Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I should have just bought a Swiss Champ from the beginning!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Re: I should have just bought a Swiss Champ from the beginning!
Reply #30 on: December 31, 2021, 04:29:34 PM
Or go with a hex bit coupler on the inline Phillips of an Explorer or Swiss Champ.
There's one other restriction - Literally... Tight spaces.
I can usually just about manage with an Explorer screwdriver at right angles, but the CT driver is sometimes too long to fit the tight spaces, especially in some SFF PCs. For this reason and the need for a wider range of bits, I tend to supplement a SAK with a ratchet set like the one from SwissTool kits. Ideally you'd have layers with both a bit driver and a ratchet driver in 6mm, but the knife would be getting pretty hefty at that point.

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #31 on: December 31, 2021, 06:27:44 PM
Yep, that's exactly right. You only need a champ. That's it, one and done.

Oh and maybe a farmer, yup should have a farmer for sure. Oh yeah and a pioneer and maybe a huntsman. Well of course you need a rambler, and everyone needs a spartan.  Now that I think about it a explorer would be handy too..... :facepalm:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 31, 2021, 08:07:53 PM
Yep, that's exactly right. You only need a champ. That's it, one and done.

Oh and maybe a farmer, yup should have a farmer for sure. Oh yeah and a pioneer and maybe a huntsman. Well of course you need a rambler, and everyone needs a spartan.  Now that I think about it a explorer would be handy too..... :facepalm:

:rofl:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 01, 2022, 06:06:32 AM
There's one other restriction - Literally... Tight spaces.
I can usually just about manage with an Explorer screwdriver at right angles, but the CT driver is sometimes too long to fit the tight spaces, especially in some SFF PCs. For this reason and the need for a wider range of bits, I tend to supplement a SAK with a ratchet set like the one from SwissTool kits. Ideally you'd have layers with both a bit driver and a ratchet driver in 6mm, but the knife would be getting pretty hefty at that point.
I ran into tight space issues with the Swiss Champ being wide. My answer was to take a hex key (I think it was 5mm?) and grind down two of the points at each end so the hex bit coupler fits on snugly. The short end of that I can get into pretty tight spaces. And the hex key shape lets me get some decent torque on it.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 01, 2022, 08:07:25 PM
I have a CT-41 (Cyber Tool large) and a Swiss Champ.  There is no noticeable difference in carrying them and I like them both, but I tend to prefer the Swiss Champ because I really miss the magnifying glass when I don't have it. I tend to think of the Swiss Champ as a general purpose tool and the CT as more of an industrial tool. If I was an electrician or doing commercial building maintenance work I think I would prefer the Cyber Tool.  I imagine you could sharpen the notches of the Swiss Champ's fish scaler to different size wire strippers  though, which might be nice to have. However, I don't know if anyone has actually done that.  I absolutely think either one is worth having, and of course, having both is even better.  Yes. I think the solution to your problem is to get both. Sorry. :pok:

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #35 on: January 01, 2022, 09:51:40 PM
Yes. I think the solution to your problem is to get both. Sorry. :pok:
I have the CT Lite already. The 41 would not add anything I don't already have... though I'd not be averse to trying it, if someone were to buy it for my birthday or something!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #36 on: January 02, 2022, 06:45:36 PM
 :rofl: This Forum will do that to you my friend!!  I started out with the Huntsman that I carried for 32 years.  I found the Forum and it began.  At last count I was over 50  SAKs :facepalm:
I think the best way is known to all of us...

GET EM ALL !!  :woohoo: :climber: :woohoo:

:cheers:
Barry

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #37 on: January 02, 2022, 08:03:14 PM
:rofl: This Forum will do that to you my friend!!  I started out with the Huntsman that I carried for 32 years.  I found the Forum and it began.  At last count I was over 50  SAKs :facepalm:
SAKs are worse than Pokémon.

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #38 on: January 02, 2022, 08:38:45 PM
Hooooo yes, much much worse !! Pokemons are taking virtual space, SAK's are definitively there with us, filling up our desks and rooms :P

ca Offline buggs

Reply #39 on: January 09, 2022, 05:28:55 AM
I just bought a Swiss Champ this evening.  Seemed to be an awfully good deal from williamsfoodequipment.com in Canada.  Got $10 off an already good price so coming to me for $94.49 CAD including the taxes.  Free shipping. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #40 on: January 09, 2022, 03:36:58 PM
That does sound like a good deal.  My son said that anyone who collects SAKs needs a Swisschamp. 
Barry

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #41 on: January 09, 2022, 08:06:01 PM
My son said that anyone who collects SAKs needs a Swisschamp.
:iagree: It just took 30 years of wanting one for me to have one!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #42 on: January 10, 2022, 12:27:58 AM
Good for you in getting one Farmer!  :tu:
Barry

00 Offline Dr. Boombatz

Reply #43 on: January 10, 2022, 07:31:14 PM
As the OP of this thread jsut wanted to update...I still haven't bought another SAK since picking up the Swiss Champ. It's also Turing out to be the one I use the most.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: January 10, 2022, 11:40:52 PM
I had several on one point.  Its such a terrific SAK.  I pocket carried one for a while.  Now I sheath carry my SCs, one on a hike pack and one for the house.  I have older ones that have the thinner plier.  I said before that its a must SAK for enthusiasts.  Have fun and use every tool on it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #45 on: January 10, 2022, 11:58:12 PM
 :iagree: 💯 my friend!  I have an older model which rides in my car in a Zermatt pouch.  If I could only have one, it'd be a SC.  As far as I know, it's completely legal in most of the world, and has everything you might need.  If it doesn't, it'll make it for you!  Read the reviews on Vic"s site.  It's literally the stuff of legends. 
Barry

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 11, 2022, 12:54:46 AM
As the OP of this thread jsut wanted to update...I still haven't bought another SAK since picking up the Swiss Champ. It's also Turing out to be the one I use the most.

Thanks for the update.  :tu:

I’m always curious if a new Champ user will fall into one of two camps…that the size is fine for carry and use. Or the other group that feels it’s just too big. Which is a legitimate concern when giving advice to others for what to carry. I fall into the former group and have no problem with ‘large’-ish SAKs.

Glad you found what you needed Dr. B.  :)
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline Dr. Boombatz

Reply #47 on: January 11, 2022, 02:55:26 AM
Thanks for the update.  :tu:

I’m always curious if a new Champ user will fall into one of two camps…that the size is fine for carry and use. Or the other group that feels it’s just too big. Which is a legitimate concern when giving advice to others for what to carry. I fall into the former group and have no problem with ‘large’-ish SAKs.

Glad you found what you needed Dr. B.  :)

For full disclosure, I don't EDC it. It sits on my desk at home and I've found that I use it more around the house than anything else. I EDC other knives or SAK's, but honestly never really even use them.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:02:22 AM by Dr. Boombatz »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 11, 2022, 08:45:14 PM
For full disclosure, I don't EDC it. It sits on my desk at home and I've found that I use it more around the house than anything else. I EDC other knives or SAK's, but honestly never really even use them.

Well that’s like 99.95% of my stuff. Sitting around the house on some horizontal surface waiting for it’s next use. I call my regular users the ‘EDC pile’, and sure, those are the knives that go outside with me, but most of the uses are inside or at least around the house if I’m not out camping or something like that.

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #49 on: January 12, 2022, 02:28:39 AM
I’m always curious if a new Champ user will fall into one of two camps…that the size is fine for carry and use. Or the other group that feels it’s just too big.
I'm in the latter, if I'm honest, at least as far as my perspectives and experiences of what a SAK is supposed to be. The Ranger is about the ideal, while the Handyman is pushing it a bit, in the same way having a large executive car will often be...
In that same analogy, a SwissChamp and other similarly sized models (Cybertool Lite) are the equivalent of driving one of those ridiculously big 4x4 pickups, just to pop to th supermarket.

I do still carry my SC every day though... at least until I get a second one and mod out a couple of the least-used/useful tools.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 12, 2022, 07:37:58 PM
I'm in the latter, if I'm honest, at least as far as my perspectives and experiences of what a SAK is supposed to be. The Ranger is about the ideal, while the Handyman is pushing it a bit, in the same way having a large executive car will often be...
In that same analogy, a SwissChamp and other similarly sized models (Cybertool Lite) are the equivalent of driving one of those ridiculously big 4x4 pickups, just to pop to th supermarket.

I do still carry my SC every day though... at least until I get a second one and mod out a couple of the least-used/useful tools.

Now that you think you have it all figured out Dr. B., I’ll tell you the real secret…

Everyone needs a Champ. Maybe a Workchamp too, but I digress a bit. Then they need a mod that has all the favorites. One (perhaps regular production) mid size-ish with the most used tools. And one minimal that has the stuff you really hate being without. One that ‘pushes’ you out of your comfort zone.

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts since you’ve joined. I hope you continue to have more to share!  :cheers: :tu:

Just get it done. What tools would you ditch?

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #51 on: January 13, 2022, 04:01:25 AM
My main problem with the SwissChamp is its width in hand while using the large blade.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #52 on: January 13, 2022, 04:26:42 AM
Just get it done. What tools would you ditch?
Fish descaler and the pliers. I've no use for any functions on the former, and the latter just aren't as good as I'd hope, especially the wire cutter. I've already notched it from trying to cut a bit of 0.75mm electrical wire!
Not as easy as 'just doing it', as I have other expenses at the minute and I still need to get some tools - I'm geared up for wood, not metal.

My main problem with the SwissChamp is its width in hand while using the large blade.
Likewise - I have big hands, but it's still problematic in some situations.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #53 on: January 13, 2022, 06:30:26 AM

This, this, this. See also: can opener & flat SD. Hence carrying another knife for those functions.

Otherwise I love the SC! I’ve used every tool on it - even the scaler, which I wouldn’t be without. It’s particularly good for weeding pots.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: January 13, 2022, 07:10:52 PM
Fish descaler and the pliers. I've no use for any functions on the former, and the latter just aren't as good as I'd hope, especially the wire cutter. I've already notched it from trying to cut a bit of 0.75mm electrical wire!
That’s one knife I think Victorinox should make even if I wouldn’t get one myself. The difficulty in helping Victorinox ‘see’ it would be a good model is that it’s essentially a Champion plus without a scaler.   While I don’t hate the scaler myself, I view it as the tool that hasn’t ‘pulled its own weight’ over the years.

I accept the pliers as they are. I do wish they were better as I’d would love a set that worked like Knipex. 

Not as easy as 'just doing it', as I have other expenses at the minute and I still need to get some tools - I'm geared up for wood, not metal.

Understood. My apologies for sounding more like a criticism instead of encouragement.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #55 on: January 13, 2022, 08:00:15 PM
That’s one knife I think Victorinox should make even if I wouldn’t get one myself. The difficulty in helping Victorinox ‘see’ it would be a good model is that it’s essentially a Champion plus without a scaler.   While I don’t hate the scaler myself, I view it as the tool that hasn’t ‘pulled its own weight’ over the years.
Like this?
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

cz Offline z1913

Reply #56 on: January 13, 2022, 09:01:59 PM
Excellent!   :salute:
Please send the picture to Ibach!

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #57 on: January 13, 2022, 09:10:35 PM
Like this?
Exactly like that!!
ISTR seeing this a while ago in passing - Didn't you even settle on a name for it? Exploranger, I thought?

While I don’t hate the scaler myself, I view it as the tool that hasn’t ‘pulled its own weight’ over the years. I accept the pliers as they are. I do wish they were better as I’d would love a set that worked like Knipex. 
I think both are good at what they do... but that neither fill my needs enough. The scaler gets very good reviews, it seems, but belongs only on certain models, like the Hoof Cleaner or the Cleat Wrench.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 13, 2022, 10:01:30 PM
Like this?

:tu:

Every time I consider building one like this, I stop and think: We’ll, I could just cut off the scaler on a Champion and I’d be happy enough with it for 20 seconds of work.

:D

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #59 on: January 13, 2022, 10:41:49 PM
Exactly like that!!
ISTR seeing this a while ago in passing - Didn't you even settle on a name for it?
I can’t remember, but the knife no longer exists in that configuration. I added the pliers back, resulting in a SwissChamp minus the scaler.

Boomer Sooner!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD