Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I have transitioned... 1361

Full Member Posts: 214 Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
I have transitioned...
« on: December 06, 2021, 12:51:17 PM »
I began as just another Swiss Army Knife user...
I'd had various cheap knock-offs bought for me as a kid and they'd all failed, so when I became an adult with needs, wants and a measure of disposable income, I treated myself to a proper Victorinox™.
Later on I had more needs and more wants, so I treated myself again... and again... and again... Finally I got myself a little MiniChamp because it was cute and I thought it'd be awesome to miniaturise my EDC, but it was a bit of a frivolous venture and now it just lives on my desk until I can build a nice display for it.

Most recently though, I bought another SAK... not because I needed one or any other good reason, but purely because it's one that MacGyver used!
So at this point I feel I have transitioned from just a user to now being an actual collector... and I've already kissed goodbye to any notions of saving up for a mortgage  :rofl:

Was there a similar transition for anyone else?

And for those that were wondering:

VicExecutive.jpg
* VicExecutive.jpg (Filesize: 175.3 KB)
175.3 KB | 1024x756
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,178 Bon Journee!!
Re: I have transitioned...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 02:00:06 PM »
About a year ago I transitioned from loading up with tools for every imaginable possibility to a 58mm with a Craftsman keychain screwdriver.  The 58 varies between a Classic and a Mini Champ, but that's about all that rides with me anymore.  I feel another transition coming with the Executive, although it would be a lot easier for me to do so if they were still in production.  Still, this might just be it! 

Barry
Sr. Member Posts: 355
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 04:23:52 PM »
I'd had various cheap knock-offs bought for me as a kid and they'd all failed, so when I became an adult with needs, wants and a measure of disposable income, I treated myself to a proper Victorinox™.
Later on I had more needs and more wants, so I treated myself again... and again... and again... Finally I got myself a little MiniChamp because it was cute and I thought it'd be awesome to miniaturise my EDC, but it was a bit of a frivolous venture and now it just lives on my desk until I can build a nice display for it.

Most recently though, I bought another SAK... not because I needed one or any other good reason, but purely because it's one that MacGyver used!
So at this point I feel I have transitioned from just a user to now being an actual collector... and I've already kissed goodbye to any notions of saving up for a mortgage  :rofl:

Was there a similar transition for anyone else?

And for those that were wondering:

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

The executive is a keeper on my key ring small enough to be inconspicuous and non threatening but able to do quite a lot, apart from the red I have the white, black and engine turned steel version the Director, which stays in the box.
To say I am a exec fan may be considered an understatement!

"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 26,439
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 04:25:30 PM »
I feel I'm still in transition sometimes  ;)

Esse Quam Videri
Jr. Member Posts: 58
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 05:15:12 PM »
I guess I fell into that trap too. I got hooked on Alox. We're all lobbying for more or other tools.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

No Life Club Posts: 1,166
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 06:15:45 PM »
In 2019 I suddenly experienced my very own "Rosebud" moment and spontaneously mutated from a hitherto normal SAK user (for decades I had never owned more than three SAKs at a time) into an obsessive, Gollum kind of person. :facepalm:

I wouldn't call myself a collector given that I am too stingy to spring for vintage models (their prices are crazy on the European bay, which I find weird given that they are nothing but mass produced tools), but I have amassed plenty of models from the existing catalogue in the last two and a half years. Also, I got duplicates of my favorite models and am always on the lookout for current, reasonably priced LEs.

The good news is that now that I have all the 91 mm models (except for the SC XXL (I am quite confident I will skip this one (for now))), I have grown calmer. If I can find an interesting model at a reasonable price, I will go for it. But otherwise I am quite happy with my existing stock.
No Life Club Posts: 1,587
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 06:59:12 PM »
About a year ago I transitioned from loading up with tools for every imaginable possibility to a 58mm with a Craftsman keychain screwdriver.  The 58 varies between a Classic and a Mini Champ, but that's about all that rides with me anymore.  I feel another transition coming with the Executive, although it would be a lot easier for me to do so if they were still in production.  Still, this might just be it!

Barry, don't forget the P-38! Theres still a lot of cans that don't have pull tabs yet.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.
Hero Member Posts: 753
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 07:16:48 PM »

I could say the same thing, but then you might mistake this for a SAKs Anonymous meeting.  ;)  I started the same as you did, then went through a couple of adult phases of buying/using SAKs.  I had been in remission for a long time when this one started, and it's been the mother of all binges.  There is no sign that it will end soon, if ever.  I've got a ton of them.  A few are collectible in the general sense, but most aren't.  I like industrial advertising and non-Vic/Wenger brands such as Adler.  Then there are the MTs...  :facepalm:  I've given in to the sickness.  In the great scheme of things, it's cheaper than collecting cars, motorcycles, or guns, and doesn't take up as much room.

The best men carry pocket knives, and then he gave me one.
No Life Club Posts: 2,863
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 08:26:52 PM »
Too many transitions!

15 years one knife. (Champion)

Next 15…two knives (Champion and CT34)

Last 5…slippery slope taken.

First with whoreding (yes, that wasn’t a typo) Marlboro Troubleshooters because they had all the tools I regularly used on two knives, on just one.

Then collecting Marlboros, and just about anything I thought was cool or collectible.

Shortly after, the modding bug hit. Purchases were largely for fodder.

Chronology and the insanity that followed stemmed from being able to buy the knives for the exact parts I needed or wanted for a mod or restoration.

Inlays. Say no more.

Currently, I am willing to tear apart brand new knives to get to the parts I’d like for mods. I suppose that’s the latest transition.

Missing a few steps in there, but  :dunno:

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,981
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 09:00:53 PM »

Nice Executive Tasky! :like: :tu: :tu:

It will be a great EDC! :cheers:
Full Member Posts: 114
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 09:32:21 PM »
I have transitioned from long time one SAK at a time user about a year ago when I discovered MTO.

It really sparked interest and in short time I got about 12 of them but subsequently I sold the ones I did not use much and downgraded to current collection of 7. But all of them really bring joy.

I guess I do not have the collector's gene.... But understand the fever good SAK can cause!

Current SAKs:
58mm - Rambler, Alox Minichamp, SwissLite
84mm - Waiter, Alox Bantam
91mm - Cybertool M, Swisschamp
111mm - Forester Wood, Tradesman
other - Baker's, Floral
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 09:56:55 PM »
Right you are sir!  I only forgot it here.  It's on my keychain too :tu:
Barry, don't forget the P-38! Theres still a lot of cans that don't have pull tabs yet.

Barry
Hero Member Posts: 862
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 03:07:32 AM »
One might say I've transitioned, too. I spent 12+ years with a Super Tinker as my sole carrier. When I noticed its scissors weren't cutting like they used to, I decided it was time for a new SAK. The new SAK turned out to be so cool I wanted to get another and preserve it. Next thing I know, I'm participating in the 30 SAKs in 30 Days challenge, and I can (almost) show a different model for each of the 30 days.

Current SAKs: too many to list in a mere 512 characters.
No Life Club Posts: 1,703
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 03:31:23 AM »
One might say I've transitioned, too. I spent 12+ years with a Super Tinker as my sole carrier. When I noticed its scissors weren't cutting like they used to, I decided it was time for a new SAK. The new SAK turned out to be so cool I wanted to get another and preserve it. Next thing I know, I'm participating in the 30 SAKs in 30 Days challenge, and I can (almost) show a different model for each of the 30 days.

That is how I have started out (Super Tinker)  :whistle:
Hero Member Posts: 676
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 04:03:57 AM »
Usually if I find something that works, something that's perfect for my needs, it's certain to be discontinued. It's happened more times than I can count, aggravating. That is what started me buying multiples  and models I might want someday. I figured they probably will never be any cheaper than they are today and who knows when I will need another one, but I'm sure it'll happen. At this point I really don't honestly think I'll need a 19th pioneer.........but that doesn't stop me from checking ebay for them  :facepalm:
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 04:45:21 AM »

My own transition took a lot longer than yours. Maybe over several years, I slowly downsized my SAK's, guns, knives in general. Once I went back to carrying a keychain one piece screw driver and my old army P-38 in my wallet, I didn't carry a SAK with opener layers anymore. I went down to a classic and there I was until Nix gifted me an executive. The executive was my infatuation for two years, but slowly I drifted back to the classic. I just nv er bonded with that orange peeler, and I like the SD tipped nail file on the 58mm. Better for medium Phillips screws than the executive.

