Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Virtues of the Delemont Collection

maxdog · 38 · 2864

ca Offline maxdog

Virtues of the Delemont Collection
on: December 30, 2021, 06:28:19 PM
In my younger teens I was attracted to pocket knives, and I had a Swiss Army knife.  One day the blade folded on me and gave me a bad cut.  After that experience I swore I'd never use a Swiss Army knife, or any folding pocket knife again with a passion.  I felt they were a piece of *$$#scrap!!!!.  I felt they were accidents waiting to happen.  I only used fixed blade knives after that.

Years later, I got a Victorinox Recruit as a Christmas gift from work.  They gave them to all the employees. I rediscovered the conveniences and some of the virtues of a Swiss Army knife again.  The screwdrivers, can opener, bottle opener, small blade for intricate cutting.  On occasion I needed to cut an apple, and I only had my Recruit on me, and found it handy and useful for cutting apples/fruit.  So I started carrying it again, but the folding main blade was always a point of contention, and I relied on a good fixed blade knife for any heavy duty cutting tasks.  So the SAK was still relegated to a secondary backup knife status for me, when it came to knives. It wasn't a knife for serious cutting tasks as far as I was concerned.

I think Wenger understood the concerns/risks with the folding blade, and offered it's awesome locking blade option in their popular medium sized knives, with the S in the S17 denoting safety.  Kudos for their foresight. So when I discovered the Wenger lives in Victorinox as the Delemont collection with the locking blade option, it restored my faith in SAKs.I've put away my fixed blade, and love having my Victorinox Evolution S17 and S101 as my main knife for all tasks.

I wish Victorinox would replace the Wenger style scissors with the brilliant Victorinox scissors in the Delemont collection.  Then it would be perfection.  I am glad the Victorinox can opener/philipscrewdriver and reamer/awl made it's way into the Delemont collection.  I do prefer those Victorinox tools over what Wenger had. 

I do love the ergonomic scales from Wenger though.  I initially did not like them, but they feel damn great in the hands now after some time with them.  The more compact and lighter 85 mm size of the Delemont Evolution series vs 91 mm medium Victorinox line more than makes up for the slightly wider scales. 

I think the Delemont collection is a value add complement to Victorinox and hope they keep the Delemont collection as a permanent offering.   

Here are my SAKs: From the top, S17, S101, and Recruit.

* My SAKs Dec 2021.jpg (Filesize: 435.95 KB)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 06:46:50 PM by maxdog »

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Re: Virtues of the Delemont Collection
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 07:02:10 PM
I am glad the Victorinox can opener/philipscrewdriver and reamer/awl made it's way into the Delemont collection.
The Victorinox and Wenger cap lifters look similar, but there is a functional difference: the Victorinox has a half-stop, while the Wenger locks. My Evolution 23 has the Wenger type. Did some of the Victorinox Delemont models get the Victorinox type?  :dunno:

Nice collection you have there.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Domino1

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 07:33:11 PM
That is a nice feature of the Delemont line.  I have an older wenger with the lock and I like it. 

In general, I tend to shy away from the Delemont knives.

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 07:56:27 PM
That is a nice SAK owner story, thanks !  :like:

I don't have any Wenger's (yet), but I never felt the need of a locking blade. I do like the option tho, maybe my opinion will change once I get my first one !
I do read that the lock button catch stuff in pockets tho.

ca Offline maxdog

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 09:53:42 AM
That is a nice SAK owner story, thanks !  :like:

I don't have any Wenger's (yet), but I never felt the need of a locking blade. I do like the option tho, maybe my opinion will change once I get my first one !
I do read that the lock button catch stuff in pockets tho.
Thanks.  The lock button hasn't been much of a problem for me.  I got a pocket clip for that very reason that works great with my S17, but sometimes it just sits in my pocket without the use of the pocket clip with keys and pen pouch and it hasn't really caused me any grief catching on things.  People also said it becomes a hot spot in your hand, but I let the button sit in between my fingers and I don't notice it at all.  You get use to it like the corkscrew.  On a positive side, I can unlock the blade with my thumb, and the halfstop enables me to move my thumb out of the way and push the blade closed with my index finger for a smooth one hand closure operation. 

ca Offline maxdog

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 08:34:54 PM
The Victorinox and Wenger cap lifters look similar, but there is a functional difference: the Victorinox has a half-stop, while the Wenger locks. My Evolution 23 has the Wenger type. Did some of the Victorinox Delemont models get the Victorinox type?  :dunno:

Nice collection you have there.

