Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock lock reliability

Dunc · 4 · 2596

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Powerlock lock reliability
on: December 02, 2021, 10:34:56 AM
Hi everyone , I recently got myself a Powerlock with the V-Blade , I’m not new to SOG multitools but I havnt owned one for many years. It’s brand new and has the torx construction handle bolts. On the whole I’m pleased with it but I’m finding the locks on the handle tools a little lacking , a lot of the tools will override the lock if moderate pressure is applied to the spine. To be fair the saw and file are the worst culprits and I can’t think of a scenario where you would but a lot of pressure on the spine of either of them , the blade locks up pretty good and will only override the lock with a sharp tap on the spine on a hard surface. I could send it back but to be honest I don’t think it’s a quality issue as I can’t see anything wrong or any dirt or debris in the locks and it does it on tools in both handles. I think I’m just going to use it and see if any fail during use. Most of the time your thumb sits on the lock lever  while using it anyway so this prevents it from lifting.

Just wondered if this is something other Powelock owners have experienced.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Powerlock lock reliability
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 04:14:59 PM
Can't say i've seen that in person; although i've heard of it.

Have you given it a good cleaning? WD-40  & a toothbrush for the cleaning, followed up with a couple drops of lube may help.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 12:50:24 PM
Can't say i've seen that in person; although i've heard of it.

Have you given it a good cleaning? WD-40  & a toothbrush for the cleaning, followed up with a couple drops of lube may help.

Everything is spotless on the tool , I even looked over it with a magnifying glass and can’t visually see anything wrong. Kind of makes a bit of a joke out of the whole Powerlock name

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 03:54:21 AM
Hi everyone , I recently got myself a Powerlock with the V-Blade , I’m not new to SOG multitools but I havnt owned one for many years. It’s brand new and has the torx construction handle bolts. On the whole I’m pleased with it but I’m finding the locks on the handle tools a little lacking , a lot of the tools will override the lock if moderate pressure is applied to the spine. To be fair the saw and file are the worst culprits and I can’t think of a scenario where you would but a lot of pressure on the spine of either of them , the blade locks up pretty good and will only override the lock with a sharp tap on the spine on a hard surface. I could send it back but to be honest I don’t think it’s a quality issue as I can’t see anything wrong or any dirt or debris in the locks and it does it on tools in both handles. I think I’m just going to use it and see if any fail during use. Most of the time your thumb sits on the lock lever  while using it anyway so this prevents it from lifting.

Just wondered if this is something other Powelock owners have experienced.

It's been a while since I've owned a PowerLock but if I remember right that was one of the reasons I moved it along.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%