Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buy Spirit X now or wait for MXBS/MX?

Offline maxwolfie

• New User
Buy Spirit X now or wait for MXBS/MX?
on: March 06, 2022, 05:13:04 AM
TBH I don’t want to spend much more than what you can get a Spirit X for now (equivalent of approx $130 USD where I live), so not only am I impatient about the wait, I’m also concerned that pricing will be substantially more.

This is for EDC and will be carried in my pocket (no sheath and probably won’t use clip either TBH).

Any thoughts?

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Re: Buy Spirit X now or wait for MXBS/MX?
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 09:02:09 AM
Initially I was very happy about the announcement of those one hand opening blades on the new Spirits. But now, looking at how the thumb stud is implemented - I think it's not the right one for me - it will get in the way of cutting with the whole length of the blade, for the most uses I have for that blade. It is already on the shorter side. So I will stick with my Spirit X and probably will buy the pocket clip for it (when and if they fix the problem with the screw).

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 01:19:42 PM
I personally find the MXBS significantly improved for the one handed opening. You are sure right on the cost though - quite a premium; arguable whether it is worth it from that angle. I found the blade somewhat hard to retrieve in the older models; it was annoying.

I think the biggest weakness in all of the Spirits is that the blade is fairly small - particularly when compared to the Leatherman offerings (but still vastly superior to said offerings!).

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 03:56:24 PM
One: Prices only go up. the longer you wait, the more you pay.

Two: Do you really need OHO?  Personally, I don't feel one-handed opening is a must. 

Three: Get you what you really want, and you only have to spend the money once.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 05:02:44 PM
I actually have both. I admit that I find the one hand opening somewhat useful but it can be aggravating if you have larger hands. It only gets in the way of you are cutting something that requires the whole blade.

I bought it as a collector and I’m happy with it. But, as a user, there’s not enough difference to pay the extra money in my opinion. If you want a clip, Victorinox said they had some QC issues with them and they’ll be back in stock my May.

I say go ahead and buy one now and you can always get the clip later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD