners. It has one of the best kits for the size and durability of any SAK. Main blade, scissors, nail file, and opening layer.  :dd:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: December 11, 2021, 05:55:08 PM
Cadet X and Bantam X (ie. an 84mm Compact that's actually, err, compact) would be insta-buys from me.

The Cadet X would especially make one of the best models to gift to first-time SAK owners. It has one of the best kits for the size and durability of any SAK. Main blade, scissors, nail file, and opening layer.  :dd:

:tu: Thanks for your votes and chiming in.

I completely see your point about the X making fe Cadet a much better gift. I’d personally have a hard time gifting a knife without (Victorinox) scissors!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: December 15, 2021, 10:18:45 PM
Cadet X

Still in final test fitting for this pair of scissors and some other spacers and stuff I like to customize, but happy with it so far. Liners are beefed up over the OEM thickness, because I prefer a bit more heft like in some of the vintage cellidor 84mm with nickel silver liners…also to have the ‘proper’ profile for scissors and openers…something which I have yet to see any other modder do. Vintage profile for the knife layer liner…because better looking.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: December 15, 2021, 11:49:40 PM
Well that looks pretty magnificent! :hatsoff:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: December 16, 2021, 12:06:05 AM
Well that looks pretty magnificent! :hatsoff:

:cheers: Thanks Rizio!

As happy as I am to put this together, I really wish Victorinox would do it!

And while I’m making wishes, I’d also ask for a limited PS version. Look at how quickly the Onyx knives sold out…

00 Offline Dr. Boombatz

Reply #98 on: December 16, 2021, 12:52:17 AM
I just received a Sportsman today and was thinking how great it would be if they made a 2 layer SAK in the 84mm with scissors.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: December 16, 2021, 02:39:11 AM
 :tu:
I just received a Sportsman today and was thinking how great it would be if they made a 2 layer SAK in the 84mm with scissors.

:tu: Welcome down the slippery slope, Dr. B!  :D

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: January 13, 2022, 07:36:30 PM
I see a few votes trickled in since.

Maybe since the 74mm discontinuation turned out to be fake news despite claims that ‘confirmed’ the rumour…seems more possible that Victorinox could rework them and the needed backspring for incorporation into 84mm frames.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #101 on: January 13, 2022, 10:20:06 PM
I don't have a Yovageur but believe it might be just a tad too slim to feel comfortable when used as a knife. Can anyone confirm or reject this statement?

I have a Voyageur and find it too slim for my taste. It put me off buying a Cadet, which is only slightly thicker.

For me, a scissor layer would improve the Cadets handling as well as its utility. I think I’ve seen it done with Wenger/Delemont scissors.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: January 28, 2022, 06:50:44 PM
Thanks to those who added votes.  :tu:

Submitted the idea for 74mm scissors and a 0/1 Phillips the same way they do the 111mm scissor/Phillips layer. I hope they do it!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: March 07, 2022, 11:50:20 PM
Bump.

Well, hearing that 74mm frames are being cancelled does make me less hopeful about 74mm scissors being adopted for the task.

I think I’m just concerned now about 84mm in general suffering the same fate.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #104 on: March 08, 2022, 06:05:47 AM
I'm glad I snagged an Ambassador last week before they disappear for good.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: March 08, 2022, 07:07:20 AM
I'm glad I snagged an Ambassador last week before they disappear for good.

Good move. I’m wondering how soon this is going to impact the second hand market for those and Money Clips. Cheapest sources for me to do the 74mm scissors into the 84mm frame.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.53
Net Balance: $23.47
Below Goal: $276.53
Site Currency: USD
 8%