Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Harbor Freight "Icon" VS Lowes "Craftsman"

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Harbor Freight "Icon" VS Lowes "Craftsman"
on: January 28, 2024, 02:46:01 PM
I don't like to buy Chinese tools, but sometimes you need something quick, cheap and available now.

I had a bad experience getting a Craftsman ratchet replaced at a Lowes once, they did it, but they wanted to argue about it. Not like the old days when Sears would just hand you a new tool with no questions asked.

I'm hearing good things about the warranty on Harbor Freight Icon tools.

Anybody have any experience yet?

Offline arc_shep

Re: Harbor Freight "Icon" VS Lowes "Craftsman"
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 01:50:46 AM
Icon stuff is good value, most made in Taiwan and some USA rebrands. Prices have creeped up so you need a sale for good prices.

The craftsman Taiwan stuff is good, stay away from anything China.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 02:05:07 AM
I always liked Lowe’s kobalt tools, but if in the ratchet department I’ve had the same 1/2” socket set with breaker bar and I got them from Home Depot, a husky set, but if I had to chose between harbor freight and Lowe’s I’d go with Lowe’s,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline AzteCypher

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 07:07:30 AM
I stick with Husky, Craftsman, or Kobalt most of the time but the few Icon tools I've used have taken the beating I've given them.  I'll consider them more readily if it's a tool I know I won't use often.
May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

Click here for cool free stuff from the Surpise Box GAW!

🏆 🚂 Train Fixer Award
-for most trains repaired using classic

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 02:12:40 PM
if I had to chose between harbor freight and Lowe’s I’d go with Lowe’s,

The reason I brought it up is my local Lowes gave me a hard time warranty-ing a ratchet. They DID it, but wanted to argue about it.

I'm told Harbor Freight doesn't ask questions, just hands you a new one like the old days with Sears.

I don't know, myself, if this is true.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 05:16:53 PM

The reason I brought it up is my local Lowes gave me a hard time warranty-ing a ratchet. They DID it, but wanted to argue about it.

I'm told Harbor Freight doesn't ask questions, just hands you a new one like the old days with Sears.

I don't know, myself, if this is true.
Sorry, someone must have had a bad day, I used to work for Lowe’s back in the day, yeah they had a few rules on returns but mostly on time, if it was unused and like only been like 30days, or if broke and still in the time zone, most returns after that it had to be mailed in, I mean I was in plumbing and someone bought pipe warmers, the wires you strap to your pipes to prevent them from freezing, this guy complained that they didn’t warm up, and that this is his 2nd purchase, so they called me up to help, the guy plugged it in and says “see it doesn’t get warm” so I looked at him :think: then walked right out the front door, he was like  :dunno: “what the heck”? So then I walked back in and grabbed the wire and within 20sec the wire started heating up, the guy looked at me and said “omg, how did you get that to work”? I then opened my hand showing him the clump of snow and said “they have a sensor on them only turning it on if the temp goes below like 40°! Thus saving you on your electric bill and not running 24/7, at first he had such a mean attitude, but after I showed him that he was like  :doh: OMG am I stupid!
As far as harbor freight I’ve never had to return anything so idk?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 11:09:47 PM
I bought an Icon 1/4 flex head ratchet screwdriver set it is nice. It wasn't cheap, it cost me 30.00 well worth it. The tools coming out of  Taiwan are very good. Go to Amazon and pick out a cheap tool made in Taiwan and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 02:16:42 PM
Sorry, someone must have had a bad day, I used to work for Lowe’s back in the day, yeah they had a few rules on returns but mostly on time, if it was unused and like only been like 30days, or if broke and still in the time zone, most returns after that it had to be mailed in,

I never noticed a sign saying you had to mail in returns. I just thought they handled it like Sears did, and they'd hand you a new one.

If that's the case, the Harbor Freight Icon stuff is going to be very popular.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 11:29:30 PM
Harbor Freight tool quality has gone up considerably as of late. The only time I had to replace something Husky at Home Depot, they didn't give me any hassle and told me to go grab another one off the shelf. All my Kobalt tools have been pretty good to me.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 06:42:50 AM
I haven't had to replace any hand tools from anywhere.  I did have an issue with a Harbor Freight rotary tool and was told to grab another one off the shelf.  I did have the receipt for that one so I'm not sure how returns/replacements of something like wrenches would go
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD