Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What size brass rods to replace / add a layer to my 91mm Cellidor

Offline pkaterges

• New User
I'd like to try my hand at modding an Victorinox Sportsman,  I just want to swap out the corkscrew for a Phillips.
What size brass rods and drill bits do I nee to get?

Thanks

Paul

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
You need 2.2mm brass rod, unless you reuse the pins and do ‘open heart surgery’ like I do.

There is a guide written the needs new pin stock written here:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83228.msg2043063.html#msg2043063

It uses grinding to remove the entire pin head. I remove the pin so it can be reused and re-peened. Driving a new 3rd pin in the back should use a slightly tapered pin, IMO. Rounded or chamfered at the very least.

Two different 3rd pin only techniques I use either 1) do not remove any material from this rivet or 2) do not remove any pin length. Either of these techniques leave enough to re-peen the rivet and only back it out enough to replace the CS/Phillips or whatever backside tools for the intended swap like chisel and small SD, which are the same size. Those are my only hints and tips on this subject. Good luck with the swap.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline pkaterges

• New User
Any suggestions on where I might find these rods?  All I find is 2mm for instance...

Thanks for all the help!

Paul

us Offline hsherzfeld

Any suggestions on where I might find these rods?  All I find is 2mm for instance...

Thanks for all the help!

Paul
It’s a real pain to find 2.2mm brass rod; I have yet to find a good source. I normally take 2.5mm rod and grind it down until it fits through the 2.2 mm holes in the liners. It’s a crude method, but it works for me.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Search the forum for 2.2mm…a source from the UK should pop up. I think the seller in Germany with Adler pin stock dried up. I haven’t seen him list the 2.2 material lately.

There’s other 2.2mm material available globally that will work too.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

What size brass rods to replace / add a layer to my 91mm Cellidor
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 11:41:05 AM
The British cannot buy SAKs on Ebay and EBay’s shipping costs are extortionate compared to a standard USPS service, and Americans struggle to purchase 2.2mm brass rod.

Perhaps we can negotiate a mutual aid pact?

(I have some that I can send you if you get stuck).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:48:01 AM by SAKTaschenmesser »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
The British cannot buy SAKs on Ebay and EBay’s shipping costs are extortionate compared to a standard USPS service, and Americans struggle to purchase 2.2mm brass rod.

Perhaps we can negotiate a mutual aid pact?

(I have some that I can send you if you get stuck).

This is a great idea for anyone willing to do it. (Not me)

My suggestion for anyone in the states shipping to the UK is to list any items as ‘MULTITOOL’ to avoid potential issues.

I’ve considered stocking enough 2.2mm brass to distribute, but there’s no way it would be worth the effort and time for me. Whatever price I could reasonably set would just end up getting undercut by a domestic competitor. And it just got worse this year for small/home businesses and IRS reporting requirements.  :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%