Thanks.  The cap lifter on both my S17 and S101 are the Wenger type with auto locking feature and no half stop.  I can use the cap lifter at the half way position, and it's fully practical, as it will hold there, but it doesn't have the satisfying half stop of the Victorinox.  The auto locking capability is very innovative and adds a level of safety and confidence when you need to press down on a stubborn screw.

My most recent SAK acquisition is the Evolutions S101 which is basically the Spartan or Tourist with locking main blade.  If you like a 2 layer Victorinox, I highly recommend the S101 which is so compact and light.  It disappears in my pocket.  I have the safety confidence of a fixed blade at 85 mm without having to opt for one of the larger locking blade Victorinox in the 111 mm size. 

In these comparison photos of the S101 and S17 with the Spartan and Huntsman, the extra width of the Evolution contoured grip is quite minimal I think, and the shorter length of 85 mm vs 91 mm more significant. 

BTW, the S101 I think was discontinued by Victorinox as I don't see it at the Victorinox website, but they are available new on EBAY and Amazon and other online retailers in the $30 to $40 USD range. 

Size comparison:
Evolution S101 vs Spartan
Evolution S17 vs Huntsman
The Delemonts are noticeably lighter than their Victorinox counterparts.

* Delemont size comparison 1.jpg (Filesize: 312.04 KB)

* Delemont size comparison 2.jpg (Filesize: 380.75 KB)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 08:48:16 PM by maxdog »

ca Offline maxdog

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 08:42:55 PM
Spartan (top) and Evolution S101 (bottom) blade comparison

* Delemont size comparison 3.jpg (Filesize: 360.95 KB)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 08:49:13 PM by maxdog »

au Offline Echotech

Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 02:08:03 AM
Great comparisons Maxdog :tu: :like:

I’m a big fan of the 85mm range as you know, in my case particularly the 14, 17 and 18, with the Evo 14 not being that far off a Cadet X IMO…yes the scales make it wider but like you, I also like the extra grip they bring and it goes unnoticed in the pocket

Also a fan of the 130mm Rangerwood 55, and the 65mm Wenger classic.  Much has been written about the scissors, like most others I prefer the Vic ones but the Delemonts work pretty well still

I for one hope that Vic continue to offer them as an alternative

:cheers:

fr Offline Lemonizer

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 05:39:04 PM
I admit that the auto locking feature of the cap lifter is really nice, and as I'm growing love for smaller SAK's, I might get a 2-3 layer wenger !
But the list is already long !  :rofl:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 09:12:17 PM
Thanks.  The lock button hasn't been much of a problem for me.  I got a pocket clip for that very reason that works great with my S17, but sometimes it just sits in my pocket without the use of the pocket clip with keys and pen pouch and it hasn't really caused me any grief catching on things.  People also said it becomes a hot spot in your hand, but I let the button sit in between my fingers and I don't notice it at all.  You get use to it like the corkscrew.  On a positive side, I can unlock the blade with my thumb, and the halfstop enables me to move my thumb out of the way and push the blade closed with my index finger for a smooth one hand closure operation.

I like the S101 for the contoured scales and small blade but have been put off by the lock release annoying my first finger: I have a Wenger with a locking blade and the same release and haven’t liked it. I’m going to go ahead and buy one now thanks to your tip.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 06:04:38 PM

I like the S101 for the contoured scales and small blade but have been put off by the lock release annoying my first finger: I have a Wenger with a locking blade and the same release and haven’t liked it. I’m going to go ahead and buy one now thanks to your tip.

I’m relatively ‘new’ to Wengers/Delèmont knives and while the lock position doesn’t bother me yet, I am a bit wary that it is unfortunately in the perfect place to accidentally squeeze and release it during use. I just figure as long as I treat the blade use as a regular folder, that I will not have any unfortunate mishaps.  :dunno:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline maxdog

Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 07:06:24 AM
The lock button always sits in between my fingers when I grip the knife so has never been a concern.   The lock release button is quite stiff and would require deliberate pressure to unlock the blade, not unlike the Victorinox cross symbol lock release button on the side of the 111 mm SAKs where the thumb rests.  I don't feel there is a risk of unintentional unlocking of the blade, the lock button is very stiff. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 09:54:44 AM by maxdog »

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 09:10:37 PM
My S101 arrived yesterday. I bought it to accomodate worsening arthritis in my middle finger that, when it flares up, makes holding a Tourist or Spartan difficult and painful. A three layer Vic improves things greatly, but my Evolution 14 Wood is very comfortable to hold and is lighter. I wanted to try a thinner Delemont with a small blade.

The S101 is definitely more comfortable to hold than a Vic two layer knife, although the 14 is naturally more so. It’s very light, and as with the 14 the thicker back scale makes the corkscrew less obvious in the hand. The rubber parts of the scales do make for a secure grip. I’m keen to see how my bad finger gets on with it.

I didn’t want a locking blade but I think I’ll get on with this one. The release button isn’t too obtrusive and I like the “half” stop. I’ve been bitten a couple of times when snapping blades shut and already I wish all knives had this feature. The lock actually encourages safer closing.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 02:17:25 AM
The lock button always sits in between my fingers when I grip the knife so has never been a concern.   The lock release button is quite stiff and would require deliberate pressure to unlock the blade, not unlike the Victorinox cross symbol lock release button on the side of the 111 mm SAKs where the thumb rests.  I don't feel there is a risk of unintentional unlocking of the blade, the lock button is very stiff.

In pretty casual use I’ve found that I am squeezing it enough to release it. Like pushing thru double-wall cardboard. No incidents yet, but I’m definitely not relying on the lock whatsoever while in use. I’m right handed, FWIW.

And none of my 111mm Vics have a push button release. Maybe you mean 130mm? I only use one and I can confirm that I’d never accidentally released it. The button takes thumb tip or finger tip pressure to unlock. In use, with the thumb on the button the area under the thumbs knuckle is on it. Can’t release it that way even if I try. Normally, my thumb is on top near the jimping. Zero chance that way.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 03:23:08 AM
In pretty casual use I’ve found that I am squeezing it enough to release it. Like pushing thru double-wall cardboard. No incidents yet, but I’m definitely not relying on the lock whatsoever while in use. I’m right handed, FWIW.

Perhaps reduce your finger grip? The lock release on both my locking 85mm knives is stiff enough that when I hold the knife with the blade open in normal use, it takes serious death grip finger pressure to release it. I stand no chance at all of releasing the blade accidentally if I have the release between my index and middle fingers, as maxdog advises; and the knife's more comfortable to hold.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 03:29:50 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 11:33:05 PM
Perhaps reduce your finger grip? The lock release on both my locking 85mm knives is stiff enough that when I hold the knife with the blade open in normal use, it takes serious death grip finger pressure to release it. I stand no chance at all of releasing the blade accidentally if I have the release between my index and middle fingers, as maxdog advises; and the knife's more comfortable to hold.

As sharp as I made the blade, there’s still no reducing the grip to push it through heavier materials. I’m not talking about opening my mail. Cutting down boxes and handling double wall stuff are reasons I’d choose a locking blade in the first place. I just don’t agree that it’s a suitable lock location for my use. I’m not ditching the knife or pulling it from rotation just yet. It’s just a big negative to me.

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #16 on: January 10, 2022, 12:21:30 AM
Maxdog it would be great if you wanted to add your side-by-side photos over in the linked thread.  :tu:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71217.0.html
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #17 on: January 11, 2022, 07:02:03 AM
As sharp as I made the blade, there’s still no reducing the grip to push it through heavier materials. I’m not talking about opening my mail. Cutting down boxes and handling double wall stuff are reasons I’d choose a locking blade in the first place. I just don’t agree that it’s a suitable lock location for my use. I’m not ditching the knife or pulling it from rotation just yet. It’s just a big negative to me.

I have to cut down regular & double thickness corrugated cardboard at work. I find the thinner the blade the better so I normally go for a heavy duty boxcutter. For double wall I make at least a couple of swipes - often more. If I must use an SAK the small blade works best. A 58mm blade works for thin cardboard and single layer corrugated if you’re careful & patient.

Steady, relatively light pressure keeps the cardboard from bunching up on the blade’s edge.

