Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New PC Build

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
New PC Build
on: December 30, 2021, 12:19:15 AM
The last PC I built for myself was back in about 2014 so it was time for an update. Last 3 builds had been Intel, but went with AMD this time.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk motherboard
Noctual NH-U12S CPU cooler
32GB Corsair DDR4-3200 Ram
nVidia RTX3060Ti Graphics Card
1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD
1TB Samsung 980 NVME SSD
4TB Western Digital Green for storage (retrieved from old PC)
Pioneer Blu Ray Burner (retrieved from old PC, but not fitted. Not sure whether I will fit it)
Seasonic Focus 850 watt 80 Plus Gold full modular PSU
Be Quiet Pure Base 600 case.

* 01.jpg (Filesize: 382.95 KB)

* 02.jpg (Filesize: 349.25 KB)

* 03.jpg (Filesize: 361.6 KB)

* 04.jpg (Filesize: 280.65 KB)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: New PC Build
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 01:16:21 AM
Very nice setup.  It has been so long since I built a PC in not sure where I'd even begin now!   :ahhh

Also, I can't remember the last time I needed/used an optical drive, so I'm not sure I would bother installing one.  Still, it sort of seems wrong not to have one, so if you have space, you might as well.

Of course I was also one of those guys that refused to let my floppy drive go, despite never having used it.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 03:36:33 AM
Nice build. Yeah, I have a portable optical drive I bought for work and then it migrated home. It is rarely used these days. Looks like CDs are dead for the most part as everything is now online.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 10:21:21 PM
Of course I was also one of those guys that refused to let my floppy drive go, despite never having used it.   :facepalm:

I did one worse - when a shop had a final outlet sale of their remaining floppy disc drives I bought two despite not having used floppy discs in ages. (Not quite as crazy it sound as a machine I had at the time required parameters set from a floppy disc, and I feared a failed floppy unit might render an otherwise great machine worthless).

Zip drives anyone? 5.25" empty and unused floppy discs? All of 170KB per side if I remember correctly. (I think it might be time for a cleanout).

Built a computer based on the 5950x last year. Quite a beast compared to the old machines - some slow programs suddenly became great again. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 10:36:16 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 11:34:45 PM
I live playing older games on more modern PC's.  Games that used to push a high end video card to the limit now run at peak capacity on virtually any budget machine.

Maybe we should start an MTO Unreal Guild?   :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 11:54:58 PM
I live playing older games on more modern PC's.  Games that used to push a high end video card to the limit now run at peak capacity on virtually any budget machine.

Maybe we should start an MTO Unreal Guild?   :D

Def

I wasted lots of time at university with Unreal back in the day. Last shooter I tried was Counterstrike, but apparently my monitor or mouse can't keep up when the going gets fast. (The only alternative is me being slower, and I don't like that alternative.  :ahhh So I prefer blaming my the non-gaming mouse and the 55" TV turned monitor).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 02:49:32 AM
I might still have zip disk upstairs despite not having a zip drive anymore.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 06:56:00 AM
I might still have zip disk upstairs despite not having a zip drive anymore.  :think:

I assume I still have both as I can remember throwing them. Not necessarily in the same place, and certainly no place I remember. By now I don't really miss whatever was on those anyway. And probably all confused magnetics on them by now. Would be interesting to check if I stumble upon them some day.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 12:29:47 PM
I wasted lots of time at university with Unreal back in the day. Last shooter I tried was Counterstrike, but apparently my monitor or mouse can't keep up when the going gets fast. (The only alternative is me being slower, and I don't like that alternative.  :ahhh So I prefer blaming my the non-gaming mouse and the 55" TV turned monitor).

I was always more into RTS than FPS games, and so whenever we played Unreal I was pretty much just a pathetic target during our LAN parties*.

I got sick of that, so, unbeknownst to my friends, I did nothing for a week straight but play Unreal, until I could play it on God Mode and complete maps without losing so much as a health point.

When we got together again I wasn't quite as good as the best player we had, but more than good enough to hold my own against him, and mop the floor with everyone else there!   :D

I was thrilled when UT2004 came out and you could use vehicles!  That was indeed the ultimate!

Def

*LAN parties were how mommies and daddies used to play games together since the internet was not as fast or reliable.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 07:31:32 PM
*LAN parties were how mommies and daddies used to play games together since the internet was not as fast or reliable.

I remember getting a Shuttle barebones with suitable transport bag for a portable computer. That part was actually ok, but you didn't do much with just the portable computer: The issue was the monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables, and so on. I still have traumatic memories of hauling a big CRT monitor around.

Unreal 2004? That was a thing? Must have passed me by. (Those were silly busy years).

Sometimes I think I should take that quite ok Shuttle case and upgrade it. But I don't think the mainboard or power supply followed any standards so it would need some sloppy surgery to make things fit.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 08:39:33 PM
Arrrh the good old days of LAN parties eh. That brings back some memories.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 09:22:44 PM
Arrrh the good old days of LAN parties eh. That brings back some memories.

My View Sonic monitor was super heavy. On the plus side it would keep the whole room warm when chilly outside.
:like:    :MTO:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 12:38:23 PM
So is there any use today for old CRT monitors? Aquarium? Anchor? Electrobeam cannon? Pet house? Hm.. House for the resident stout family? (Might help reduce the fox conflict level. Yes, I have weird issues! :facepalm: )
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 02:24:32 PM
I think the old iMac monitors would make great pet enclosures!

Of course, that's about what I thought of them when they were new too...   :facepalm:

Def

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 08:14:27 PM

I'll make a CRT like a pet enclosure with woodcuts etc, put the mouse inside, and call it art. They say art should be provocative, and I'm sure my wife would be quite provoked if I spent time on that and put it in the living room.  ::) Maybe with a light inside too so it actually has a function. 

(Scrambled mind sidenote: I guess all the screensavers were useless - the CRTs still died off. :think: )
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 08:25:09 PM

Of course, that's about what I thought of them when they were new too...   :facepalm:

Def

Boat anchor
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 08:40:25 PM
Fish tank.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 03:25:36 AM
Awesome build, Millhouse :drool: :like: :like:

I am due a new system as well but mine still does what I need it to, so I guess until it blows up I will have to be satisfied ::) :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%