Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening the combo-tool

be Offline bismouth

Sharpening the combo-tool
on: December 03, 2021, 01:19:32 PM
Hello,

I'm really an huge fan of my mod (victorinox cyber compact) but I'm missing a small blade for opening packages...

Is there a way to sharpen the inside of the combo tool (like the old bottle opener on soldier 63) ? And keep the bottle opening function.

Any advice on how to do it properly?

Thanks a lot

(pics below)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Sharpening the combo-tool
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 01:47:25 PM
I am sure you could use a tapered diamond sharpening rod and put an edge on it :tu: but at what spot or angle would be left up to you as I have never sharpened one of those for that purpose :dunno: I have sharpened the end of the LM style can opener to make it a package opener but it is a different style opener :shrug:

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 03:31:05 PM
Felix Immler has a vid where he sharpens the inside of the can opener to make a hook blade. He uses a steeper angle than that on the Soldier 63 above (maybe 70º?), but the techniques should be similar. Just try not to take too much material off, or it might snap when you next go to open a can!  :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhVDMvByjyA&list=PLz0r9DyPuu9ckYp1NBnqXznZKkYxBKhI9&index=21

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 03:31:21 PM
I’d use a large diameter wheel like done it diamond or disc cutting tool and work to an angle like you’d use on scissors.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 07:03:17 PM
Did this in 10 mins starting with Dremel cutoff (the bigger one) to remove the bulk material. Smoothed out with a diamond round (not taper or you’ll make ‘scallops’) finished on Spyderco coarse. Angle is approx. 60° and ‘matches’ the Spyderco 30° when held flat/horizontally.

Hope that helps.  :)
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

be Offline bismouth

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 09:03:06 PM
Wow, thanks a lot for the responses!

I'm not equipped with a dremel... It's going to be on my christmas gift list :D

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 07:37:15 AM

:cheers:  :tu:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 08:45:26 AM

You don't need a dremel to do it, Vic steel is soft enough that a hand file will get through it quickly. A similar style mod I did with a small file (shown) to put a basic edge on the can opener of my Picknicker:

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 04:24:30 PM
You don't need a dremel to do it, Vic steel is soft enough that a hand file will get through it quickly. A similar style mod I did with a small file (shown) to put a basic edge on the can opener of my Picknicker:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

If you actually do the mod in question with a thicker tool like Combo or Caplifter. The area you cut on the Can Opener is thin. I’d use a file or even just sharpeners to do that.

I’d honestly like to see if somebody could do it in a reasonable time, make it look good/decent and report it here.  :dunno:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 05:28:06 PM
If you actually do the mod in question with a thicker tool like Combo or Caplifter. The area you cut on the Can Opener is thin. I’d use a file or even just sharpeners to do that.

I’d honestly like to see if somebody could do it in a reasonable time, make it look good/decent and report it here.  :dunno:

A combo tool is substantially thinner than a caplifter, and not much thicker than the can opener. Keeping it at a consistent angle for appearance might be tricky at first, but there are various tricks to help with that.

Vic steel is no where near hard enough to make this difficult or especially time consuming, and whilst it'd take longer than a dremel, it'd be faster and cheaper than waiting to get a dremel for Christmas.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 06:42:34 PM
Plus, as many a craftsman will tell you, powered tools only mean you'll stuff it up faster!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 07:46:46 PM
Good counter points.  :tu:  I’ve been working with such power tools for decades and value my time allotted for modding. But lots of ways to skin the cat.

I think I’d estimate over an hour to do it myself in the Combo with files.  :dunno: Wouldn’t even try on a Caplifter.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.53
Net Balance: $23.47
Below Goal: $276.53
Site Currency: USD
 8%