Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brutal Rev review with a side dish of beat up Tom Sachs charge

Offline cnlson

Last week he bent the file on his TS charge, this week he bought a Rev and is disappointed.

I think he might be chakos neighbor in the great white north

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Brutal Rev review with a side dish of beat up Tom Sachs charge
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 03:33:51 PM
After having one of the most high end LM to date he is disappointed by the lowest end of the spectrum :think:  nah, surely not :shrug:

This dude must be a bit nutty ::) :rofl:

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 03:37:03 PM
I dunno what his thing is. I’ll leave it at that.  :think:

I recently got a Rev. Aside from the handle splay, I’m pretty ok with it. There was one time where I was wondering why people had positive comments about the Rev - I figured myself more of a Wingman type of guy.

Then I got a 2nd hand Rev. I took it apart, put it back together like a puzzle, all without going to YouTube for instructions. I guess any tool that you can strip down and assemble without a manual is a winner for me. Then there’s the plier head - it cuts wire (and other  stuff) better than the ones on the Wingman/Sidekick.  All of that in a 5oz package at a price that won’t hurt so much if you need to ditch the tool.

I’ve had my share of USD20-40 PB multitools and so far the Rev is still alive and kicking.

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 05:03:49 PM
I rarely hit the thumbs down button on YT, but I made exception for that video  :whistle:
Though far from my favourite, the Rev is decent enough, especially in that price range. The only thing I don’t like and can’t modify on it is how far apart the handles are when opened, as mentioned above. And I have pretty medium size hands.
As for his comments on a company making a cheaper, lesser version of their product - what ever keeps them in the game is fine by me, as long as they keep the quality in the expensive models.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 05:19:46 PM
Appears to be crazy enough to live around here...I guess...

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline bobartig

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 06:53:00 PM
Wait, they made a whole video just to say the Rev isn't as capable as the Charge??? 🤦🏻‍♂️

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 06:54:28 PM
Appears to be crazy enough to live around here...I guess...

:rofl:

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 07:30:54 PM
Last week he bent the file on his TS charge, this week he bought a Rev and is disappointed.

Yeah, after watching most of that last video, there's no reason for me to watch this one.  It doesn't take talent to abuse tools, and it's not even interesting because any idiot can do the same thing.

pr Online Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club

pr Online Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 09:22:00 PM
I rarely hit the thumbs down button on YT, but I made exception for that video  :whistle:
Though far from my favourite, the Rev is decent enough, especially in that price range. The only thing I don’t like and can’t modify on it is how far apart the handles are when opened, as mentioned above. And I have pretty medium size hands.
As for his comments on a company making a cheaper, lesser version of their product - what ever keeps them in the game is fine by me, as long as they keep the quality in the expensive models.

I do concur with most of your comment, except for the first highlighted comment ('cause if you want to, you can! https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69547.msg1743418.html#msg1743418  :D). And for my first two Revs, quality has been comparable to my other Leathermans (Leathermen;  :think:). One caveat, I've mod'ded both!!! :multi:

Offline cnlson

Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 11:41:35 PM
Yeah, after watching most of that last video, there's no reason for me to watch this one.  It doesn't take talent to abuse tools, and it's not even interesting because any idiot can do the same thing.
he spends most of the video talking about the machine processes. So, for instance, The method of machining the plier jaws, almost none, they are cast essentially as you receive them no machining of the plier teeth to make them grip better. no machining on the back of the knife hole punch where it is sharp and sometimes jagged and should be hit with a grinder a bit to clean it up. The nearly useless ruler with no inch marks and no flat surface to the ruler.

I carried a sidekick for 2 years EDC. The tools on it, the wingman, rev, bolster, and I include the p2 and p4 in this. They just are not great. To me they are like a rebranded Gerber. They are not what I associate with Leatherman quality. They are usable, but the details and materials are not what every other tool back to the PST has. a damn the cost make this work and be beautiful too, esthetic.

I'm not being a tool snob or hating on them. But If the charge or wave were brothers with the rev, you'd easily know which one was adopted.

for entry level tools do you want them to see a gerber is more of a comparable upgrade or a wave? or a rebar?

Offline cnlson

Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 02:01:36 AM
After having one of the most high end LM to date he is disappointed by the lowest end of the spectrum :think:  nah, surely not :shrug:

This dude must be a bit nutty ::) :rofl:

you might not have caught it in the previous video but he has no idea how high end that TS charge is. It was given to him, Likely by TS. He has #14 so a pretty low number. He said he has had and lost many leathermen over the years. He thinks they are the top of the foodchain in multitools. But he doesn't care that much for multitools. Too much of a compromise.

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 11:04:42 AM
I do concur with most of your comment, except for the first highlighted comment ('cause if you want to, you can! https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69547.msg1743418.html#msg1743418  :D). And for my first two Revs, quality has been comparable to my other Leathermans (Leathermen;  :think:). One caveat, I've mod'ded both!!! :multi:
Thank you for the info :)
Right now Rev is transformed into a knife - only one handle with all the tools except the pliers. And I like it a lot this way. If I ever make it into a plier again I will try to correct that handle splay, as you did.
As to the second part, the one about quality- I probably did not express myself clearly. I wasn’t referring to the cheaper models as lacking quality, I was just hoping they would keep the quality in the more shiny models we all seem to enjoy so much. And as long as they do that, I am sworn fan of theirs, no matter what else they do.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 03:18:42 PM
he spends most of the video talking about the machine processes.
He does?
I thought he was just swearing for the whole of it, like a kid who just discovered the F-word.....

Offline cnlson

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 07:33:18 AM
He does?
I thought he was just swearing for the whole of it, like a kid who just discovered the F-word.....
Well, there is that.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 02:53:41 PM
He does?

* 1609028252508.jpg (Filesize: 142.8 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD