Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Expedition Lite successor?

Offline frankyboy707

• New User
Expedition Lite successor?
on: February 19, 2022, 11:47:04 PM
Does anyone know if there will be something like an Expedition Lite successor?
I like the toolset of the Expedition Lite, but the digital scales are overkill for me and since it is discontinued the prices are really steep..

I thought about the Swiss Champ but this includes the fish scales and the pliers (which I won't use) and it's quite a lot heavier...

For me the ultimate multitool would be the expedition Lite, without the digital scales and LED swapped for a magnifier (or the swiss champ minus the fish scales and pliers, call it a swiss champ XS or something..)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Expedition Lite successor?
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 01:17:32 AM
Welcome to the forum!  :cheers:

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 01:41:47 AM
Welcome!

Don't knock the pliers...I always carry "real" pliers (Knipex 6" cobras), but last Saturday I forgot, and I ran over a 3"(!!!) Screw on my bike that, absurdly, stayed upright, puncturing not only my tire and tube, but the rim tape and almost penetrated the inner part of my rim. Removing it was a no-can-do with my fingers. Admittedly, it happened a few hundred feet from the local Big Orange Retail Giant, but I have a Swisschamp that lives at the bottom of my backpack and the pliers unscrewed it. From there it was down to my tire levers, spare tube, portable pump and a couple of $$$ notes to cover the holes.

Vic pliers aren't anything to crow about...until they are. What I'm saying is, don't count a model out over one tool just because you don't like it - I'm not a Vic pliers fan, but they saved me from a several mile walk with a bike last week

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 01:42:17 AM
How about a Ranger? Swiss Champ minus the scaler, pliers, and inline Phillips/mag glass layers.

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Ranger
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 07:08:28 AM
If you can find a Champion Plus, that would be a Swisschamp minus pliers, but would still have the fish scaler.

Of course you could always get a Swisschamp and remove the layers you don’t want.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 09:08:23 AM
To answer your original question, although I don't positively know if Vic has plans for a successor to the Expedition Lite, I strongly doubt it. SAKs with the Lite module are scarce and seem not very popular, so Vic will be hesitant to introduce any new models. That being said,  I still hope for a Climber Lite after last year's Winter Magic LE.

But given that you don't seem to be interested in the Lite module anyway, I agree with the others that a Champion (Plus) is what you should be looking out for. They can still be had at reasonable prices, the fish scaler adds little bulk and is actually quite functional once you realize it's more of a prodding/stirring device.

Offline ComboTool

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 10:52:45 AM
Of course you could always get a Swisschamp and remove the layers you don’t want.
Or merge a Ranger and an Explorer for the same result.

* IMG_6651.jpg (Filesize: 219.1 KB)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 11:00:17 AM by ComboTool »

Offline frankyboy707

• New User
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 02:51:32 PM
Thanks for al your answers, much appreciated

If you can find a Champion Plus, that would be a Swisschamp minus pliers, but would still have the fish scaler.

Both sound as good options, I hadn't heard/ read about the Champion Plus..

However it looks like it's quite difficult to find an champion plus here in Europe/ The Netherlands for reasonable prices..

For removing layers/ modding a SAK, how does that work? Is there a guide or something?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 04:07:18 PM
I appreciate and was a big fan of the Swiss Champ.  I had Champions before but they never grew on my.  Fast forward a few years and I picked up a Champion again.   :woohoo:.  Yes the fish tickler is a odd ball but...........  As said its a prodding poking tool.  I still like the SC but I appreciate the Champion so much more than I ever did.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 08:39:29 PM
For removing layers/ modding a SAK, how does that work? Is there a guide or something?

There is a lot of great information here about modding SAKs.  Sometimes the challenge can be sorting through it all.

There is an entire sub-forum dedicated to multi-tool modding, much of it about SAKs:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?board=16

This is a good place to start for SAKs:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43303.0.html?PHPSESSID=a2449ffd46d86e0ee4410eae6e1dc2b9

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%