Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smart Home devices

Kev D · 282 · 14393

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Smart Home devices
Reply #270 on: October 07, 2020, 04:36:28 PM
That's impressive.  I'll never go to that level of automation.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #271 on: October 07, 2020, 04:37:22 PM
Amazon prime day on Oct 13th/14th should be some good deals, hopefully the studios will be reduced, I fancy a stereo pair of those in my living room.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #272 on: January 10, 2022, 04:20:33 PM
I just added a ring 4 doorbell camera and show 8 2nd gen to display it on to my slowly growing collection of smart home devices.

I'd read loads of reviews about various doorbells and a lot of them were conflicting about picture quality, so never pulled the trigger on one as a result.  After seeing a ring 2 on someone else's phone I finally decided to get one and its been great so far.  Battery life won't be anywhere near as advertised due to the settings I have meaning it will drain much faster, but I have a spare so should only be a minute to swap it out. If you ever get a battery ring doorbell, definitely buy a spare, they take 7 to 8 hours to charge (and that was from 30% out of the box).  I figure now I have stopped playing with settings often and its just doing its normal thing, I'll get 2 months out of a battery instead of 3 to 6 as can be possible.  Though I have no idea how with the sensible settings most will want, which I think mine are.

Day picture quality is good and night picture quality is far better than I thought it would be. The only annoying thing with it so far is people walking past my yard at night. Even though I have the motion zone set for in my yard, their shadow created by the new LED streetlight opposite is detected as a person in my motion zone, so sets it off.  I've created routines in the amazon app to display the camera motion detection only on the show 8 (and my phone & tablet) so we can see if its anyone actually coming in the yard, rather than an alert on every Alexa in the house as with doorbell presses.  I've only had it 3 weeks but so far I'm impressed with it, so much so I'm now looking at adding camera's to it.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #273 on: January 10, 2022, 09:35:22 PM
Good to see you Kev!!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #274 on: January 11, 2022, 04:54:07 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #275 on: January 13, 2022, 01:30:44 AM
Good to see you Kev!!

:iagree: :woohoo:

Been a while :ahhh

england Offline Kev D

Reply #276 on: January 17, 2022, 03:10:53 PM

england Offline Kev D

Reply #277 on: January 17, 2022, 03:13:01 PM
I just added a ring 4 doorbell camera and show 8 2nd gen to display it on to my slowly growing collection of smart home devices.

I'd read loads of reviews about various doorbells and a lot of them were conflicting about picture quality, so never pulled the trigger on one as a result.  After seeing a ring 2 on someone else's phone I finally decided to get one and its been great so far.  Battery life won't be anywhere near as advertised due to the settings I have meaning it will drain much faster, but I have a spare so should only be a minute to swap it out. If you ever get a battery ring doorbell, definitely buy a spare, they take 7 to 8 hours to charge (and that was from 30% out of the box).  I figure now I have stopped playing with settings often and its just doing its normal thing, I'll get 2 months out of a battery instead of 3 to 6 as can be possible.  Though I have no idea how with the sensible settings most will want, which I think mine are.

Day picture quality is good and night picture quality is far better than I thought it would be. The only annoying thing with it so far is people walking past my yard at night. Even though I have the motion zone set for in my yard, their shadow created by the new LED streetlight opposite is detected as a person in my motion zone, so sets it off.  I've created routines in the amazon app to display the camera motion detection only on the show 8 (and my phone & tablet) so we can see if its anyone actually coming in the yard, rather than an alert on every Alexa in the house as with doorbell presses.  I've only had it 3 weeks but so far I'm impressed with it, so much so I'm now looking at adding camera's to it.

Well I fixed that, by removing it and mounting it at the lower height they recommend of 48".  Would be nice if that instruction was in the box though rather than finding it a week later online and having screw holes to fill in my door frame.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #278 on: November 24, 2022, 07:38:46 PM
As it's that big yearly one day sale that lasts over a week now, we added a 5th gen Echo dot...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #279 on: November 25, 2022, 05:22:49 AM
Nice.

We have a Google Home in every room already (yes, even that one!) and I'm really glad to have them.

I rarely ever use my Echo Dot anymore though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #280 on: November 25, 2022, 09:05:01 AM
 It's supposed to have a better speaker than previous versions, and some sort of WiFi mesh capabilities, but you need a specific router I think. For 25€ it'll do. I want to pair the old ones with the tv or something.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #281 on: December 01, 2022, 12:25:04 PM
It's supposed to have a better speaker than previous versions, and some sort of WiFi mesh capabilities, but you need a specific router I think. For 25€ it'll do. I want to pair the old ones with the tv or something.

Yes you need the Eero mesh system, it acts as an extra 100mbit mesh node I believe. They also released the same capability in the full size gen 4 echo's. 

I have the Eero pro 6 mesh system, but haven't noticed any benefit with the echo's adding to it since they released that capability.  The mesh already has such a great signal I was already getting wifi speeds far in excess of 100mbit everywhere already so no idea if it helps or not.    When looking at the devices on my network through the Eero app, they are showing up as Eero built-in devices so assume they do something, maybe??
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 12:39:24 PM by Kev D »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD