Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Daily Carry - What is too big?

ca Offline BulletProof

Daily Carry - What is too big?
on: January 11, 2022, 05:06:53 PM
My first SAK was given me when I was about 10. The name for it now would be the Spartan but mine had no toothpick or tweezers back then (1972).  My Dad carried the same knife for years - and so did my Grandfather... all Dutchmen.  It was always ready to peel an apple, carve a whistle from a willow branch, or remove a splinter from a finger.  I saw it as an extension of my hand as I grew up - a part of being a functional human being.  In the 70's I could carry my SAK into school with no issues, all the way into high school.  I did have it confiscated once in grade 7 for cleaning my fingernails during class.... but got it back at the end of the day.

Since then I have moderately upgraded.  My carry for years was a Camper which I liked quite a lot until my son bought me a Pioneer-X Alox which has been the knife of choice for the last couple years.  But there are tools I would like to have, particularly when I am a long way from home and have no workshop to go to and grab "regular" tools.

So my question is, how big is too big to pocket carry?  Let's just do this in layers.... 5? 6? 7?  Can you comfortably pocket carry a SwissChamp? I don't have any interest in a belt pouch ( I have a Leatherman tool/bitkit for that when it is appropriate).  But the SAK has always been my pocket carry.

Your feedback is appreciated!

My much loved Pioneer-X in its leather case (attached).

BP

* Pioneer.jpg (Filesize: 199.91 KB)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 05:18:42 PM by BulletProof »
SAKer since 1972

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Daily Carry - What is too big?
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 05:15:25 PM
We have members pocket carrying the Swisschamp.  I've done it myself as well as carry a Champion in pocket.  I think a Ranger is a great pocket carry covering a lot of bases with its tool set.  At 5 layers it packs a big punch.  A big fan of the Explorer and carrying it in pocket for years I'd also suggest it.

So how big is too big?  Workchamp or Workchamp XL in pocket.     
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline BulletProof

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 05:22:25 PM
I think a Ranger is a great pocket carry...

That's interesting... it was the Ranger I was thinking about specifically.... Thank you!
SAKer since 1972

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 05:58:16 PM
It's a hard question but my answer will be 4 layers but not all of them. Huntsman is ok but not explorer, both are 4 layers so I guess my sweet spot are in between

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 05:58:38 PM
I have carried SwissChamp in pocket for now sometime and i dont feel its too heavy for pocket carry.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 07:46:14 PM
The Ranger would be an excellent choice!  It's about like a Huntsman, which I pocket carried for over 30 years, with all the back spring tools of the Swisschamp.
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 07:56:47 PM
That's interesting... it was the Ranger I was thinking about specifically.... Thank you!

The Ranger would be an excellent choice.! :cheers:

ca Offline BulletProof

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 08:03:24 PM
I really like the Ranger.  I love the parcel hook... (is that weird?) I have used it to tighten down loads on the trailer.  I thought the cut-off might be 4 layers... and was thinking about the Huntsman... but the metal file/saw is handy to have.... but if I use that reasoning I will soon end up with the 'Giant" from Wenger!
SAKer since 1972

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 08:14:07 PM
So how big is too big?  Workchamp or Workchamp XL in pocket.   

Depends on the pocket.  :dunno:

I don’t have a problem carrying one (Workchamp) in my jeans or cargo pants or shorts. I’d even say it’s easier than a Swisschamp in some ways.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline BulletProof

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 08:17:06 PM
Depends on the pocket.  :dunno:

I don’t have a problem carrying one (Workchamp) in my jeans or cargo pants or shorts. I’d even say it’s easier than a Swisschamp in some ways.

Is that a WorkChamp in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
SAKer since 1972

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 09:47:24 PM
 :rofl:
Barry

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 11:22:48 PM
I’ve carried the SwissChamp, but I find it to be just a bit too big to comfortable carry it and use the blades. My default is an Explorer, but I recently picked up a (discontinued) Champion Plus (like a SwissChamp minus pliers) and I’ve been carrying that the past few weeks. I like it’s size and weight so far.

Too bad it’s discontinued.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 11:36:24 PM
Really depends on the pants. My weekend pants (usually cargoes) can accomodate a Swisschamp or Rangergrip with ease. My workday pants (slacks or nice jeans) can struggle with something as small as a Climber.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 12:56:11 AM
I've carried a SwissChamp in the hidden pockets of my tactical pants. It does okay in that role, but I feel it is better suited to belt carry. My regular carriers have 2-4 layers; I haven't yet carried anything with 5-7 layers.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 02:11:42 AM
If you're talking "pocket carry", do you mean:
- Loose in the pocket
- On a suspension clip from top of pocket
- On a chain or lanyard attached to belt
- In a slip in the pocket

I carry a Swiss Champ on a suspension clip. Works great.

SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 03:02:52 AM
As others have said, it depends on your method(s) of carry.
I'm a massive fan of MOLLE kit and love my belt pouches, but they just catch on everything during summer and create stoopid-looking bulges under any jacket or coat... which results in many funny looks, jokes about Batman's utility belt, and so on... :(
Unfortunately most SAKs will fall to the bottom of your pocket and turn sideways, which just gets awkward when you move or sit.

I find most SAKs work best with a pocket hanger, as they fit better. Contrary to where the pocket reinforcement strips tend to be, on the outside of my hip, I keep mine hung as close toward my belt buckle as possible. That way the SAK hangs upright along the inguinal line and is tucked securely out the way of everything else, which means I can still get my hand into my pocket!
However, I also wear some pretty fancy cargo pants with lots of pockets, to the point where a pocket-dump photo from me actually makes a SwissChamp look inadequate  :tu:

Is a SwissChamp really too big? Yes, if you're honest.
Do I still cary one anyway? Yes indeed.

TBH, I barely notice the in-pocket weight of my currently-carried SwissChamp... but having it in the hand is another matter. I can use it just fine and it's so full of stuff I need, but there are better SAKs to fit even my unusually XXXL hands. My personal favourite is still my Ranger, but a Handyman is still quite easy to work with and carry.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 04:10:21 AM
For me pocket carrying a four layer like the explorer is a cake walk. Especially if you use a suspension clip- I use an Sbiner like the picture. Heck I’ll carry a four layer in each pocket this way! I’m also in agreement with Steve I’ll carry a SwissChamp or CT34 in a jeans pocket. I’ll use a Sbiner and I’ll clip it over the top of my belt loop so that it bites the inside of the pocket. Then the knife will hang perfectly vertically towards the inside edge of the pocket. That might sound confusing so if anyone is REALLY interested I can sketch up a quick diagram  :facepalm:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2022, 04:36:55 AM
So my question is, how big is too big to pocket carry?  Let's just do this in layers.... 5? 6? 7?  Can you comfortably pocket carry a SwissChamp? I don't have any interest in a belt pouch ( I have a Leatherman tool/bitkit for that when it is appropriate).  But the SAK has always been my pocket carry.

I’ve pocket-carried up through a SC, but I really find 4 layers or fewer ideal for pocket carry.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 05:23:19 AM
I’m gonna pocket carry an XAVT for a day just for the heck of it. I’ll wager a guess that it’ll be too big to be practical. We’ll see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline proletenstahl

Reply #19 on: January 12, 2022, 12:32:34 PM
If you're talking "pocket carry", do you mean:
- Loose in the pocket
- On a suspension clip from top of pocket
- On a chain or lanyard attached to belt
- In a slip in the pocket

I carry a Swiss Champ on a suspension clip. Works great.

I'm really curious about this. I switched from a SAK to a Kershaw Leek for a long time because being loose in my pocket inevitably meant the SAK was in the bottom of my pocket and I was crouching when I realized I needed to take it out. I'm back to carrying a SAK, but I keep it in my bag unless there is an imminent task for it.

Photos would be very helpful. :pok:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: January 12, 2022, 02:44:12 PM
Vic Ranger is about as big as I'm comfortable pocket carrying, though honestly I probably still prefer 4 layers (such as the Huntsman). 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 12, 2022, 04:49:52 PM
Is that a WorkChamp in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Not that happy.

;)

:rofl:

But seriously…all depends on the pants or shorts you wear…and what else you carry in that pocket.

In slacks or suits (haven’t put one in since pre-pandemic at a wedding) max is like a money clip, executive or some of my thinner alox mods.

My Champs also fit the jeans change pockets, which is the way I carried my ‘84 Champion most times over the decades.

“ Is a SwissChamp really too big? Yes, if you're honest. ”

::)
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Jackpine54

Reply #22 on: January 12, 2022, 06:31:47 PM
Swisschamp is perfect on a pocket suspension clip. I don't pocket carry any SAK without a suspension clip ( if it has a keyring).
The ranger is a great toolset, but isn't it just a gateway to the champ?  :think:  :rofl:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 13, 2022, 05:20:15 AM
I'm really curious about this. I switched from a SAK to a Kershaw Leek for a long time because being loose in my pocket inevitably meant the SAK was in the bottom of my pocket and I was crouching when I realized I needed to take it out. I'm back to carrying a SAK, but I keep it in my bag unless there is an imminent task for it.

Photos would be very helpful. :pok:
Here's a photo of a couple of my Champs, one in a leather slip I got on eBay and the other with a suspension clip, also sourced on eBay.

I don't carry any SAKs on a chain or lanyard attached to my belt, so can't provide a photo of that configuration.

* 2022-01-12 22.14.22.jpg (Filesize: 477.24 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #24 on: January 13, 2022, 05:42:00 AM
I always carry a Swisschamp at work in a cargo pocket, no problem.

Off duty, I’ve carried one in my jeans pocket, even the fifth one if it’s big enough. These days it lives in my bag, and a two or three layer rides in my pocket. I don’t like anything thicker there.

I can’t see me carrying anything larger than as SC on my person. I even got tired of pocket carrying my Trailmaster at work (also fed up with having to unlock the blade & flat SD) & returned to a nice slim alox Soldier.
Rambler

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #25 on: January 13, 2022, 11:00:53 PM
My Champs also fit the jeans change pockets, which is the way I carried my ‘84 Champion most times over the decades.
That must have been a massive fifth pocket. The last jeans I bought were Carhartt B460s, and a Case Peanut (2.875 inches closed) didn't fit their fifth pockets very well.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 14, 2022, 04:09:47 AM
That must have been a massive fifth pocket. The last jeans I bought were Carhartt B460s, and a Case Peanut (2.875 inches closed) didn't fit their fifth pockets very well.

:dunno:

First thing I check when I buy jeans. Been carrying a Champion that way most days since 1984. Levi’s and Wrangler examples.

I don’t care for 5th/change pockets that only fit a couplea quarters.

us Offline austin83

Reply #27 on: January 14, 2022, 03:57:29 PM
I’ve carried up to an Explorer comfortably, but I like carrying a Spartan, Tourist, or a Tinker and I compliment that with a SwissChamp belt carry in a Vic Zermatt leather pouch.  I can cover 98% of daily problems with a two layer SAK and the other 1.9% can be covered by the inline phillips and scissors on the SC. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 04:35:52 PM by austin83 »

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 14, 2022, 09:33:20 PM
I’ve carried up to an Explorer comfortably, but I like carrying a Spartan, Tourist, or a Tinker and I compliment that with a SwissChamp belt carry in a Vic Zermatt leather pouch.  I can cover 98% of daily problems with a two layer SAK and the other 1.9% can be covered by the inline phillips and scissors on the SC.

...which begs the question why you don't just go on carrying the Explorer and omit the SC on your belt - seems you don't need other tools than those in the Explorer... :think:

us Offline austin83

Reply #29 on: January 14, 2022, 11:28:17 PM
...which begs the question why you don't just go on carrying the Explorer and omit the SC on your belt - seems you don't need other tools than those in the Explorer... :think:

Man, that’s a good question.  I’m really attached to a vintage 84mm Keyringless Tourist that I’ve been carrying, and I like the being prepared feeling of having a SC in addition.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%