Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Is The Difference ?

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
What Is The Difference ?
on: December 30, 2021, 04:46:22 AM
What is the difference between the pocket clip used for the Free,P,T & Bond and the clip used for the Free K-series ?

I'm unable to make this determination from any description provided by Leatherman or any pictures of this clip,sold as an accessory,for each of these models respectively.

Is one wider or longer?

Any help would be appreciated.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: What Is The Difference ?
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 04:55:25 AM
I believe the offset is different or the width between where the screws are and the face of the clip is, is wider :think:

I read it in a thread on the Free but forget where exactly now :oops: :D

Offline cnlson

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 04:57:12 AM
It appears that they are one in the same
https://www.leatherman.com/lanyard-ring-pocket-clip-free-bond-623.html

DETAILS
Customize your FREE™ or Bond tool with a Lanyard Ring or Pocket Clip. This kit comes with a lanyard ring, pocket clip, two T6 screws, and a Torx - T6 wrench.

WORKS WITH
FREE™ K2
FREE™ K2X
FREE™ K4
FREE™ K4X
FREE™ P2
FREE™ P4
FREE™ T2
FREE™ T4
Bond®
Curl®

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 05:30:31 AM
I think I read in one of the Free or Bond threads that one comes with longer screws than the other, but the clip itself is the same; someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 05:32:05 AM
I believe the offset is different or the width between where the screws are and the face of the clip is, is wider :think:

I read it in a thread on the Free but forget where exactly now :oops: :D

Thanks Poncho but I need more specific information as I'm going to use this for a project that is not a Leatherman.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 05:36:15 AM
It appears that they are one in the same
https://www.leatherman.com/lanyard-ring-pocket-clip-free-bond-623.html

DETAILS
Customize your FREE™ or Bond tool with a Lanyard Ring or Pocket Clip. This kit comes with a lanyard ring, pocket clip, two T6 screws, and a Torx - T6 wrench.

WORKS WITH
FREE™ K2
FREE™ K2X
FREE™ K4
FREE™ K4X
FREE™ P2
FREE™ P4
FREE™ T2
FREE™ T4
Bond®
Curl®
When ordering this clip from Leatherman they require that you choose between the Free,P,T & Bond or the Free K-Series.

So there must be some difference.Perhaps the difference is with the length of screws as Juan has suggested.

Thanks

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 05:37:19 AM
I think I read in one of the Free or Bond threads that one comes with longer screws than the other, but the clip itself is the same; someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.

Thanks Juan.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 05:41:05 AM
Yes, the screw length is the only difference .

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 05:42:39 AM
Yes, the screw length is the only difference .

Thanks Steve.

Now,which model has the longer screws?

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 05:44:09 AM
There are two different model numbers listed for these clips.

NEW~ Leatherman Pocket Clip & Lanyard Ring, fits Bond & Free P/T-series #934866

NEW~ Leatherman Pocket Clip & Lanyard Ring, fits 'Free' K-series knives #934868

Which one has the longer screws ?  LOL.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 06:51:45 AM
I read Olives' thread and he stated there is a kick on one of the clips.

Fitted the new free (P2 & P4) pocket clip to a few different models.
Supertool, surge, wave to name a few. The P2/P4 pocket clip has a kick at the top to clear the pivot bolt so it can be fitted for deep carry as well on different models.
Just a case of drilling and tapping the handles for the clip screws.

This is confusing because the Surge's head of the pivot bolt is flush with the body.

The search continues.

Offline dmattaponi

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 12:22:11 PM
Thanks Poncho but I need more specific information as I'm going to use this for a project that is not a Leatherman.

So it was just the screws :ahhh I think reply #4 in the above link by dmatt post made by Parnass was what I was remembering :think: :whistle: :D

So what are you working on :pok: :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 01:54:27 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 01:48:31 PM
I wrote that the screws holding the clip on my T4 can interfere when clipping the tool onto thick material, e.g., my jeans pocket.  The pocket clip furnished with my T4 knife multitool is different than the pocket clips for the P2 and P4 pliers multitools.  The P2 and P4 clips have an extra bend and more space between the clip and the screw heads.

I swapped the pocket clips.  The clip with he bend and more clearance fits on my jeans pocket better than the original.

Both style clips are shown below.  The original T4 clip is shown on top..

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like there is a slight difference in shape

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 01:56:04 PM
I edited my above post because dmatt referenced a thread with a link and parnass had made the post I was referencing and after rereading it I saw that I wasn't being clear :whistle: :salute:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 02:09:52 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 09:36:30 PM
So it was just the screws :ahhh I think reply #4 in the above link by dmatt post made by Parnass was what I was remembering :think: :whistle: :D
So what are you working on :pok: :D

It's the screws and the shape of the clip.

The shape of the clip is more important than the screws because the screws are easily obtained.

I want to install this clip on a knife that has a flat bolster and the clip shown at the top of the photo would be more suitable.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%