Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Skipper. 692

No Life Club Posts: 3,210
Victorinox Skipper.
« on: April 09, 2022, 08:13:53 AM »
Anybody use a 111mm Skipper?

I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings
No Life Club Posts: 2,314
Re: Victorinox Skipper.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 05:57:17 PM »
I’ve thought about it, as I feel like a marlin spike is a very handy and often-underrated tool to have, but the Skipper and Skipper Pro are just too heavy and bulky for me to want to EDC one.
No Life Club Posts: 1,891
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 06:08:56 PM »
Same here.  I'm attracted to the Skipper tool set's utility, but invariably my 111 mm SAKs live in their drawer until I need one for a specific purpose.  The exception is my cheese SAK, which I use nearly every day, for cheese of course.  But I still don't carry it in my pocket.  :)
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,341
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 06:17:22 PM »
It's a neat model, but there are other options. I looked into one shortly, but I found it expensive. The Skipper Pro is very thick and bulky due to its inline 3D marlinspike.

There are a lot of marlinspike knives that are less than $20 that do the job better. I have a Titan Tools that is a copy of the old Camillus and Schrade rigging knives, as well as a pair of Italian Army surplus knives. Both Italian Army Knives were sold as a pair for $15, and the Titan was $20. These have gotten all sorts of unholy messes out of rope. The thick sheepsfoot blades can also take on all matter of heavy cutting.
Sr. Member Posts: 361 Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 06:33:29 PM »
I might get one for the collection. I always wondered why the Pro had the 3D marlinspike but comparatively fewer tools, while the standard Skipper had all the extras... perhaps to make up for the weird shackle key/spike version?
I'd love to have a 91mm with the older marlinspike/sacking needle sort of tool. Probably considered too dangerous nowadays!
No Life Club Posts: 2,492 Learn to swim...
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 06:38:15 PM »
I take my Skipper on our annual trip to the beach.  Mostly because it seems like an appropriate excuse to take it out of the knife drawer.   I find it to be an interesting model, I love the 111mm serrated blade, and I find the blue scales to be rather beautiful  :2tu:
No Life Club Posts: 2,460
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 08:24:53 PM »
The Skipper is designed with sailing in mind. Being that I was a Sailor, I'd like to get one for the collection. I doubt I'd have much opportunity to try out the marlinspike for its intended purpose, though I concur with Cody's findings on the old Camillus and Schrade rigger's knives. I used to have a Case rigger's knife, and it was a stout little beast.

Enough multi-tools? Ain't no such thing as enough multi-tools!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,224 Τετραφάρμακος
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 08:46:39 PM »
I EDC a long (same length to a Parker Jotter) sacking needle for knots. Most knots involve SAKs btw.
I consider a German Bund Navy knife at 15.50€ instead of a 80€ Victorinox, sometime. Or a British Navy. More original since, as far as I know, blue water Swiss Navy never existed.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

No Life Club Posts: 3,210
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 09:09:09 PM »
I was looking at the regular Skipper. I used to have a Vic OH Soldier but like having an actual Philips head instead of the one on the back. That's what caught my attention about the regular Skipper. The pliers and combo serrated blade don't hurt either

I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings
Sr. Member Posts: 484
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 05:42:31 PM »
I EDC a long (same length to a Parker Jotter) sacking needle for knots. Most knots involve SAKs btw.
I consider a German Bund Navy knife at 15.50€ instead of a 80€ Victorinox, sometime. Or a British Navy. More original since, as far as I know, blue water Swiss Navy never existed. (Image removed from quote.)

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
I came across that German sailor knife on the American Science and Surplus website for $30 plus shipping. It looks like a solid, well-made knife (I would expect nothing less from Germany), but I have yet to encounter a situation requiring a marlinespike in my landlubber life. A SAK corkscrew is generally enough marlinespike for the size of knots that I encounter.

Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!
No Life Club Posts: 3,370
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 12:50:21 AM »
I bought one years ago when my boys were doing paracord work.

The spike is real handy for undoing knots and the blade works well for cutting paracord.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 05:19:58 AM »
I have yet to encounter a situation requiring a marlinespike in my landlubber life.

Clearly, you have not been camping with a bunch of teenage Scouts :rofl:
OCD Squad Leader Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,926
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 10:18:27 AM »
As the others said, too big. Not even using mine at home (I actually use a Vargo titanium tent peg, which works really well. Or if you want to spend less, just use a knitting needle.).

Alternatives are the alox knives from Vic with marlin spike (if you can find one).
In Switzerland we have the so called "Bauernmesser" (Farmers knife), no idea what that pattern is called in English (but see image). those are great for knot work.

* T-103.jpg (Filesize: 41.12 KB)

* 01076000__Klotzli_Bauernmesser_Bueffelhorn_Ahle_offen.jpg (Filesize: 117.83 KB)
41.12 KB | 1024x1024 117.83 KB | 833x600

Emergency Kit: Ovo Sport, chocolate, cheese, crispbread and a coin
OCD Squad Leader Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,926
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2022, 10:22:14 AM »
Oh and the British Army knife also has a (or several) model(s) with marlin spike, maybe have a look at them.

Emergency Kit: Ovo Sport, chocolate, cheese, crispbread and a coin
Sr. Member Posts: 361 Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2022, 06:55:08 PM »
Oh and the British Army knife also has a (or several) model(s) with marlin spike, maybe have a look at them.
I can definitely vouch for that marlinspike... but if it's the model of clasp knife actually issued in the Army, you might want to pass. Many find it very uncomfortable in the hand!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 04:43:57 AM »
We actually have a whole separate thread on marlin spikes…

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=75113
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 27,510
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2022, 03:39:41 PM »
That tent spike option is a good one  :tu:.  I have a Helmsman and while nice SAK I don't do enough to "need" a marlin spike.   

Esse Quam Videri
Sr. Member Posts: 380
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 04:24:18 PM »
Mine lives in the kitchen drawer. The unique selection of tools is sometimes useful to have around.

I sometimes use the the marlin spike to untie stubborn knots in nylon straps or ski rope.

Hans

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $322.88
PayPal Fees: $18.38
Net Balance: $304.50
Above Goal: $4.50
Site Currency: USD