Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GSM Outdoors Acquires SOG Knives

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
GSM Outdoors Acquires SOG Knives
on: December 31, 2021, 02:50:56 AM
https://knifenews.com/gsm-outdoors-acquires-sog-knives/

GSM Outdoors is the same company that acquired Cold Steel around this time last year. When that acquisition took place, Cold Steel’s California HQ was shut down, with only select employees making the jump to GSM’s operations in Irving, TX. At that time, we were told that Lynn C. Thompson and Andrew Demko were among the personnel retained; however, Demko struck off on his own in the ensuing months.

GSM Outdoors owns dozens of brands, most of which are centered around hunting accessories. Cold Steel was the first knife brand in their portfolio, in an avowed effort to break into the knife space – a move they evidently wanted to follow up on this year. Eddie Castro, CEO of GSM Outdoors, had this to say about the purchase:

Since 1986, SOG has been synonymous with austere-duty knives intended to meet the needs of defense professionals. The name is instantly recognized by military, first responders, and blade enthusiasts for their high-quality craftsmanship and reliable performance. Our acquisition of SOG represents an important expansion of the GSM family of brands, and we look forward to not only keeping the high-quality standards intact but also taking the brand to the next level of consumer support and product innovation.

It has been quite a journey for SOG. In 2020 they refreshed their brand with updated versions of core products that put their XR Lock front and center. Shortly after that, founder Spencer Frazer retired, passing the reins to Joe McSwiney and the rest of SOG management. Just a couple months ago, SOG showed off some 2022 products, including a multitool based on the popular Flash folding knife chassis.
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: GSM Outdoors Acquires SOG Knives
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 06:28:21 AM
Despite initial worries they have not messed up CS, so hopefully they will improve SOG quality
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 09:42:09 PM
Hopefully it will be good for SOG and not detrimental :ahhh We will see in time :salute:

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 02:04:29 AM
Whatever happens, as long as their production facilities stay in mainland China, I’ll expect knockoffs or backdoor products being sold in Ali, ebay, lazda, shopee, etc. 

The patent for compound leverage has expired already, right?  Maybe an upcoming NextTool or Xiaomi sub-brand will soon have SOG-based implements and eventually have a compound leverage pliers model.

Can’t they just move to Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand? (don’t bother with the Philippines)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 08:11:31 AM
LM is made in the US and we still see copies
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 10:19:24 AM
LM is made in the US and we still see copies
I think the difference is that some of the Chinese copies come from the same factory as the original (most likely made on the same machines with the original plans). E.g. The Sanremu version of the Boker City Tool are exactly the same (except the scales are not contoured). China has very loose copyright laws, so that is legal there (though I suspect this will change in the long run, as they are starting to produce goods that others deem worthy of copying).

P.S.: Taiwan has even less of copyright protection than China (only goods made in Taiwan are protected).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 06:59:04 PM
 :think:
Message to self..
Stay away from new SOG’s

I’ll take the original or go without.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%