I can't recall the last time I carried a 84 or 91mm SAK. many years now. If I carry another knife, its a dedicated cutter, like the Victorinox florist knife or my Christy knife.

Even the Sear's 4 way keychain screw driver has been transitioning to a Victorinox quatro for the better shaped Phillips bits.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 08:47:47 AM »
My own transition took a lot longer than yours. Maybe over several years, I slowly downsized my SAK's, guns, knives in general. Once I went back to carrying a keychain one piece screw driver and my old army P-38 in my wallet, I didn't carry a SAK with opener layers anymore. I went down to a classic and there I was until Nix gifted me an executive. The executive was my infatuation for two years, but slowly I drifted back to the classic. I just nv er bonded with that orange peeler, and I like the SD tipped nail file on the 58mm. Better for medium Phillips screws than the executive.

I can't recall the last time I carried a 84 or 91mm SAK. many years now. If I carry another knife, its a dedicated cutter, like the Victorinox florist knife or my Christy knife.

Even the Sear's 4 way keychain screw driver has been transitioning to a Victorinox quatro for the better shaped Phillips bits.

Very interesting! I Imagine I might end up like you eventually. Before the SAK bug hit me, I had happily lived for years with nothing but a 58 mm on my keychain (first the Minichamp (too big), then the Rambler (brilliant toolset for its size) and finally the Manager (Rambler plus pen)), and I cannot think of any situation where I would have needed more than that without being close to the appropriate tool.

If you liked the Executive so much, how come you never went for the Ambassador? It's essentially a 74mm Classic. Still small enough to disappear in the pocket, but it might save you the trouble of carrying a dedicated cutter every once in a while.
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2021, 08:39:08 PM »
Very interesting! I Imagine I might end up like you eventually. Before the SAK bug hit me, I had happily lived for years with nothing but a 58 mm on my keychain (first the Minichamp (too big), then the Rambler (brilliant toolset for its size) and finally the Manager (Rambler plus pen)), and I cannot think of any situation where I would have needed more than that without being close to the appropriate tool.

If you liked the Executive so much, how come you never went for the Ambassador? It's essentially a 74mm Classic. Still small enough to disappear in the pocket, but it might save you the trouble of carrying a dedicated cutter every once in a while.

Unfortunately, the ambassador has the same defect as the executive. Its just a tad bigger and heavier, but not enough in many instances to make a real difference. If the 58mm is too small, the 74mm is still enough to just barely make a difference. I found with the executive, that is was still just a wee bit too small for things that the classic wasn't up to handling. So a dedicated cutter like the florist knife, or excelsior, or bantam, was needed. I found that a well matched duo was more versatile and able to handle more stuff than one jack of all trades and master of none. And the dedicated cutters like a Christy knife was way easier to clean up after some messy BBQ or other food matter than a small lobster pattern like the 58's and 74's. An alox bantam can be washed out with soap and hot water or even put though the dishwasher if need be. And the open design of the Christy knife is very easy to rinse out with a bottle of water, a drinking fountain, or even a creek. It can also be taken apart wit the aid of a small screw driver to detail clean the inside mechanism. Two screw and its all apart or back together. I've had a life long love affair with the little Christy knife after my dad gave me one when I was a kid. I fond the 58mm SAK and my Christy knife makes a great EDC duo.

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2021, 08:49:29 PM »
Usually if I find something that works, something that's perfect for my needs, it's certain to be discontinued. It's happened more times than I can count, aggravating. That is what started me buying multiples  and models I might want someday. I figured they probably will never be any cheaper than they are today and who knows when I will need another one, but I'm sure it'll happen. At this point I really don't honestly think I'll need a 19th pioneer.........but that doesn't stop me from checking ebay for them  :facepalm:

I can sooo relate to this! And I bet just like me you haven't broken a single SAK in your life. But well, it could happen, and then the SAK might be discontinued (forgetting about Vic's lifelong guarantee), so better have a spare - or five...
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2021, 09:05:23 PM »
Unfortunately, the ambassador has the same defect as the executive. Its just a tad bigger and heavier, but not enough in many instances to make a real difference. If the 58mm is too small, the 74mm is still enough to just barely make a difference. I found with the executive, that is was still just a wee bit too small for things that the classic wasn't up to handling. So a dedicated cutter like the florist knife, or excelsior, or bantam, was needed. I found that a well matched duo was more versatile and able to handle more stuff than one jack of all trades and master of none. And the dedicated cutters like a Christy knife was way easier to clean up after some messy BBQ or other food matter than a small lobster pattern like the 58's and 74's. An alox bantam can be washed out with soap and hot water or even put though the dishwasher if need be. And the open design of the Christy knife is very easy to rinse out with a bottle of water, a drinking fountain, or even a creek. It can also be taken apart wit the aid of a small screw driver to detail clean the inside mechanism. Two screw and its all apart or back together. I've had a life long love affair with the little Christy knife after my dad gave me one when I was a kid. I fond the 58mm SAK and my Christy knife makes a great EDC duo.

I know what you mean. Discounting the problem of the missing cap lifter, I start to suspect the 74 mm frame might just be a tad too small for its own good. In particular, there's no getting around the fact the Executive's large blade is very slim. I have a nagging feeling that at the end of this month's challenge, I will have grown fond of the Executive (heck, I like it already) but will put it back into the drawer nevertheless on account of all its little quirks.
Jr. Member Posts: 58
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2021, 09:31:38 PM »
Billy Bringdown here.
I am 72. I am in the process of dieing. I have a box full of SAKS among other style knives. If a Farmer style alox that had the tool set of blade, scissors, saw and screw driver came out, I would buy it. I'm an addict.

The problem is, I am trying to clear up my mess, as will we all.  What do I do with my box of knives that no family member wants, and I don't want to bother shipping? I'm also lazy while dieing.

Was Bhudda right? Desire is the base of all pain?

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 26,439
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2021, 10:43:38 PM »
Sorry to hear Gingerman.  What to do with your box of knives?  Well if you are not wanting to ship or sell something along those lines how about give away to the mail person, delivery person, neighbors, visitors if you have them, any random person you might encounter? 

I do hope you are in comfort and will be thru your process. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2021, 11:03:49 PM »
 :iagree: That's a great idea.  It's amazing how many people need a knife and just don't realize that they do.  I wish you peace and comfort Gingerman.  I'm really sorry to hear that.

Barry
No Life Club Posts: 2,863
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2021, 11:23:13 PM »
And that’s the final transition we all eventually face.

Sorry it’s upon you now gingerman.

I’ve left instructions for the most valuable and try to label anything worth selling.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2021, 11:43:39 PM »
I know what you mean. Discounting the problem of the missing cap lifter, I start to suspect the 74 mm frame might just be a tad too small for its own good. In particular, there's no getting around the fact the Executive's large blade is very slim. I have a nagging feeling that at the end of this month's challenge, I will have grown fond of the Executive (heck, I like it already) but will put it back into the drawer nevertheless on account of all its little quirks.

I wish I could fathom what Victorinox is thinking, as I think the executive cold be made much, MUCH more appealing to a wider consumer base with a few mods. One, get rid of the orange peeler and replace it with either a combo tool like on the rambler, or even a combo tool like on the alox bantam. That way the executive would have a cap lifter, and small Phillips driver. A huge increase of mission capability. The second would be, make the blade a bit wider for even better edge geometry and cutting. We already have a small pen blade on it, s why not give more cutting ability with a larger/wider man blade?

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2021, 11:48:23 PM »
Billy Bringdown here.
I am 72. I am in the process of dieing. I have a box full of SAKS among other style knives. If a Farmer style alox that had the tool set of blade, scissors, saw and screw driver came out, I would buy it. I'm an addict.

The problem is, I am trying to clear up my mess, as will we all.  What do I do with my box of knives that no family member wants, and I don't want to bother shipping? I'm also lazy while dieing.

Was Bhudda right? Desire is the base of all pain?

I'm so sorry to hear of your condition!!!

I thought of this years ago when my gun collection and knife collection was very large. I ended up giving the stuff away to family and friends who wanted them. The leftovers got sold off, and a lot of knives went as give aways on the forums that I was on frequently, like Blade Forums. That way I figured if I went, they knives would go to people who would appreciate them, and my family wouldn't have to deal with the overflow mess.

If all else fails, give the box of knives to a local boy scout troop.

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2021, 12:57:49 AM »
You know, I can only wonder if this transition thing is age related. :dunno:

It seems like when I was a young stud, full of p--s and vinegar, I tried to cover all the basis. Car breakdown, ship wreck, end of the world as we know it. In my 30's I was a prepper. Yeah, the guy with 5 years of freeze dried food in the basement along with the mini 14, a zillion rounds of ammo, and at least a half dozen high dollar 'survival knives'. My daily EDC pocket stuff was pants dragging.

Then...somewhere along the way, I think I grew up. Sold off the mini 14, the thousands of rounds of ammo, used up the freeze dried food,( the mountain house beef stroganoff wasn't bad) and I went mainstream. Sort of. My SAK obsession and knife nut cult worship lasted a little longer, but by my 40's that too had faded a great deal. I no longer tried to cover all the basis. If the world ended, it would just have to do it without me. I kept a few guns, and a small handful of pocket knives, and just went on with life. I thought of something my old man had told me when I was a kid, and had forgotten. He said; "remember who you are, what you are, and where you are.? This from a guy who was an old Great Depression era guy who went off and fought WW2, came home and built a life in the great suburbs of Washington D.C. as a suit guy going "downtown" to work.

Dad was a great minimalist. He carried a Case peanut, a Sear's keychain screw driver, and a P-38 in his wallet like I learned to do when it came my turn to serve in the army. For a while I had forgotten the lessons that he, and a few of my senior NCO's drilled into me. That simple is good, and you can't carry everything. You learn to adapt, improvise, and overcome. Just to carry the few bare necessities, and improvise as needed. It took me a while, but as I got older, I lost the need to try to carry everything and cover all the bases. Somehow, the world kept on turning on its axis, the sun still rose in the east, and life went on. I took stock of what I actually used on a day to day basis, and took to carrying just that. My wallet thanked me, my wife thanked me, and life was peaceful.

Nowadays, I find a small keychain size penknife good, the one piece keychain screw driver and P-38 in my wallet works, and the Bic lighter in my pocket gives me fire when needed. Especially when I want to light my pipe. I came to embrace the whole concept of maximum minimalism and lived to see another day. Yeah, there was some times when I needed to go above and beyond, but I found that if you just take a moment to look things over, think about what you really need to do, a surprising amount of stuff can be done with a small sharp cutter, or a basic screw driver to take the cover off something to see what wrong. sometimes a paper clip or a bit of wire can make do. I always carry two paper clips and a safety pin in my wallet as well. Paper clips are very good quality wire to fasten something down or secure a connection.

Dad always told me that a knife doesn't have to be big, just sharp. I figure if dad could get through the depression and a world war, who was I to think I knew better after reading and wasting my money on survival magazines and books?

I think it was Teddy Roosevelt who said "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have, and it will be fine."

Who and I to question Teddy Roosevelt and dad?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 01:03:15 AM by cbl51 »

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2021, 08:48:48 PM »
Right on sir, and it was TR that said that!  :tu: :tu:

Barry
Hero Member Posts: 504
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2021, 10:36:50 AM »

You're lucky -- when I find out about something that works, it was discontinued a year ago and there's only one for sale on the whole internet for 1000x markup  :twak:

Given how many times the things I like become discontinued, it's hard not to buy a "lifetime supply" of them (lifetime of a star, maybe :whistle:).

In any case, my wallet sure transitioned into a bunch of SAKs.  :whistle:
Hero Member Posts: 504
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2021, 11:15:58 AM »
Unfortunately, the ambassador has the same defect as the executive. Its just a tad bigger and heavier, but not enough in many instances to make a real difference. If the 58mm is too small, the 74mm is still enough to just barely make a difference. I found with the executive, that is was still just a wee bit too small for things that the classic wasn't up to handling. So a dedicated cutter like the florist knife, or excelsior, or bantam, was needed.......

I tend to agree with all your interesting posts in this thread. I do find that while the Executive is not much more useful than a Classic, it's much nicer in hand to use.

Your story about your dad reminds me of my own dad and grandfather, and some of my feelings towards much of the EDC scene (especially on youtube and such). Of course, if you treat it as a hobby or fashion rather than just trying to get the job done, you can forgive how silly it can get. It's more of an escape, interest, and collection for me. The spirit of it comes from the same mentality of "what do I actually need" since the SAK can be pretty minimalist in itself. Well, until you buy dozens of them.  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $62.47
PayPal Fees: $4.40
Net Balance: $58.07
Below Goal: $241.93
Site Currency: USD
19%