Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Philips from the mini tool set

cz Offline z1913

Philips from the mini tool set
on: December 07, 2021, 07:29:07 PM
Those of you who owns the mini tool set - is it possible to use the philips screwdriver (the size is described  as 000) on the philips typically used on battery compartments, children toys etc? Or is it too tiny? Thanks for any hands on experience!

* SAK_A-3643-4P000_S2.jpg (Filesize: 11.27 KB)

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Re: Philips from the mini tool set
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 08:53:03 PM
Frankly, no. You can poke stuff and show it off in the corkscrew of a SAK with green scales (that's what I do), but as a screwdriver it's really quite useless

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 09:07:08 PM
If it's really a PH-000, then most likely not.
Kids' toy battery compartments and the like are usually secured with screws sized for adult hands, so more the PH-0 size or larger.

I use PH-00 fairly often on electronic stuff, though less often the PH-000. The later is very small and most typically found in mobile phones, as well as watch mechanisms and jewellery.

cz Offline z1913

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 09:10:08 PM
Thanks!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 09:47:57 PM
My guess is the classic flat head mini SD will work better for those screws than this mini phillips. I toke off the back panels on my laptops for ram, HD, wifi, with the micro flat SD
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 11:18:56 PM
I’ve got a couple of these sets, mainly for the colours to be honest…. Well I’ve compared the mini crosshead it to my Wera and Wiha mini screwdriver bits and I think it’s more like a PH 000 than a PH 00. I’ve used it for tightening the rare cross head screws on spectacles with success, but I suspect it might be a bit on the small side for the screws you have in mind.  Is it essential? Well, no, but then neither is having Wiha and Wera bits/screwdrivers that double up, but this MTO after all! When it comes to other screws, I use VOH flats on watches and JIS mini screwdrivers on Japanese cameras, though the Wera set was originally bought to look after German/European cameras (Rollei, Leica, Linhof)….. But buying tools isn’t really spending, is it?!?! :facepalm:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 03:15:56 AM
These, along with the super-tiny Torx are only useful in cellphone and tablet repair. And in my opinion, if you're gonna do that, you've gotta have the right tools.

cz Offline z1913

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 06:23:50 AM
Thank you all for the valuable input!

The reason I asked is that during contemplating (overthinking...) about my ususal set up (Rambler + Waiter) with the neverending quest of my minimalist mind to further simplify  (but as Rizio rightfully stated above - it is MTO afterall!), I came to the idea that if I downgrade the Rambler to Alox Classic, I would reduce the redundancy of T+T and botttle opener covered by Waiter and get the super slimness and lighteness of alox classic for my keys but I would loose the very handy small philips on Rambler - which capability I would like to keep and the idea with mini philips added to Waiter came up as a solution.
But my doubts about the practicality of the 000 philips are confirmed by your hands-on experience...

So now I am thinking of replacing the micro driver on the mini tool with larger philips - similar to the one on Rambler. Maybe cut the the mini tool, extract the existing one, replace with something larger and epoxy everything together again? 

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 12:08:06 AM
I did a quick test. My cats' laser pointer has its battery cover held on with a #0 Phillips. The screwdriver tip on a Classic SD struggled a bit due to tight confines, but I was able to turn the screw. Further testing would doubtless be needed, but the Classic SD seems to do just fine on a #0 Phillips.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%