Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Daily Carry - What is too big?

us Offline fuyume

Re: Daily Carry - What is too big?
Reply #30 on: January 15, 2022, 12:05:38 AM
"Too big", to me, is carrying significantly more than you are ever likely to need on a regular basis. I know that a lot of people leave their houses thinking they need to be prepared at any moment for The Apocalypse, but each person should balance their personal level of comfort with a realistic risk assessment.

Since I stopped actively consulting on the road, I no longer feel the need to carry a SwissChamp and Leatherman Wave everywhere I go. For years, I've carried a Rambler and a Gerber AirFrame knife.

I'm planning on replacing the AirFrame with a custom 93 mm Alox knife with scissors, electrician's blade, bottle opener, and inline Phillips. Two layers, everything I am likely to actually use regularly in civilisation, and nothing else.

This will be supplemented by a second custom 93 mm Alox knife in the woods with large blade, reamer, and wood saw. Again, just two layers.

Really, the four layer knives like the Farmer X and/or Harvester X have everything I really need, except the inline Phillips, but since I have no real need for the large blade, reamer, or wood saw in town, I don't want to carry the weight if I don't have to.
冬芽 fuyume (女 she/her/anoko)

Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #31 on: January 15, 2022, 04:46:45 AM
Can confirm, the XAVT does fit in a coin pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 15, 2022, 08:36:16 AM
Man, that’s a good question.  I’m really attached to a vintage 84mm Keyringless Tourist that I’ve been carrying, and I like the being prepared feeling of having a SC in addition.

I hear you, mate.  :cheers: Well, it's an addiction, so no point being rational about it. The OP's question was more or less the equivalent to asking a bunch of alcoholics "Daily Alcohol Intake - How many beers are enough?"  :rofl:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 15, 2022, 08:40:51 AM
... each person should balance their personal level of comfort with a realistic risk assessment.

But if you do that, the answer will always be "A Rambler!", and where's the fun in that?

cz Offline z1913

Reply #34 on: January 15, 2022, 10:07:27 AM
Can confirm, the XAVT does fit in a coin pocket.(Image removed from quote.)

That is a mother of all coin pockets! Excellent!

I see now that all my coin/5th/watch/whatever you name them pockets are simply inadequate, just toys for kids! Not only that, I feel myself inadequate and feel strong need to finally grow up and become a man…
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:21:34 AM by z1913 »
Current SAKs:
58mm - Rambler, Alox Minichamp, SwissLite
84mm - Waiter, Alox Bantam, Excelsior, Tourist
91mm - Cybertool M, Swisschamp, Compact
93mm - Harvester
111mm - Forester Wood, Tradesman
other - Baker's, Floral

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #35 on: January 15, 2022, 11:49:02 AM
Can confirm, the XAVT does fit in a coin pocket.(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl: :cheers:

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #36 on: January 15, 2022, 01:22:53 PM
"Too big", to me, is carrying significantly more than you are ever likely to need on a regular basis... but each person should balance their personal level of comfort with a realistic risk assessment.
I always carry a small first aid kit. It has a few things like a CPR shield, wound clot and a few more things over and above a pack of plasters.
I'm very unlikely to need any of it... but if ever I do need it, I'll damn well need it!

I imagine a good percentage of those carrying SwissChamps and other such kit feel the same about the tools they're unlikely to need.
Besides, SAKs make it soooooo easy to carry just that one extra tool!!  >:D :D

I see now that all my coin/5th/watch/whatever you name them pockets are simply inadequate, just toys for kids! Not only that, I feel myself inadequate and feel strong need to finally grow up and become a man…
You'll not be needing any combat pants, then...? ;)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: January 15, 2022, 07:01:19 PM

Yeah, maybe some of you need to ditch the ‘skinny jeans’ look.  :rofl:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #38 on: January 16, 2022, 12:49:55 AM

All in all I’d say it’s a great EDC knife. I’ll try it for a week and report back.

ca Offline BulletProof

Reply #39 on: February 01, 2022, 04:49:51 PM
To update this post... I went into a brick &mortar store, and hefted a few knives, and went with the Huntsman.  It seemed the right balance for me.

Thank you for all your suggestions!
SAKer since 1972

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #40 on: February 01, 2022, 06:07:57 PM
Good choice  :tu:  The Huntsman is my favorite give away SAK (but I keep a few for myself).

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 03, 2022, 02:20:38 PM
It really depends on the person, the pocket, method of carry in the pocket, distribution of weight, etc. Too many variables.

I think nearly everyone can agree that 2 layers is pocketable. The more layers you add, the less people agree.

but I'll throw this out there:  under six layers and under six ounces is a sweet spot for pocket carrying larger SAKs. Discuss amongst yourselves,

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: February 03, 2022, 03:42:55 PM
Depends on the person and the outfit.  :dunno:

I don’t really count layers or measure weight.

At the extremes, the biggest knife is carry in a suit is a 2 layer 111mm OHO slide lock. But I’d normally stick to a 74mm. And for camping…no real limits. Go all Batman and such. No biggie.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: February 03, 2022, 04:16:45 PM
Too big is anything you cannot comfortably carry.  If its uncomfortable then you wont carry it.  I've carried a Swisschamp in pocket and in a Skinth with no issues.  I've carried a Champion same way quite comfortably.  My Workchamp however is best in sheath and typically a camping tool or my yard tool when the desire strikes.  I did however carry a Explorer for a long time either in pocket or Skinth very easily.  Now a days I prefer to carry a 84mm.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: February 03, 2022, 04:36:06 PM
Too big is anything you cannot comfortably carry.  If its uncomfortable then you wont carry it. 

Well said. Ultimately, that’s what it boils down to.

Now a days I prefer to carry a 84mm.   
Working on my ‘2nd Army’ mods in 84mm. I wonder if I would have liked them as much if I discovered them earlier in my life. Still wishing the made larger ones than the Master Craftsman. I guess my mods will have to do.

nz Online Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #45 on: February 05, 2022, 09:44:27 AM
Man, that’s a good question.  I’m really attached to a vintage 84mm Keyringless Tourist that I’ve been carrying, and I like the being prepared feeling of having a SC in addition.

That's been one of my favourite carries: a keyringless Tourist in my fifth jeans pocket with a Swisschamp in my bag.

I dislike the keyring nubbin on any knife actually, and have even filed it off. It's particularly obtrusive on the 84mm knives, as well as the Wenger/Delemont 85mm ones.
Rambler

Offline Mike Novinski

Reply #46 on: February 07, 2022, 09:43:45 PM
I carry an 111mm centurion. It is on a loop of nylong webbing that hlds a buckle. Thatw ay the whole thing hangs in the pocket. Pop the buckle and the other part connected to the knife comes free in your hand. Would probably work for most SAK's.

* strap edc 1.jpg (Filesize: 22.61 KB)

au Offline Valkie

Reply #47 on: February 07, 2022, 10:03:23 PM
For me, a lot depends on what Im planning to do.
I carry an alox soldier most days, simple knife, can and bottle openers and an awl.
When working in Marine Rescue, I carry a leatherman sidekick (better pliers, serrated knife for quick rope cutting, and screwdrivers, but light enough to carry easily.
Reasonably cheap too, so if I lose it overboard, not a major problem.
When bush walking I carry a Hercules, bigger knife that locks and excellent saw plus some additional handy stuff.
Going somewhere I'm may need a tool, but don't need everything, I carry a Farmer X, lightweight but capable.
When I was working I carried a WAVE, very handy in a factory environment and in mining areas.

But as an every day carry,
Wave are too big, as are Hercules.

There is one other consideration.
Knives are illegal in Australia.
So if I carry, I have to be sure its easily concealed so it does not draw the attention of the authorities.
And a "boy scout" type knife has a better chance of being discounted as a weapon than some other larger knives. (although even a mini is considered a weapon here).
Even so, when travelling on any form of public transport or in shopping centers etc, I carry no knife.

Its even against the law to have a knife in your car here.
So any knives have to be in the boot.
tools is what defines us as humans

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #48 on: February 07, 2022, 10:46:13 PM
There is one other consideration.
Knives are illegal in Australia.
I still haven't managed to get my head around this almost criminal concept... This is the country that birthed the man who gave us, among so many others, the immortal line: "Hah hah hah... that's not a knoife... that's a knoife!". 
They should be issued along with your birth certificate!

nz Offline Storm

Reply #49 on: February 08, 2022, 12:42:17 AM
I still haven't managed to get my head around this almost criminal concept... This is the country that birthed the man who gave us, among so many others, the immortal line: "Hah hah hah... that's not a knoife... that's a knoife!". 

Hear hear  :tu:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: February 08, 2022, 01:59:36 AM
:iagree:
USN 2000-2006

One to four layers of SAK is (usually) best for me.

If you have absolutely nothing better to do, my YouTube channel is awlways an option:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWA0VjH6v3WS6gvLkPGk9KA/

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: February 11, 2022, 04:07:03 PM
To update this post... I went into a brick &mortar store, and hefted a few knives, and went with the Huntsman.  It seemed the right balance for me.

Thank you for all your suggestions!

An excellent choice.  :tu:
Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...

us Offline Farmer X

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: February 11, 2022, 05:52:36 PM
 :iagree:
USN 2000-2006

One to four layers of SAK is (usually) best for me.

If you have absolutely nothing better to do, my YouTube channel is awlways an option:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWA0VjH6v3WS6gvLkPGk9KA/

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #53 on: February 12, 2022, 02:43:51 AM
You know, I got a Swisschamp for Christmas, and have been carrying it ever since. Just in my pocket. Jeans, house shorts, work out shorts (not whilst working out), whatever. Bottom of pocket. No problem. It’s just what you get used to. All those tools at quick disposal are too handy.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #54 on: February 12, 2022, 04:35:53 AM

There are "circumstances " where a knife is allowable.
But the onus in on the holder to "prove" that the knife was necessary.
Self defense is an absolute "NO NO", but in Marine Rescue, a knife is just about mandatory as you could be injured or even killed getting tangled in a rope without a knife on hand.

Fishing, bushwalking, camping etc can be justified, to an extent.
Some knives are considered offensive weapons and regarded as highly illegal.
Self opening knives, switch blades, daggers, "zombie" knives, karambits, and knives that can be opened with one hand fall into this demographic.

Sadly, someone carrying a "Crocodile Dundee" knife anywhere in Australia would be arrested without fail.
In the "bush" or "way outback" you might get away with it, but in town....NO likely.

The only real knife crime we have in Australia is when a couple of punks or kids decide to have a go at each other.
It's really quite rare for anyone to die, mostly it's just stabby stabby, run away.

The only ones that seem to die are family squabbles.
Usually heat of the moment, large carving knife, multiple stab wounds.

My father carried a small pocket knife all his life, never a problem.
I'm 64 years old, have carried a knife since I was a boy scout, never a problem.
I find it obscene that I cannot carry a knife, because my grubberment don't trust me.
But the feeling is mutual.....I don't trust my grubberment.

Offline mattbod

Reply #55 on: February 12, 2022, 06:45:16 AM
Anything above a Climber for daily carry. That is the biggest I carry though  I do posess a Swiss Champ it stays at home. The Cadet and Rambler are the ultimate edc for me: Pioneer X at a push. I tried a Huntsman but was too bulky so gave it to my young nephew who loves it. If I need a wickedly sharp yet safe knife I take my Michael May lambsfoot pocket knife. Anything with a locking blade like an Opinel is a no no for edc in the UK: fine and a criminal record so no thanks lol.

00 Offline tm3

Reply #56 on: February 12, 2022, 05:30:37 PM
It's nice to see so many SwissChamps being carried!

After looking at various reviews and YouTube videos, it seems to me that in general the most popular size for not being "too big" is no more than 3 layers and no more than 3 ounces.

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #57 on: February 12, 2022, 08:13:19 PM
The only real knife crime we have in Australia is when a couple of punks or kids decide to have a go at each other.
It's really quite rare for anyone to die, mostly it's just stabby stabby, run away.
How bad was it before all this prohibition was introduced?

au Offline Valkie

Reply #58 on: February 13, 2022, 05:32:10 AM
How bad was it before all this prohibition was introduced?

To be honest, it hasn't changed much at all.
I went through my youth, living in Sydney and going everywhere and never saw one knife fight or one person attacked with a knife.
And I wasn't, leading a sheltered life.
Yeah, we had our occasional fisticuffs, but knife were never brought into play.

The only knife injuries were people cutting themselves.

It's like gun Crime.
Up until some nutcase went stupid and shot up Tasmania, there were very few shootings.
But since they introduced the draconian gun laws.
We actually have more guns in Australia and more gun crime than before.

It's pointless targeting honest, legal and non-violent people with over the top rules,
If they let the real criminals get off with a slap on the wrist, which is what is happening.
All of the shootings in Australia in the last few years.
Have been by criminals with illegal, unregistered weapons.
All recent knifings have been with huge fixed blade or kitchen knives.

And yet even mini Victoria knives are considered weapons.

Common sense is gone.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #59 on: February 13, 2022, 05:40:10 AM
Back on topic.
I have been carrying my Victornox Herc around the last few days, just to see.

I have it in a comfortable well used sheath in an attempt to make it as comfortable as possible.
I went for a 5 k walk yesterday, sadly I have now a bruise on my right hip from it banging there.

(I did the same walk a few days ago with my Farmer X and didn't even know I had it on me.)

I always carry a pocket knife around the house, but the herc had to come out every time I sat down.

One final observation.
The Herc was great with the Phillips head and pliers, came in handy.
But it's not a daily carry, not for me anyway.
I'll stick to my Farmer X for the time being.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.53
Net Balance: $23.47
Below Goal: $276.53
Site Currency: USD