Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Daily Carry - What is too big? 1186

Newbie Posts: 33
Re: Daily Carry - What is too big?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2022, 12:05:38 AM »
"Too big", to me, is carrying significantly more than you are ever likely to need on a regular basis. I know that a lot of people leave their houses thinking they need to be prepared at any moment for The Apocalypse, but each person should balance their personal level of comfort with a realistic risk assessment.

Since I stopped actively consulting on the road, I no longer feel the need to carry a SwissChamp and Leatherman Wave everywhere I go. For years, I've carried a Rambler and a Gerber AirFrame knife.

I'm planning on replacing the AirFrame with a custom 93 mm Alox knife with scissors, electrician's blade, bottle opener, and inline Phillips. Two layers, everything I am likely to actually use regularly in civilisation, and nothing else.

This will be supplemented by a second custom 93 mm Alox knife in the woods with large blade, reamer, and wood saw. Again, just two layers.

Really, the four layer knives like the Farmer X and/or Harvester X have everything I really need, except the inline Phillips, but since I have no real need for the large blade, reamer, or wood saw in town, I don't want to carry the weight if I don't have to.

冬芽 fuyume (女 she/her/anoko)
Hero Member Posts: 681
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2022, 04:46:45 AM »
Can confirm, the XAVT does fit in a coin pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Life Club Posts: 1,169
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2022, 08:36:16 AM »
Man, that’s a good question.  I’m really attached to a vintage 84mm Keyringless Tourist that I’ve been carrying, and I like the being prepared feeling of having a SC in addition.

I hear you, mate.  :cheers: Well, it's an addiction, so no point being rational about it. The OP's question was more or less the equivalent to asking a bunch of alcoholics "Daily Alcohol Intake - How many beers are enough?"  :rofl:
No Life Club Posts: 1,169
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2022, 08:40:51 AM »
... each person should balance their personal level of comfort with a realistic risk assessment.

But if you do that, the answer will always be "A Rambler!", and where's the fun in that?
Full Member Posts: 121
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2022, 10:07:27 AM »
Can confirm, the XAVT does fit in a coin pocket.(Image removed from quote.)

That is a mother of all coin pockets! Excellent!

I see now that all my coin/5th/watch/whatever you name them pockets are simply inadequate, just toys for kids! Not only that, I feel myself inadequate and feel strong need to finally grow up and become a man…
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:21:34 AM by z1913 »

Current SAKs:
58mm - Rambler, Alox Minichamp, SwissLite
84mm - Waiter, Alox Bantam
91mm - Cybertool M, Swisschamp
111mm - Forester Wood, Tradesman
other - Baker's, Floral
Hero Member Posts: 559
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2022, 11:49:02 AM »
Can confirm, the XAVT does fit in a coin pocket.(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl: :cheers:
Full Member Posts: 227 Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2022, 01:22:53 PM »
"Too big", to me, is carrying significantly more than you are ever likely to need on a regular basis... but each person should balance their personal level of comfort with a realistic risk assessment.
I always carry a small first aid kit. It has a few things like a CPR shield, wound clot and a few more things over and above a pack of plasters.
I'm very unlikely to need any of it... but if ever I do need it, I'll damn well need it!

I imagine a good percentage of those carrying SwissChamps and other such kit feel the same about the tools they're unlikely to need.
Besides, SAKs make it soooooo easy to carry just that one extra tool!!  >:D :D

I see now that all my coin/5th/watch/whatever you name them pockets are simply inadequate, just toys for kids! Not only that, I feel myself inadequate and feel strong need to finally grow up and become a man…
You'll not be needing any combat pants, then...? ;)
No Life Club Posts: 2,893
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2022, 07:01:19 PM »

Yeah, maybe some of you need to ditch the ‘skinny jeans’ look.  :rofl:

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
Hero Member Posts: 681
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2022, 12:49:55 AM »

All in all I’d say it’s a great EDC knife. I’ll try it for a week and report back.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $152.47
PayPal Fees: $9.67
Net Balance: $142.80
Below Goal: $157.20
Site Currency: USD