Cardboard is rough on knives. The only advantage to it is that you can use the material you’re cutting to strop the edge!
Rambler

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #18 on: January 11, 2022, 12:33:56 PM
The more I read this thread, the more I want to get a locking Delemont, just to see if it will work for my large hands...!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 08:05:01 PM
I have to cut down regular & double thickness corrugated cardboard at work. I find the thinner the blade the better so I normally go for a heavy duty boxcutter. For double wall I make at least a couple of swipes - often more. If I must use an SAK the small blade works best. A 58mm blade works for thin cardboard and single layer corrugated if you’re careful & patient.

Steady, relatively light pressure keeps the cardboard from bunching up on the blade’s edge.

Cardboard is rough on knives. The only advantage to it is that you can use the material you’re cutting to strop the edge!

I carry SAKs and will use SAKs. I’ve heard the box cutter argument before. I just won’t bother to get one. Mostly because I don’t really think they’re better for the task. A blade with a ‘belly’ is way better when slicing to make a fold or crease. My 84mm SBX (serrated bantam X) push cuts double wall cardboard like butter. Slices nice straight cuts with ease. Can’t say that about box cutters with the tip retracted a bit. The S18 isn’t quite that sharp but needs grip to resist the torque of push cutting mid blade. Today, I’d still choose the S18 over a box cutter. Maybe the lock will be less of an issue for me if I sharpen it a bit more.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2022, 08:06:34 PM
The more I read this thread, the more I want to get a locking Delemont, just to see if it will work for my large hands...!

Do it.  :pok:

You know you were looking for a push.  ;)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #21 on: January 12, 2022, 12:37:31 PM
I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and this is what I got with it.

20220112_062709A by Chako, on Flickr
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #22 on: January 13, 2022, 12:13:47 AM
 :like: Makes me want to fire up a cigar...
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #23 on: April 14, 2022, 12:19:17 PM
I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and this is what I got with it.

20220112_062709A by Chako, on Flickr

It's a cigar circumcisioner!

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #24 on: April 14, 2022, 08:09:07 PM
 Many (most?) of the Delemonts have a nail file in place of the small blade.  If like me you are very much in favor of nail files this is a good thing.  I have an S101, which, unfortunately doesn't have the nail file.  Question to those of you who own Delemonts with nail file in place of small blade: what kind of file do they have?  Is it that stippled surface type or do they have a file with cut, linear ridges?

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #25 on: April 15, 2022, 03:49:55 AM
Is it that stippled surface type or do they have a file with cut, linear ridges?
It's the stipple, I'm afraid, like you get on a Classic.
I really do like having the nail file instead of a small blade, with pointed tip for nail cleaning and small Phillips screws. Just a shame that the only really decent nail file is the type found on the Executive.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #26 on: April 15, 2022, 04:07:47 AM
I really do like having the nail file instead of a small blade, with pointed tip for nail cleaning and small Phillips screws. Just a shame that the only really decent nail file is the type found on the Executive.

Thanks, Tasky.  I was considering picking up one of those Delemonts with the nail file in place of the small blade such as evolution 10, 11, 14 etc but I guess maybe not.  So far the best files I've found have been the Cadet, Sportsman, and Executive (which all had a very similar surface on recently purchased examples).  I am also considering a long file such as the Mountaineer.  Too bad about the Delemonts, though I like the series.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #27 on: April 15, 2022, 04:23:58 AM
My first SAK, a Tinker I was given back in the mid sixties, had the same kind of cut file as the Executive on the side of the philips driver in the back tools.  I wish the Delemonts used the cut file.  If you are going to give a nail file pride of place opposite the large blade, shouldn't it be a really nice file?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 15, 2022, 04:34:21 AM

While the Exec's is nice, I think the Cadet file is pretty solid. Not quite as large, but just as good of a texture.

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #29 on: April 15, 2022, 04:57:45 AM
Thanks, Tasky.  I was considering picking up one of those Delemonts with the nail file in place of the small blade such as evolution 10, 11, 14 etc but I guess maybe not.  So far the best files I've found have been the Cadet, Sportsman, and Executive (which all had a very similar surface on recently purchased examples).  I am also considering a long file such as the Mountaineer.  Too bad about the Delemonts, though I like the series.
It still works well enough, though... about as good as any other commercial nail file, and certainly no reason to pass on the Delémonts. It's one of my favourite features on the Evolution S557.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%