Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replacement tools for can opener

Offline harverster

• New User
Replacement tools for can opener
on: May 03, 2023, 11:14:07 AM
So I just picked up a used pioneer and am looking to replace the can opener tool as I carry a p51 can opener in my wallet and don’t see the need for a second one.  I have a tinker I bought years ago holding a desk drawer down somewhere and was thinking I might want to add that in its place for a secondary razor sharp edge.  I’m wondering if the small blade will fit in the opener layer and if not what might be some good options to replace the can opener instead?

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Replacement tools for can opener
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 12:27:01 PM
You could mod that can opener for technician's screwdriver its easiest way to mod.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 03:37:51 PM
The 91 mm small blade is not a “drop in”replacement for the 93 mm can opener.  Not saying it couldn’t be made to fit, but by the time you drilled out the hole to accept the larger pin size, dialed in spacers and spring tension, etc., I just don’t think it would be worth the effort, even assuming you have the tools and skills to do it.

To the best of my knowledge, there have been three factory tools that have been offered in place if the can opener:

Electrician’s blade (as found on the electrician series of knives) - discontinued- Certainly a good option if you would rather have a second blade than a can opener, but it would probably make more sense to simply buy one of these knives and use it vs. buying one as a donor knife.

Pruner (hawkbill) blade (as found on Pruner/Rancher/Harvester/Swiss Army 7/etc.) - still current production AFAIK, but otherwise same story as the electrician’s blade.

Technician’s (small) screwdriver (as found on the Technician series) - These are discontinued and quite rare, but as suggested in a previous post, the can opener could be modded into a good approximation of this tool without too much trouble.

Some folks have modified the can opener into a package hook, by rounding out and sharpening the inside edge, so that’s another option.

Finally, if you haven’t already factored this in, many people (including me) find that the 93 mm inline awl is fantastic as a beater blade for pretty much any tasks that don’t require either a super clean and precise cut or a razor sharp blade.  So, not quite a second knife blade, but pretty close in many applications.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 04:12:22 PM
Do you need the awl? Cause yeah it’s tech still a can opener but what about the combo tool like on the compact which is still a screwdriver/bottle opener/can opener, but sits across from the blade, if that was the case you could lose a whole layer.. just a thought..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 04:14:59 PM
Can opener converted to Technician style blade. Not very good, my next will be better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man

Offline harverster

• New User
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 11:31:49 PM
I worried that I’d need to futz with grinding spacers and such thats definitely not worth it in my opinion. At least until the mood to really mod a sak hits me.  I will probably just try to mod the can opener to one of those other tools That package hook mod might be more useful everyday as I use my gerber dime’s package blade alot when I carry it.  Using the awl blade for less precise cuts sounds interesting as I have only ever used the ones that come on the back of the 91mm models.  I may look into finding an electrician if I really need the blade but I was just looking for something more useful.  Thanks for everyone’s help!!!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club

Offline harverster

• New User
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 11:40:04 AM
Thanks, I saved that video for future reference.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%