Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM (New) Wave/Charge form factor & platform: evolution in conception & design

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Hello, I'd like to try to find out the incremental design/conception updates made by LM over the years on the New Wave/Charge platform

We kinda started with SteveC by discussing about the weight of these :
(I'll try to keep OP updated with new infos)

Charge Ti:
-

Charge XTi:
- 2004: 228g/8.04oz

Charge TTi:
-

Charge + TTi:
- 2019: 251g/8.85oz

Charge AL:
-

Charge ALX:
-

Charge + G10:
-

New Wave:
- 2013 : 244g/8.61g

New Wave +:
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
The Ti was in 2004 and probably a very similar weight to the XTi :think:

There is also a regular Charge Plus besides the TTi Plus :tu:

The TTi,  AL and ALx were introduced in either very late 2007 or early 2008 :think:

And if you are inclined to do so, the OG Wave it was introduced in 1998 :salute:

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
A bit of trivia: the OG Wave protypes were originally called the Deluxe Tool during its design process.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 03:03:23 AM by genevabuck »

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Thank you both ,
I consider OG wave like a whole different tool, but you are right it shares quite the same platform and is the start of the journey!

looks like I cannot edit OP  ???

btw, here is a first update of the list, the years original written where the manufacturing year of the specific weighed tool, and not the introduction year, the following list tried to put both when known :
tomorrow, I'll try to start to list spotted differences in the models I own (the metal spring piece that locks blades shot where using pliers and helps closing the pliers head when folding the MT changed quite a lot other the years and it may well be one of the the cause of weight increase + the changes in build process for the charge (I am looking for an early "new design" Charge, but I think that the transition from cast titanium to steel washers is very recent)

OG Wave (1998 > 2004):
-

New Wave (2004 > 2018):
- 2013 : 244g/8.61g

Charge Ti (2004 > 2007/8):
-

Charge XTi (2004 > 2007/8):
- 2004: 228g/8.04oz

Charge TTi (2007/8  >  2018):
-

Charge AL (2007/8  >  2018):
-

Charge ALX (2007/8  >  2018):
-

New Wave + (2018 > ):
-

Charge + (2018 >  ):
-

Charge + TTi (2018 >  ):
- 2019: 251g/8.85oz

Charge + G10 (?):
-

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
I have a Charge SLV. Not sure which year it came out.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
If you want, I can edit all the info in on the first post as it progresses :salute:

Let me know and I will go ahead with whatever and whenever you want it updated :tu:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
I have a Charge SLV. Not sure which year it came out.
Is the SLV a kind of AL? either way, if you you can weigh it, and give the manufacturing date, please do :)

If you want, I can edit all the info in on the first post as it progresses :salute:

Let me know and I will go ahead with whatever and whenever you want it updated :tu:

thank you ! I'll tell you when I have more data to add :)

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Is the SLV a kind of AL? either way, if you you can weigh it, and give the manufacturing date, please do :)

thank you ! I'll tell you when I have more data to add :)

The SLV is an AL that has gray/silver scales. I don’t have a scale but it would weigh the same as an AL.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
TTi   0807 1107   236g/8.25oz  Wave   0617 0917    242g/8.47oz     Charge+  1018    238g/8.40oz   BO Wave 1213  244g/8.61oz

Original Wave  0699  223g/7.87oz

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Thank you SteveC

OG Wave (1998 > 2004):
- y1999 (0699):  223g/7.87oz

New Wave (2004 > 2018):
- y2013 (0113/0113): 244g/8.61oz
- y2013 (1213): 244g/8.61oz Rq: BO Wave
- y2017 (0617/0917):  242g/8.47oz
- y2017 (51217/61917): 240g/8.47oz Rq: BO Wave

Charge Ti (2004 > 2007/8):
-

Charge XTi (2004 > 2007/8):
- y2004 (0704/1104): 228g/8.04oz ==> need to reweigh it, I'm not sure both bits where in

- y2007 (0807/1107):  236g/8.25oz

Charge AL (2007/8  >  2018):
-

Charge ALX (2007/8  >  2018):
-

New Wave + (2018 > ):
-

Charge + (2018 >  ):
- y2018 (1018): 238g/8.40oz

Charge + TTi (2018 >  ):
- y2019 (012919): 251g/8.85oz

Charge + G10 (?):
-

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Charge G10 Weight: 8.0 oz | 226 g :cheers:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
I didn't noticed until today that LM Charge XTi has the same "5 legs" star screws  2 standard T10H screws like OG Wave instead of all T10H security Torx screws like newer Wave and Charge  :facepalm:
(don't ask how I found out. :facepalm:)

btw here are pics from top to bottom :
2004 Charge XTi
2008 Charge frame branch
2019 Charge+ TTi

Pat Pend is only there on the 2004, the groove is shorter on later versions. On the 2019 Charge + TTi, the steel looks a little thinner, and the bent steel around the lock is rougher.

* backOfCharge.jpg (Filesize: 138.79 KB)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
The "peg" that helps closing  the pliers head isn't made of the same part on newer models :
On older ones the "peg" is built from the spring that lock blades closed when pliers are open,  the newer ones have the peg built from the spring that locks tools open, that newer one is much beefier !
the change occurred between 2008 and 2013 based on the models I got (the single Frame from 2008 and the 2013 Wave)

* internals.jpg (Filesize: 153.13 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
The peg had a redesign due to it bending to easily and causing the pliers to get stuck inside the handles :ahhh The redesign was around 07 or 08 as you put above, it was similar to a recall and they would send a new tool out even if you sent it in for a different problem via warranty :salute:

Good info :tu: never noticed the groove being different :like:

I just checked and I have a Ti with Pat Pend on it as well that is from 0205 0305 :cheers:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
The peg had a redesign due to it bending to easily and causing the pliers to get stuck inside the handles :ahhh The redesign was around 07 or 08 as you put above, it was similar to a recall and they would send a new tool out even if you sent it in for a different problem via warranty :salute:

Good info :tu: never noticed the groove being different :like:

I just checked and I have a Ti with Pat Pend on it as well that is from 0205 0305 :cheers:

Thank you for the info, I got my XTi with one peg already broken, looks like a real design flaw ! good they fixed it and replaced these :)

us Offline hsherzfeld

Thank you for the info, I got my XTi with one peg already broken, looks like a real design flaw ! good they fixed it and replaced these :)
From a modding standpoint, I sort of wish they had stuck with the flimsy peg. The peg limits the length of the tool in the middle position. For instance, I would like to be able to remove the mini bit driver, shift the flat driver to the center position, and install a Rebar awl in the left position. That peg interferes with the flat driver in that position.

The Curl (which has all interchangeable tools with the post-2004 Wave/Charge series) doesn't even have the peg in the handle side that contains the awl, flat driver, and scissors because the pliers rest on the flat driver instead.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I know the Signal is not the most popular LM, but considering that they added a small-, inside-tool (awl) to the large outside slot (main-blade) should be considered an evolution on that frame too.
I actually hope it is not an evolutionary dead-end, I'm still pining for a "full-sized" Signal with 4 outside-tools.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
From a modding standpoint, I sort of wish they had stuck with the flimsy peg. The peg limits the length of the tool in the middle position. For instance, I would like to be able to remove the mini bit driver, shift the flat driver to the center position, and install a Rebar awl in the left position. That peg interferes with the flat driver in that position.

The Curl (which has all interchangeable tools with the post-2004 Wave/Charge series) doesn't even have the peg in the handle side that contains the awl, flat driver, and scissors because the pliers rest on the flat driver instead.

Too bad you are on the "wrong" side of the ocean, I could send you my frame with broken peg  :mail:

(btw, I wish the curl had locking tools)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
I know the Signal is not the most popular LM, but considering that they added a small-, inside-tool (awl) to the large outside slot (main-blade) should be considered an evolution on that frame too.
I actually hope it is not an evolutionary dead-end, I'm still pining for a "full-sized" Signal with 4 outside-tools.
I admit I never considered to get a Signal myself, but I should

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
The way the Signal is made (in the handles) would be a great way for the next generation of Leatherman tools to have went and may still go :salute:

I didn't have a Signal when Etherealicer talked about this a few years ago but after getting one, I do appreciate the way that they are built and makes me have very similar thoughts about them :salute: :like: :like:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club

btw,
I did the repair, so I have the frame with broken peg left, are you interested? (I have absolutely no idea how much it would cost to cross the ocean)

I was very lucky to replace the 1104 frame, with ... another 1104 frame
:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Well done, m47mu74nt! :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
 :iagree: nice to be able to fix one and having the period correct parts is even better 8) :like:

us Offline hsherzfeld

btw,
I did the repair, so I have the frame with broken peg left, are you interested? (I have absolutely no idea how much it would cost to cross the ocean)
No, thank you. I've managed to accumulate several sets of Wave handles, so I have plenty of spares to experiment with if I decide to go that route. Thank you for the offer, though!
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
little update for teh LM Charge TTi  and Wave+:

- y2007 (0807/1107):  236g/8.25oz
- y2014 (0614/1114) : 244g/8.61oz

New Wave + (2018 > ):
- y2020 (0320/071920): 238g/8.39oz Rq: BO Wave+

us Offline Legend

There are 22 known variations of the Charge+ and easily 70 or more to the original Charge.  This is going to be a monumental task you’re after.  To help, here is a list of the 22 Charge+ variants:

1.  CHARGE+ DAMASCUS CARBON

2.  CHARGE+ DAMASCUS WOOD

3.  GARAGE BATCH# 002: DARKSIDE

4.  CHARGE+ FOREST CAMO
OLD LOGO / BLACK TEXT

5.  CHARGE+ FOREST CAMO
NEW LOGO

6.  CHARGE+ FOREST CAMO
OLD LOGO / WHITE TEXT

7.  CHARGE+ G10 EARTH

8.  CHARGE+ G10 ORANGE

9.  CHARGE+ G10 RED

10.  CHARGE+ SP TOM SACHS "NASA""

11.  CHARGE+ BLACK OXIDE
NEW LOGO

12.  CHARGE+ BLACK OXIDE
OLD LOGO

13.  CHARGE+ BLACK OXIDE
OLD LOGO - FIRST RUN NO ‘+’

14.  CHARGE+ STAINLESS
NEW LOGO

15.  CHARGE+ STAINLESS
OLD LOGO - FIRST RUN NO '+'

16.  CHARGE+ STAINLESS
OLD LOGO

17.  CHARGE+ TTI
LEGACY SCALES

18.  CHARGE+ TTI
W/ ORIGINAL CAP CRIMPER

19.  CHARGE+ TTI (NO CAP CRIMPER)

20.  CHARGE+ TTI DAMASCUS

21.  CHARGE+ WOODLAND CAMO
OLD LOGO / BLACK TEXT

22.  CHARGE+ WOODLAND CAMO
OLD LOGO / WHITE TEXT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Great list :like: I love the variation of Charges out there but wished the prices were better :ahhh :D

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Poncho, you are going to have to sell some organs in order to complete your Charge collection. And I am not talking about the cheap organs like the spleen or the gall bladder. It's going to take a kidney, part of your liver, maybe even a lung to raise that kind of money.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Luckily, I am not a completionist collector  :ahhh or else, I fear you would be correct :D

I more collect what I want and what I can afford :cheers: I try to enjoy collecting without it being a burden on the rest of my life :whistle: in particular my organs :ahhh

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
 :D

I agree that your health is more important than a complete collection  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68