Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rabbit hole - EDC light

Zephon · 105 · 9103

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Rabbit hole - EDC light
Reply #60 on: June 20, 2022, 05:27:26 PM
Yes I do enjoy a good keychain light.  My Rovyvon is doing great and is used often.  I also really like Anduril and thanks to Sos I was gifted a  light with it.   

I'm going to check out the lights she suggested  :whistle:.  I like AAA or even better USB rechargeable.  AUX leds  :woohoo: yes please.  I think my partner has come to the realization that I have to play with the Anduril UI to get completely familiar with it  :rofl:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: June 21, 2022, 05:13:35 AM
Yes I do enjoy a good keychain light.  My Rovyvon is doing great and is used often.  I also really like Anduril and thanks to Sos I was gifted a  light with it.   

I'm going to check out the lights she suggested  :whistle:.  I like AAA or even better USB rechargeable.  AUX leds  :woohoo: yes please.  I think my partner has come to the realization that I have to play with the Anduril UI to get completely familiar with it  :rofl:

I don’t even try to come up with reasons anymore.  I’ll be like “I’m going outside/other room to play with… [insert tool, flashlight, stove, etc]. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: June 21, 2022, 03:48:52 PM
 :rofl:

Too funny. 
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #63 on: July 06, 2022, 08:33:17 AM
You guys are such a bad influence  :whistle:  :cheers:  :facepalm:

After being stuck in Chinese customs, the GT Nano finally got delivered. The 10440 tube of the Frog fits it perfectly. The 3x AAA tube screws on A LOT smoother on the Nano than on the Frog.

I haven’t had time to test it outdoors since it came it at noon. Quite eager to see how far the Nano would reach.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: July 06, 2022, 04:09:22 PM
 :woohoo:  Night cannot come fast enough. 

My lovely partner says, " Your light is glowing, is it ok".  I tell her its been glowing and its a battery indicator and locator as well as very cool.  She's unimpressed. 

I then turn on the AUX lights alternating colors.  She's says "NOW THATS COOL" :D

She wants to press a button or twist  for on then press or twist again for off for light.  I tell her mine is set up that way and to give it a shot.  She then says "Oh, that reminds me, I need a new battery for my light".  She carries a Lumintop Worm in purple.  I hand her a battery and she twists on and off as she walks out the room.  "Hey, aren't you going to try the light?". 

"No, mines working now and yours looks complicated". 

Next time.   :tu:     

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: July 06, 2022, 07:01:02 PM
You guys are such a bad influence  :whistle:  :cheers:  :facepalm:

After being stuck in Chinese customs, the GT Nano finally got delivered. The 10440 tube of the Frog fits it perfectly. The 3x AAA tube screws on A LOT smoother on the Nano than on the Frog.

I haven’t had time to test it outdoors since it came it at noon. Quite eager to see how far the Nano would reach.

You did it! Looking forward to your thoughts on the GT Nano   :like:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: July 06, 2022, 07:01:29 PM
:woohoo:  Night cannot come fast enough. 

My lovely partner says, " Your light is glowing, is it ok".  I tell her its been glowing and its a battery indicator and locator as well as very cool.  She's unimpressed. 

I then turn on the AUX lights alternating colors.  She's says "NOW THATS COOL" :D

She wants to press a button or twist  for on then press or twist again for off for light.  I tell her mine is set up that way and to give it a shot.  She then says "Oh, that reminds me, I need a new battery for my light".  She carries a Lumintop Worm in purple.  I hand her a battery and she twists on and off as she walks out the room.  "Hey, aren't you going to try the light?". 

"No, mines working now and yours looks complicated". 

Next time.   :tu:     

You'll get her there eventually, at least you have her carrying the worm  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: July 08, 2022, 04:59:02 PM
 :iagree:

She's funny tho.  Any new gear she wants to handle but hands back without giving it a try.  She has her gear she likes so I'm glad for that.  Spyderco Chaparral, Worm, Micra, Classic.  She cannot carry a blade anymore at work so its Micra and Worm. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: July 08, 2022, 06:40:39 PM
:iagree:

She's funny tho.  Any new gear she wants to handle but hands back without giving it a try.  She has her gear she likes so I'm glad for that.  Spyderco Chaparral, Worm, Micra, Classic.  She cannot carry a blade anymore at work so its Micra and Worm.

Doesn't the Micra have a blade?

She has some fine taste! The Chaparral is an excellent EDC  :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: July 08, 2022, 06:45:52 PM
Yes but her work is ok with it  :dunno:.  Her Chaparral not so much.  I asked about a classic and she said they'd be fine with it.   Her work sees the Micra as scissors even with the blade. 

If they are ok with it awesome.  At least she can have a tool with her. 
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #70 on: July 11, 2022, 03:29:06 AM
You did it! Looking forward to your thoughts on the GT Nano   :like:

It’s something for the outdoors and not the type I’d use to say, fix something under the kitchen sink. 

Firing off the beam off yonder across the street reminds me of the laser pointers of old.  It’s like pick a target out there and expect a round spotlight to show up on that area!  Wish I had this earlier when we went to the beach. 

It deserves a good place in the outdoors bag.  It won’t take up space and won’t weigh more than an extra SAK or MT.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #71 on: July 11, 2022, 03:42:17 AM
My first Anduril 2 flashlight.

My first 18650 flashlight.

I bought the ‘kit’ that contained the battery and got a magnetic tail as an add-on.  Somehow I feel that I should have bought a 18350 tube and battery as well, although there’s no green tube as of this writing.

It’s a serious piece of equipment.  Some may say that it’s a clicky toy but in ‘simple mode’ it’ll be basic enough for any member of the household to use in emergency.  Click on / click off.

Then there’s the USB-C built in charging where all I have to worry about is the USB-C cable. 

I like it! Yeah, I’ll admit it’s a bit too big for casual carry but it’s what I’ll grab when it’s time for serious work.

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: July 11, 2022, 03:53:54 AM
It’s something for the outdoors and not the type I’d use to say, fix something under the kitchen sink. 

Firing off the beam off yonder across the street reminds me of the laser pointers of old.  It’s like pick a target out there and expect a round spotlight to show up on that area!  Wish I had this earlier when we went to the beach. 

It deserves a good place in the outdoors bag.  It won’t take up space and won’t weigh more than an extra SAK or MT.

It's good fun isn't it? The throw really stands up against larger lights, it's really neat

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #73 on: July 12, 2022, 03:02:58 AM
It's good fun isn't it? The throw really stands up against larger lights, it's really neat

You’re definitely right about that!  That throw from something this small makes you say ‘what sort of sorcery is this?!?’

Although yeah, for its price, I suddenly realized I could have bought a Sofirn  IF22A.  Then again, I don’t think the IF22A will fit in my coin/watch pocket or squeeze in with my keys, wallet, Vaxx card, and Micra in my front pocket.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: July 12, 2022, 04:44:03 AM
Its awesome to see makers pushing the throw on those lights at affordable prices.  Light wand comes to mind when I see how much throw they have. 
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #75 on: July 20, 2022, 03:08:29 AM
Something new over the weekend. Sofirn HS40. I figured I might as well have an angle light in 18650 format. It’s pictured here with the included short tube running on a spare 16340 battery. It’s got a 5000k tint that I feel leans towards the green side. USB-C built-in charging helps simplify things a lot.

Still tinkering with it to get the feel of it. Honestly missing the Anduril UI, even just for the battery voltage check.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: July 20, 2022, 04:08:43 PM
Nice light.  I have one angle light from Manker.  Its neutral tint and lovely.  Its not used often but stowed away in my vehicle. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #77 on: July 29, 2022, 06:04:53 AM
After the talk about the Frog, I decided to order one with a 10440 tube.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #78 on: August 02, 2022, 03:37:37 AM
After the talk about the Frog, I decided to order one with a 10440 tube.

Congratulations! Hope you find it useful!

First order of business with the Frog is to turn off that aux light on the power switch. It has a very high level of parasitic drain on a rather small battery.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #79 on: August 14, 2022, 06:25:59 AM
Congratulations! Hope you find it useful!

First order of business with the Frog is to turn off that aux light on the power switch. It has a very high level of parasitic drain on a rather small battery.
How do you shut it off?  I read the instructions, but those seem to simultaneously lock out the light.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #80 on: August 15, 2022, 04:22:58 PM
How do you shut it off?  I read the instructions, but those seem to simultaneously lock out the light.

I don’t remember how I did it but it goes something like:
3 clicks to go to battery check then click n hold to bring you to advanced configuration settings of the aux light. Then I just kept pressing 1 click after blinks as ‘1’ = disable. I basically opted to disable all indicator LED functions.

It takes practice to count blinks but this newbie did manage it so I’m sure you would also!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #81 on: August 16, 2022, 05:01:47 AM
I don’t remember how I did it but it goes something like:
3 clicks to go to battery check then click n hold to bring you to advanced configuration settings of the aux light. Then I just kept pressing 1 click after blinks as ‘1’ = disable. I basically opted to disable all indicator LED functions.

It takes practice to count blinks but this newbie did manage it so I’m sure you would also!
Thanks.  Your memory was accurate and I was able to do it.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #82 on: August 18, 2022, 03:40:02 AM
A little bit deeper in the rabbit hole and a little bit deeper into ‘empty pockets’ lol

Anyway, first up is a Wurkkos TS21 5000k with Nichia emitters.  Loving the pinkish hue it gives.  Much much better than the greenish SST40 hue….at least for me.  I’m just bothered by the indicator light that will light up blue for whatever reason the torch only knows.  This led me to….

I purchased a IF25A 4000k (SST20 x 4, if I remember correctly) during a recent sale.  Although I personally prefer 5000k, the choices were only between 4000k and 6000k only so I went 4000k based on reviews.  I just got it yesterday so everything is still in ‘default mode’.  The only thing I did was go to Advanced Mode.

I wanted to have some fun so I also got a short tube for 21700 lights and a couple of pocket clips.  My TS21 now feels like a totally different light with a short tube and a 20350 battery (yes, I found one!) and a pocket clip.  I also attached a pocket clip to the IF25A.  Though a lot has been said about the Sofirn pocket clips, I still find them very useful even if just to prevent the flashlight from rolling down on its side.  The way I attach the pocket clip also helps me index my fingers over the light, as much as the power button does.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #83 on: August 18, 2022, 03:48:46 AM
Nice additions.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #84 on: August 22, 2022, 05:16:15 AM
Nice additions.

Thanks!  :hatsoff:

The IF25A is currently on warranty. Apparently only 2 of the 4 emitters are working. I don’t have a soldering set to take care of it so might as well use the ‘cheaper’ though slower option of replacement warranty.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #85 on: August 22, 2022, 05:20:39 AM
Another addition. A rather unique one I would say. It’s an HD15R. Instead of flood and throw emitters, it’s got flood and red emitters. I still have to take it to its paces - hopefully it becomes more than just a collector’s piece stuck in a shelf or bag.

I have to admit though that if there’s something I find missing on my headlamps, it’s an always-on aux light.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: August 22, 2022, 05:12:16 PM
I only have one red led light.  Its great tho.  I would like to see a light with aux laser in green  :D

Nice light btw. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: August 22, 2022, 05:29:55 PM
I only have one red led light.  Its great tho.  I would like to see a light with aux laser in green  :D

Nice light btw.

The Olight Arcfeld is exactly this, you may be interested  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: August 22, 2022, 05:30:25 PM
Another addition. A rather unique one I would say. It’s an HD15R. Instead of flood and throw emitters, it’s got flood and red emitters. I still have to take it to its paces - hopefully it becomes more than just a collector’s piece stuck in a shelf or bag.

I have to admit though that if there’s something I find missing on my headlamps, it’s an always-on aux light.

Nice light!

What do you mean by an always on aux light btw?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: August 22, 2022, 05:43:02 PM
The Olight Arcfeld is exactly this, you may be interested  :tu:

I'll have a look thanks. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!