Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cheap Second-Hand Find

Qubit · 19 · 2815

gb Offline Qubit

Cheap Second-Hand Find
on: September 21, 2021, 03:01:34 PM

Bought this (unknown make) locally on a whim as it had some Victorinox style scissors and a proper 1/4" bit adapter .  It appears to be a super tool size Leatherman clone of sorts.  Had some issues when I got it but sorted most of those.  Lose/rattles when closed, small adjustment(aka bending a piece of retaining metal piece in each side to better fit the pliers). Re-ordered the tools.  Blade was blunt, sharpened up nicely, probably too soft to be 420hc. 

Tools open on the outside (not one hand though)  Think I'll keep this in the car with a small bit set 👍.  Overall this is actually pretty decent.  It opens and closes nicer than my rebar i recently bought (frankly awful).   Worst thing about it is the wire cutters failed to cut through some fairly heavy duty steel wire every time. 

I even like the ruler on the outside which is more legible than most!    Overall pretty decent pick up.   I always seem to enjoy saving/improving lost causes.  In a previous life I worked on watches (still do my own) and enjoyed saving and wearing those otherwise written off.   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:11:49 PM by Qubit »

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Cheap Second-Hand Find
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 12:41:15 AM
That looks interesting. I don't know about the quality of the tools, but those are the type of tools I like in a MT.

Offline Hvac budget

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 02:06:22 AM
Nice find!  The 1/4 bit holder reminds me of a coast multitool I have.  I believe Sheffiel had a multitool with one too I was looking at on ebay.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 10:43:43 AM
That looks like a Bear and Son Bear Jaws look-a-alike, but with better quality and tool-set. Nice awl, and bit driver. If the scissors are half-decent then it's worth it. :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 11:30:41 PM
Looks like one I had that was marked 2CR, which I believe was the factory that made it.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 03:15:42 AM
Looks like one I had that was marked 2CR, which I believe was the factory that made it.

I thought 2CR was supposed to be a grade of SS (and given the price of the many, many cheap tools made with it, possibly not a particularly good grade of SS  ?  )

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalworking/comments/5qv3ob/what_is_2cr_stainless_steel/
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Qubit

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 03:33:43 PM
That looks like a Bear and Son Bear Jaws look-a-alike, but with better quality and tool-set. Nice awl, and bit driver. If the scissors are half-decent then it's worth it. :cheers:
Looking at some images of a Bear and Son Bear Jaws I think you're on to something, certainly similar look.   Scissors are very close to a recent Victorinox pocket knife I purchased new so pretty decent.   :D

gb Offline Qubit

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 03:37:47 PM
Cant see any markings indicating the quality of steel used.   I wouldn't expect too much as its clearly not a known make using quality steel like 420hc. 

Offline mikekoz

Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 09:18:15 PM
   I have two multitools that look almost just like that. I bought them at a gas station years ago. Maybe 10-15 years?? Anyway, the ones I have also have no brand name, but they have a ruler on both sides and the awl is not as long. They are not bad for what I paid for them. I think they were around $15.00 and came with a sheath and several driver bits. I may post a photo when I get home if there is any interest.

gb Offline Qubit

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 09:31:10 PM
   I have two multitools that look almost just like that. I bought them at a gas station years ago. Maybe 10-15 years?? Anyway, the ones I have also have no brand name, but they have a ruler on both sides and the awl is not as long. They are not bad for what I paid for them. I think they were around $15.00 and came with a sheath and several driver bits. I may post a photo when I get home if there is any interest.

Apologies, I missed your reply.  That's certainly interesting, unfortunately I didn't get a sheath or bits with mine!  Would certainly be interested to see any photos to see how they compare.  I guess as they appear unbranded they may have been mass produced in one factory and sold in many places. 

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 08:47:24 PM
The logo seen on the blade and the handle, is like the one used by True Utility; sadly, I was unable to find  in its product line a tool similar to yours. Stil, I think it's a good find!

gb Offline Qubit

Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 10:00:55 PM
The logo seen on the blade and the handle, is like the one used by True Utility; sadly, I was unable to find  in its product line a tool similar to yours. Stil, I think it's a good find!

Good spot!  Did wonder if someone might recognise the logo.    Yeh it seems a good match but nothing seems to show up in searches so far.   Overall it wasn't expensive and certainly interesting to have!   cheers  :cheers:

gb Offline Qubit

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 10:22:07 PM
 :tu:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 02:22:16 AM
There appears to be one available on French ebay, and the there is a Hungarian website that has one. I will have to keep checking to see if one shows up on this side of the Atlantic.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 12:50:00 PM
@Qubit, what did you use to disassemble the tool? Would pliers suffice?

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 08:40:52 PM
I'd rather have a wood saw over the scissors but otherwise, that is a great selection of tools.

si Offline altered.ego

Reply #17 on: February 19, 2022, 05:58:48 PM
Bingo - https://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Utility-TU02-Silver-Version/dp/B000YH87G8

While they both seem to be made by True Utility, they're not the same tool - the one on Amazon has tools on the inside and it has the TU logo on the same side as the blade. ;)

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #18 on: February 20, 2022, 06:27:50 AM
While they both seem to be made by True Utility, they're not the same tool - the one on Amazon has tools on the inside and it has the TU logo on the same side as the blade. ;)

GOOD POINT

The one with the outside opening tools would be far more desirable (at least to me)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%